Big Decision - thinking about defecting to Crackberry Curve. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by SC-Texas, Jul 27, 2008.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas New Member

Big Decision - thinking about defecting to Crackberry Curve. Opinions?

The title says it all.

Verizon rep is pushing the blackberry Curve for my next phone.

Why should I pick that over the Q9C?

Pros or cons?

I like the Q and know the Q.

Don't know anything about the Crackberry except all my friends have them and love them..
  2. Shemmy

Shemmy New Member

I've had both Blackberries (8100, 7103, 8130) and WM devices (T-Mo MDA, VZW PN-820, and now a VZW Q9c). In many ways, the BBs are much easier to use than WM devices. "They just work," so to speak. The OS is quite stable and rather speedy, and I find that one really doesn't have the issues one does with WM. Conversely, the software library is smaller (given that BBs have been more or less exclusively business devices until recently). Another issue with BBs is that carriers really don't allow you to get one without a data plan. With a WM device, you can usually forgo data if all you want are solid PIM features and other useful applications. It's nice to know that I can add or remove my data feature based on my budget and still be able to use the other aspects of my Q9c. It's all going to come down to a personal preference and what you want out of a device. For a long time, I swore by BB and Linux, now I'm using a Q9c and running Windows Vista. Go fig.
  3. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

agreed with everything the above poster said. id take the bb if I was willing to pay for their bb data plan ($30)
  4. ian13550

ian13550 New Member

+1

I've had a few BBs before my new company forced the Q9c on me. The quality is only getting better with the BB and it "just works" the way you think it should unlike the Q9c (which works how MS thinks you should use it).

If your company has a BES, it's a no-brainer. Otherwise, you have to deal with the BIS which is not all bad.

Best of luck whatever choice you make.
  5. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

Why not see if Verizon offers the upcoming Blackberry Bold?
    So far, it is slated for AT&T, but there may be a version for Verizon.
  6. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

please do not double post!

other thread has been deleted
  7. SC-Texas

SC-Texas New Member

What is the BB Bold?
  8. ajskhan

ajskhan New Member

9. SC-Texas

SC-Texas New Member

Looks like the Bold will have Wi-Fi capability.

Wonder if Verizon will have the bold available?
  10. papped

papped New Member

Bold will be nice with the 600+ mhz processor.

But they have a lot less software than WM and the data is definitely more expensive...
  11. miro

miro New Member

I've never even considered BB as a viable alternative because of the extra data charges.
  12. gmardre

gmardre New Member

I was told by VZW rep that "Verizon Wireless does not support WiFi."

I'm gonna do the iPhone thing as soon as my contract runs out.

g
  13. nahzekology

nahzekology New Member

I love my Q9c but that BB Bold is something else. If and when Sprint gets it, I may have to defect. Sorry.
  14. yameen1

yameen1 New Member

Why, specifically, are you considering the Bold? What are the features that you think might be better?
  15. papped

papped New Member

The only 2 things I really see going for the BB bold are:

1) Very nice display. The resolution + very tightly packed screen supposedly looks even cleaner than the iPhone.

2) High speed processor. I'm sure at 600+ mhz it will run much smoother than the q9c.

Other than that though I don't see a whole lot... Guaranteed you will have less apps than WM and the browser options are generally less and worse for BB. Also the BB Bold looks pretty damn wide...
  16. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

It looks like an 8830 updated. If verizon gets it, it won't be the same phone. The rest of the planet is allowed to receive gps signals freely but somehow verizon wants to charge you for what's already floating out there. If verizon could charge you to listen to FM radio, they would. They will disable the gps just like they did in the 8830.

The 8830 is a pretty good device. Opera Mini runs on BB's too. From what I've seen, there are tons of apps for BB's but some are pricey. It's just that the BB's seem so simplistic in their capability; like a palm OS device. A WM phone feels like a little PC.
  17. Bozz

Bozz New Member

I like the look/feel of the Q9c -- but the Blackberry Curve is a nice unit as well... and as others have said........ it just works.

The Q needed software (not all free) and some hacks to make it work right for me.... but its fun to tinker with.

The curve has its limits too, but the email and messaging functionality work with less headache and manipulation.

Bozz
  18. SC-Texas

SC-Texas New Member

I looked at the Bold and it looks like a nice unit. I might wait for it to come to verizon.
  19. papped

papped New Member

Well tbh, you're paying $30 (a month) for that service, so it better work easily.

I don't have much trouble getting hotmail + EAS up and running on the q9c though, other than having to find windows live to download.