Battery Problems!!

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by hiphopreneur, Jun 11, 2006.

1. hiphopreneur

hiphopreneur New Member

Battery Problems!!

:mad: This phone has a charging problem! when it runs out of power it is very hard to get it to recharge. many users have said they have had to turn the device off to get it to charge.
    Here are some of the battery probs i found on other forums:

"Is anyone else having a problem with their Moto Q battery not lasting. I feel I am a normal user when it comes to my phone and I have to recharge it in the afternoon. Is this normal or do I have a deffective battery?"

"I would agree the battery life is a big problem issue. Mine will not last a half day without recharging - went to the extended battery and still could not last a day. I do not consider myself a heavy user. Motorola - should address this issue - not sure I will keep the phone."

"My phone will not charge using the USB connection or the travel charger (550mA) unless the phone is OFF. Is this supposed to be normal? That will be a deal killer because as I explained in the other thread, I missed a pretty important phone call because my phone had to be off while I charged it (since it died after only 18 hours of being on...)."
  2. skyler

skyler New Member

that is absolutely not normal.

although, Moto claims that the USB cable WILL NOT charge your battery. It will only maintain the charge. That is what the manual says... a bit troubling, i havent actually thoroughly tested that yet, it may be true. I will let everyone know what i find.

i had an interesting event happent to me today: my regular battery just died with absolutely no warning... i have to look into that today...
  3. gadget

gadget New Member

That is misleading the way they have worded that in the manual. I think what they are saying is that the USB cable will not charge a completely dead battery (there are several posts on Howard Forums that verify this).
    I have had my Q for a week and have charged it every day using my computer USB cable and Motorola Docking Station and it charges just fine. I have charged both the standard and the extended battery that way. It may take longer, I'm not sure about this. But the only time I have really used the wall charger was for the first initial charge.

Here is the wording from the manual:

battery charging
    New batteries are not fully charged. You can charge your battery by connecting the power supply to your phone's mini-USB port and plug into a wall outlet. Your phone displays a full battery icon or Charge Complete when finished.

Tip:
    Relax, you can’t overcharge your battery.
    It will perform best after you fully charge and discharge it a few times.

Note:
    If your battery has been completely drained, it cannot be charged via the USB cable plugged into the computer (this connection will only maintain current battery life). Use a wall charger or car charger to recharge the battery. Some computer USB ports provide a higher current than others, and will provide more rapid charging.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

4. skyler

skyler New Member

interesting... thats what quick reading will get u... lol... thanks for clearing that up... =o)
  5. motomouth

motomouth New Member

Oh boy I am not looking forward to that. I already have one phone that kills me to have to charge it. I hope this is just an odd thing that is happening on the one that you have. GOOD LUCK!
  6. jimmie geddes

jimmie geddes New Member

I learned this the hard way today. I thought the usb cable charged the phone my Q was dead fast this morning.
  7. ckest13

ckest13 New Member

Something may be wrong with your battery. I am a heavy user of the internet and my battery won't last 4 hours without it. Extended battery maybe 6 hours.
    Also, when you don't have service, it drains the battery even more. Not sure why but that is what I was tol.d
  8. woodman

woodman New Member

Battery problem

I, too, have noticed my battery draining quickly. The larger problem, however, is that after 15" of being on but unused, the power shuts off (despite a charged battery) and cannot be turned back on without a soft reset (removing the battery). This has occurred since Day 1 despite fully charging the battery. Tech support can't help except recommending an exchange.
  9. Cohiba

Cohiba New Member

I had this exact problem, I brought back to the VZW store and got a new one!
  10. zinger084

zinger084 New Member

My battery wont even charge all of the way and when I take it off the charger, it won't even last an hour on standby.

What gives?

Is the battery bad or something? It has only shown charge complete one time and since then, it wont even charge at all...

Any idea?
  11. danimal1968

danimal1968 New Member

That's not right, especially with the new software upgrade that just came out, which dramatically improves battery life.
  12. zinger084

zinger084 New Member

Any idea what I should do about it then? Just call up Verizon or what?
  13. danimal1968

danimal1968 New Member

Yep. An hour of standby time, even for the original software on this phone, is way abnormal.
  14. yunghkim

yunghkim New Member

i have the same problems with my phone, i can only charge the phone when i turn off the phone but i can turn it back on once i see that battery indicator. if i try to connect the charger while the phone is on, i will see the battery charging indicator but it'll drain my battery dead. another weird thing is that sometimes my Q just restarts by itself or turns off and i have to turn it back on.
  15. Sniperet

Sniperet New Member

What you describe is not normal behavior for your Q. Mine has no problems if I connect the charger while the phone is turned on. Also I have not had any problems with my Q restarting or shutting down by itself. My only problems are some infrequent lock ups (once every couple of weeks) which I attribute to all the stuff I have done to the software.

If I were you I would take it into the carrier and demand they fix or replace it, keep in mind chances are 99 to 1 nobody will no the first thing about a Q and should just replace it.
  16. yunghkim

yunghkim New Member

i'm almost tempted to get the treo 700wx but i dont want to spend the extra $150 for features i dont need. the Q has everything I need and the feel of the QWERTY was much better than the treo 700wx. I guess i'll try changing the phone and see what happens, i do have
  17. reptileluver01

reptileluver01 New Member

Here's the answer!

My Q was giving me problems such as the battery until the new flash upgrade was installed and my battery gave no problems, however my Q then stayed on the internet and would not disconnect. Everytime i checked my verizon account within minutes you could see the data usage sky rocket! They thought i was initially tethering. Took it n the store and showed them what i was talking about and showed them the usage on the store laptop after loggin in to my account. Of course we did the terminate all apps thing!

Well i tore a fit with customer service and they are shipping a new one out today. I would complain to customer service much as possible, and demand a replacement. I spend big bucks on my Q because i already received my discounted price on a phone earllier in my contract. Complain to customer service...call call call!! :angry::tounge:
  18. essej840

essej840 New Member

should i be charging mine with the power off because i am having thesame problem mine does no last for more than 8hrs when it is not in use.
  19. ricko

ricko New Member

im on my second q as of 2 weeks ago
    my phone went on a fritz and was calling and texting people on its on and verizon didnt know what was up so they replaced it for free. my old q was awesome, stock battery would last all day and then sum, now i got this new phone it sucks down the battery when i dont even use it, and its even my old battery not a new one, any suggestions? on my old phone i changed some things to make the battery last longer im guessing i need to do it on this phone too just cant find the thread about it
  20. thanoman

thanoman New Member

I am having the exact same problem. My battery has been dying by the afternoon and I don't want to have my phone off charging in the middle of the day. Did you ever get your's fixed? I wasn't able to charge the phone on my car charger either for some reason tonight...even when my phone was off.