Battery Meter or Charging Issue?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by miro, Mar 11, 2008.

1. miro

miro New Member

Battery Meter or Charging Issue?

Hi all,

I'm actually a Q9c owner, but a coworker just got a Q9m from eBay. The phone works fairly well, but the charging indicator doesn't seem to work. If you charge the phone while it is powered off, the battery meter never shows any progress. On my phone as the charge completes, the meter will start from 25%, 50%, etc when it is displaying the charge animation.

On my recommendation, he also purchased the extended battery from this site and we are trying to charge that battery now. It's been three hours and the meter is still "charging" but still starting from the 0% position. Is this a problem? The phone never reports a full battery, so it's hard to tell what the real battery life is like. Should I try a master reset?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
  2. stinkerdoodles

stinkerdoodles New Member

Hey,

I bought a new Q9m a few days ago, brand new from the Verizon store. The book says that it has to be off to charge it the first time. When the phone is off and charging, there is a huge, full screen icon showing the battery charging and indicates when it is fully charged. (Like you describe when charging your phone.) However, as I am charging for the second time, I tried to just plug and charge without turning the phone off. I see the battery plug icon on the power indicator, (top right of screen) but there is no way to see when charging is complete. I unplugged the charger and the power indicator read 100% (4 bars) but I wasn't convinced that the battery was fully charged since it had only been charging such a short time. So, I turned off the phone and resumed charging and in fact, the full-screen indicator read 50% charged as it continued to charge.

To answer your question, if the Q9m is powered off and then plugged into the charger, you should see a full-screen charging indicator in progress. Meaning, the longer it's charging, the higher the bar goes....sorry that was stupid. So, I would guess you could likely have a defective charger, especially since the new battery doesn't seem to be charging well.

Now for my question: Can anyone answer once and for all whether or not you should charge when your battery is completely discharged, or is it OK to charge a partially charged battery, keeping it "topped off" so to speak.

TIA,
    Kelly

3. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

I believe ppl say it's bad for your battery to to let it completely discharge and recommend that you charge your battery frequently.
  4. coop5571

coop5571 New Member

You should see an animated battery meter when you are charging with the phone off. The battery will appear full when the charge is complete. You should see a battery with a "plug in" when charging while the phone is on & unless you have edited the registry to disable this feature, you will get a notice "charge complete" when the phone is on. It sounds to me that either the battery is bad or the mini USB charger connection is bad on the phone. If a master reset is not too much trouble try that, other wise i would suggest returning it, but since it was purchased on ebay that may not be an option. Let us know what the result is.
  5. TLCalhoun

TLCalhoun New Member

Charging Meter

Good morning everyone (at least it is morning where I'm at)

Recently purchased this Moto Q 9c to replace the old reliable Sidekick unit. I noticed that a few people here commented about their battery icon showing the battery life to X occasionally.

I'm also having that problem. While the battery icon would have an x on it, I notice that my charging meter would have a big RED X on it. After waiting a while, disconnecting the charger - I can see that the battery life status bar (under Power Management) actually has increased.

Is there any way I could be ensure it is WORKING and not DOUBTING it? Really need to have a reliable phone so that I, as a deaf individual, could remain in contact with other people.

Thanks in advance.
    TLC :smile: