Battery

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by fab, Jun 2, 2006.

1. fab

fab New Member

Battery

Seems it use a 1130mAh battery. That's quite good. Is it possible to replace the battery? Say, can I buy one more spare battery to use? What is the price of a battery?
  2. Splash

Splash New Member

I'm sure extra batteries are available for purchasing, if not from your network provider than definately from Motorola themselves. If you have a charger why would you need another battery though? I would imagine it's got quite a pricetag for something you'd hardly ever use.
  3. motomouth

motomouth New Member

That is a good battery. I too wonder how much a replacement would cost. For the phone that I have now I can get a replacement for $10.00 on ebay so I curious to see what the expense will be.
  4. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

Battery

the battery is the worst part about the q! once the battery discharges its very hard to get it recharged. my q does not seem to charge when i leave it on connected to the wall charger. the phone seems to only charge when the phone is turned off.
  5. gadget

gadget New Member

I have had my Q for abour a week now and I haven't had any charging problems with mine.
    I primarily chage it connected to my PC, I have only used the wall charger a couple of times.
    I have both the standard and the extended battery and they both seem to charge just fine.

I have read on another forum that if you run the battery clear down it will not charge back up using the PC/USB connection (It also states that in the manual).
  6. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

Battery

I currently have my Q plugged into the wall outlet using the travel charger that came with the device. I have had it plugged in all day, I think that my unit or battery is defective. If you read my post I pasted responses from several other users that had this same problem.
  7. gadget

gadget New Member

I did read your post, I gave my opinion and probably should have stated that I would suspect that you do have a problem either with your battery or the charger. My guess would be the battery.
  8. skyler

skyler New Member

the technology used in rechargeable batteries these days is much more advanced than a couple of years ago. however, just like everything else they can be horrible and rechargeable batteries are way more susciptible to damage than standard batteries. By damage i mean that they can stop retaining charge and just "die." this, of course, can happen with off the shelf rechargeable batteries as well.

most manufacturers of rechargeable batteries recommend that you get into the habit of allowing your battery to discharge before you plug it into an outlet. As opposed to leaving it plugged in all the time. This is actually in the Moto Q manual and you will also find it in the manuals of many portable laptop computers. i'll post a more thorough, technical explanation later, if anyone is interested.

All that being said, the standard battery is not that great for us heavy, even medium users. The extended battery does a pretty good job of lasting a bit longer... lol ...
    I think VZW and Moto predicted this and as such they are offering the Extended Battery at $40 off: it is currently $19.99 ... i am pretty sure that is a promotion right now and you should definetely take advantage of it ASAP.

I will also be doing some serious battery-life tests in the near future, i will post my findings in this forum :cool:
  9. vzwchick

vzwchick New Member

Great Battery Promo!

Verizon has a promo for the Extended Batterys right now...

59.99 - 40 rebate = 19.99... Great Deal!! :D
  10. nrw

nrw New Member

I ordered my Q on Friday - it should arrive on Wednesday. But I saw the VZW promo for the extended battery and bought it after reading about the issues here!
  11. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

That's a great deal. Plus, the dock allows you to charge the internal battery and spare battery at the same time.
  12. skyler

skyler New Member

thats the best part!! =o)
  13. NexusCore

NexusCore New Member

I agree that the battery sucks! I've had mine for about a week now. Today it was cool becuase I wasn't send much mail, or checking things on the net. I just basically let it sit and it last all day. I am leaning towards that replacement battery.
  14. skyler

skyler New Member

There is a serious discount on the extended battery: click here
    Its $20!! I have one, its great.... :thumbup:
  15. motomouth

motomouth New Member

Wow that is a great deal. I hope that it is not because of all the defective batteries that people are complaining about? Maybe they had a mastermind scheme? LOL
  16. EdW

EdW New Member

battery

Extended batteries are still available for 19.99 with 40.00 off and this offer is good till the end of July and they limit you to 3 at a time. I got 3 today.
  17. Timaphillips

Timaphillips New Member

I had a few days of battery life being around 3-4 hours!!! Luckily, I did some digging and found some useful tricks. I had wireless sync ("push") and a standard email sync (every 15 mins.) set up on my phone. With all of that running at the same time, the battery life was being sucked really quick. So, I went back, redid my wireless sync (the right way) and got rid of the sync that checks email every 15 mins. Now I have a full battery after a full day of tinkering around with it. On a side note, I called Verizon today and the guy on the line told me that I might want to make sure to "kill all" apps after using them (especially the internet enabled ones). Apparently with Windows Mobile 5, according to him, if you don't manually kill or restart your phone after using IE for example, it keeps running. Some of you may have noticed this when simply hitting the end button when listening to an MP3 in the media player and still having it play while sitting at the home screen. PS- I had a similar experience with my wall charger a few days ago. When I plugged it in (or at least thought I did) for the night, I woke up to a phone that wouldn't boot. So, after a few minutes of frustration I got it charging again. Hasn't happened since and lets hope that was a one time deal.
  18. Merdredes

Merdredes New Member

I have the same problem charging my phone overnight when the battery is low. When I unplug it in the morning, the "battery low" notification window appears. I have to turn off the phone in order to charge it.
    On a related note, the backlight goes off when plugged in, even with the "backlight time out on AC" set to "Never". Any explanations?
  19. nrw

nrw New Member

Extended Battery Cover

Anyone have issues with the extended battery cover not being very tight on your phone? Mine seems to slide up/down a little bit and doesn't feel like it's snapped on tight enough...

Unsure
  20. jerryjr

jerryjr New Member

I recieved my extended battery on Tuesday and do not have any problems with the back cover. I have read other people having issues and using tape and other items to fit the cover tightly.

I am exteremly happy with the performance of this extended battery. So far I've gone 36 hours and the battery has dropped only 1 level. On the standard battery, I was charging nightly.