Battery Meter Accuracy

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by comptiger5000, Jan 19, 2008.

1. comptiger5000

comptiger5000 New Member

Battery Meter Accuracy

Is there any way to make the battery meter more accurate? I have already tried running it dead and recharging it. With my seidio 2100, I just ran a continuous youtube loop for a while, it ran for at least 2.5 hours after the low battery warning (I went to bed). From this, I figure that low is really about one third. Any ideas?
  2. Tristan944

Tristan944 New Member

I had a similar problem on the Q9c. Had about 1/7 of the battery left and it turned itself off while I was using Window s Media Player. I guess the battery meter is only a rough estimate.
    Also, after I fully charge my battery it does show that it is fully charged. But if I leave it sitting around for an hour or two, it still shows it is fully charged, which for the most part it probably is, especially because I have the extended battery. But when I plug it in to charge (while it says its fully charged), it shows that it is about 3/4 charged.
    So when its not charging, it shows full. When charging, it shows its not full. Any ideas? Thanks brethren.
  3. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Might just be the way it is. Your battery indicator is divided into 25% increments. When the phone is NOT plugged into the charger, if it shows 4 bars, it means that the battery more than 75%, and if it shows 3 bars, it means it is more than 50% but less than 75%. But when you're plugged into your charger, if it shows 3 bars, it means that you have more than 75%, but less than 100%, and it would only get to 4 bars when you are 100% charged. So, if you had an 80% charge, it could show as 4 bars when not charging (because it's more than 75% charged), and then only show 3 bars if you plugged it into the charger at that moment (because it is not 100% charged). The battery indicator mat not be that accurate, but you get the idea.
  4. Tristan944

Tristan944 New Member

True. What about the battery bar in the "Power Management" area? It seems to show a much more accurate indication of the battery's current state. The home screen has 4 increments as you stated, but in the "Power Management" area it looks like it probably has about 100 increments.
    By the way, how do you know so much about all this stuff? Im continually amazed. You should write a book and put all this stuff in it.
  5. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

That one may be more accurate, but I would think that it also does the same thing, just in smaller increments.

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm only passing on the stuff I've learned from the real experts here at EQ. You can find out just about anything you need to know by checking out these forums.
  6. lgluck

lgluck New Member

My battery meter doesn't seem to work either. I noticed that my phone can show three or four bars for days at a time. Now, I'm pretty soft on my phone and I try to turn off the wasteful programs but still, it didn't seem right. So I did a little experiment - I checked the battery in Power Management then did a soft reset and went back into Power Management. And I was right - the battery life indicator jumped down a good 25% or so percent just because of the soft reset. Apparently my phone doesn't really monitor the battery drainage well at all. (I should mention I'm on my second Q9m and the first one that I had for three weeks never had this problem and, in fact, I was very satisfied with the battery meter in the first phone.)

I'm concerned about this because I can't afford to have this phone die ever again - we all know that this phone doesn't revive well from the dead.

Has anyone else noticed that their battery symbol or power management meter is not accurate? Has anyone come across a fix for this?

Thanks!
  7. capo8488

capo8488 New Member

I've never noticed it. but like rainmaker said it goes on 25 percent incriments..I used phoneAlarm for a while and it had the battery meter which would should 25 50 100 percent. I don't think third party apps will give the exact percent.
  8. lgluck

lgluck New Member

I'm talking about the meter in power management, not that I lost one bar after soft-resetting. I don't think that meter should be jumping in such huge increments. Also, I've tried this again and again to find that the same thing happens - the meter in power management barely moves, and sometimes doesn't move at all, even after using known powerdrainers like bluetooth, until I do a soft reset.

I just checked again. Before the soft reset, my meter was about half full, stopping just above the b of the word "battery" in the phrase below the meter "Backlight time out on battery." After the soft reset, it's now over the "i" of time out. It obviously wouldn't have progressed there by itself and I would've been left with a dead phone.
  9. go to iliumsoft software, and purchase their battery meter program.
    Its great, but a bit pricey and makes it hard to customize homescreens.
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

just wondering, does that one -like most i guess- do the increments of 25% ?
  11. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

looks extensive.. to say the least.

12. yep too much both in features and price.
    software for these devices are reaching a price point that is too high.
  13. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

yea, this one has a bit tom much fluff... as you know i beta/test quite a bit, so i am able to keep the cost down.
  14. some apps from the palm os did things so well, for minimal cost....
    Does the cost of apps for wm have to do with it possibly being a harder platform to write for?
  15. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

that could very well be the/a reason...

potQ.
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

People need the program sometimes, so they know they can charge a bit more, given the base users.
  17. I guess...its amazing how the cost of phone apps is approaching the cost of some desktop apps
  18. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

theres a battery plugin for your homescreen (which i use) that shows how much battery you have left in small increments
  19. lgluck

lgluck New Member

Which plugin?