Best OS for Original Q?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MattTren, Sep 5, 2009.

1. MattTren

MattTren New Member

Best OS for Original Q?

I'm reading all kinds of stuff about this, but as of yet, have no clear answer. What is the best OS for my Original Q on Verizon? If it means I should stay with WM5 that is fine. I don't care about "features" i just want something that works for the basics (SMS, and Calling), and works well. I am just trying to "refurbish" my phone so it will hold out until the Motorola Andriod comes out for Verizon (that's another issue, ugh! they are taking forever). I have all my contacts and everything I need backed up. I just believe it's time to reformat the phone, since my new case and battery should be in by Tuesday.

The two simple questions are:

What is the best OS for the original Q on Verizon?

Where can I download that specific ROM?
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Active Member

WM5. It's on your phone.
  3. MattTren

MattTren New Member

I know this much, but the phone is a couple of years old, I am wondering if something newer may have been released for the phone in the interim. After all i read some articles and forums on other sites, and even this forum that 6.1 has been put into this phone specifically (but GSM not CDMA).

Like with Windows on my computer, I reformat and reinstall it every year or so to keep it "fresh" I am wondering if I could do the same and update it since I am getting my new case and battery in on tuesday.

There is nothing majorly wrong with my phone, but sometimes it glitches up, freezes, and does stupid crap like that.
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

there was no update to anything other than WM5 for the original Q. The original Q was only a CDMA phone. If you're hearing of 6.1 for a GSM Q it's either the Q9h or the Q8. Both of those originally shipped with WM6. At any rate, the Motorola software updater most likely won't work for you any more. It's almost guaranteed that all of the original Q units out there are out of warranty. Unfortunately the MSU won't update a phone that's out of warranty
  5. ciper

ciper New Member

6. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

are you sure they are not just WM5 ROMs with the last MOL update?
  7. ciper

ciper New Member

Some of the MOL updates did upgrade the AKU (among other things) so my answer would be maybe.
  8. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

I looked today, if you put in a purchase date of this year it will let you download the update.

My Q has:

OS 5.1.195 (Build 14960.2.4.0)

I ran the Motorola update tool and it did say there was an update but my battery was too low to continue.
  9. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it will let you download the software updater, but the software updater checks the warranty status of the phone based on the phone's ESN
  10. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

It allowed me to update mine. Not sure what it updated but it took about 10 minutes.
  11. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

wierd

(10char)
  12. mike250rs

mike250rs New Member

regardless... you will still have WM 5. Just with the latest firmware updates (MOL) It will still look and do exactly the same as before possibly with some improved battery life but that is about it.
  13. stryker412

stryker412 New Member

Yes sorry with regard to the OP I didn't mean to infer you'd get an OS upgrade.

[​IMG]
  14. ciper

ciper New Member

Do you tether? Have you ever used the Internet Sharing application under WinMo5? It is far superior than having to select modem mode from the phone before connecting the USB cable,,, which disables active sync. An update to AKU 3 would be awesome