battery

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by love26, Feb 24, 2009.

1. love26

love26 New Member

battery

I had the mistaken impression that rechargeable batteries like to be run completely down and then recharged. Not so for Li-ion cells.

I ran my Moto Q9h extended battery down by leaving the screen on and playing all my music files. When I woke up it was too dead to restart. The phone worked fine on the regular battery.

I plugged it in to the wall recharger which gives no indication of being functional - however it worked on the regular battery.

As I read more about these matters I thought maybe the internal protection circuit that prevents too much over-/under-charging had kicked in so I tried using the USB charging function, which always worked OK but still no joy.

Will the phone run with the battery removed while connected to the USB as my laptop does? Nope.

Any ideas other than that the battery cannot be recovered without a means of de-activating its internal protection circuit?

Love.

Any ideas?

Love.
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Try turning the phone off and recharging the battery through the wall charger. If it is totally dead, it could take a while to charge...
  3. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Yup....do dat up der ^^
    :)
    i recently ran mine dead (camping, no charger). thought i killed it..plugged it in left it alone alone and off for a while...good as "almost" new.
  4. love26

love26 New Member

Thanks. I left it on the wall charger for about 15 hours and still no sign of life so I guess I indeed "bricked" it by falling asleep while it was singing loud/long and lighting up the room.

Oh, well there's thousands of replacements in some warehouse in China, I guess. I never read the small print so don't know if batteries are covered under some warranty. I've only had it a couple weeks.

Love.
  5. love26

love26 New Member

I would like to say that the response from Motorola's (after a fairly reasonable amount of talking to a machine) warranty department was quite awesome. No need for a Return Authorization (or even a return). They just took my word for the battery's failure and are sending a replacement right away.

Makes me feel very glad I got this device - the support from both Moto and ATT has been very polite/effective and this forum reflects those values.

Thanks

Love.
  6. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member

Great, thats how ATT has worked for me each time (haven't dealt directly with moto). Now you can feel a bit more comfortable w/them.

Enjoy the Q
  7. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

I have always found that li-ion batteries always like to be charged in short spurts many times through out the day. And I can never stress this point enough, don't charge your battery over night. There is no reason to put your phone or battery through that much.
  8. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

having tried both ways over several years, I haven't noticed a major difference caused by either charging method. since the phone will stop charging when the battery is fully charged I see no real harm in leaving the phone plugged in over night. Basically charge the phone in whatever way works best for you.
  9. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

As a standard best practice, one should charge as little as possible. Having worked in this industry for some time and having approx. 1800 batteries go through my hands weekly, some patterns have occurred. More people have called in for replacement batteries during their "1 year replacement plan" stating that they leave it on over night vs those whom only charge minimally.

But as stated above by PacoJr67, do whatever works best for you. The data however states otherwise.
  10. manbat

manbat Active Member

So, Batteries4Less......

Any chance any body will produce a replacement battery for the Motorola....BA5X and/or BA7X batteries? These fit the Q9n/Napoleon.
  11. love26

love26 New Member