Battery Life SUCKS

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by akgoulds, Mar 30, 2008.

1. akgoulds

akgoulds New Member

Battery Life SUCKS

Any suggestions on how to get more than a couple hours out of battery? Just spent more $$ on large capacity battery...after 18 hours charging, still won't tell me it's full and runs down to nothing in 4 hours.:angry:
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

When you charge the battery the FIRST time make sure to give it a full uninterrupted charge.
    Tips to increase battery life, turn off your IR (Q1 only). keep the bluetooth off unless you are using it. Set any email accounts you have set up to manual send/ receive, shorten the time the backlight stays on. If you are using a Q1 download candellight (reduces the brightness of the screen to save battery)
  3. akgoulds

akgoulds New Member

What does it mean when, before it says it's fully charged, you end up with a big red "X" on the charging screen?
  4. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

You said it's an extended battery, which one did you get?
  5. akgoulds

akgoulds New Member

3.7v 1400mAh
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Does the original battery do this? It is possible (though infrequent) that bad batteries make out of the factory.
  7. akgoulds

akgoulds New Member

No...battery supplied with Q did not do this...I unplugged the Q and plugged it back in...the red "X" went away, but couldn't get a "Charge Complete" message either.
  8. lexicon

lexicon New Member

you have to consider a number of variables such as do you use bluetooth all the time, are you using pushmail all the time ... etc. These things have significant impact on battery life. Try a app called candlelight that allows you to dim the screen display, I program it to run via ctscheduler (dimmed from 7pm - 9am) and that helps cut down on battery drain. I don't leave bluetooth on all the time, you can also shut down the infra red beam auto receive which will also help a lot. I cut down on my pushmail or mail retrieval to once a day for non-time sensitive accounts and use push mail for my main account only from 7am - 10pm. My live.com account pushes mail from 7am - 11pm, everything else is every 4 hours. This has helped my battery life last 2-3 days.
  9. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

and a 1400 mah is only 100 more mahs than the original q battery so it should only last about a half hour longer than the original batery. so the 1 u bought isnt even a extended battery it is just basically a egular battery
  10. akgoulds

akgoulds New Member

Appreciate the info...that pretty much seals the deal for me...this piece of crap is going back. "Charged" it again all night long only to wake up to another red "X" on the charging screen...it's going back if for no other reason than it's a piece of crap!
    So far, I'm less than impressed with all the problems I've had with the Q...does it ever get better?:frown:
  11. rainmakerrc

rainmakerrc New Member

Don't know if it's an option for you, but FWIW, the battery life on the Q9's is much-improved over the Q1's.
  12. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

my bad the standardis 1100 mah i believe but google 3200 mah seido extended battery last up to 3 or 4 days 4 me
  13. constantmotion

constantmotion New Member

My standard battery is 1130mAh.
  14. clein58

clein58 New Member

i downloaded candle light. it saves the battery by lightening the screen.
  15. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

i want sure on that i was just guessing in the general area
  16. IQTOO

IQTOO New Member

I too have had problems with my battery life. Both the extended and regular battery didn't hold a charge for more than 18 hours. I purchased a new battery from Verizon and it did the same thing. So now I'm going to turn off the Bluetooth when not using it (though my old razor had the bluetooth on all the time and I got a weeks worth of battery life). But what is the IR? I believe I have one of the original versions. I purchased it from someone privately and not through Verizon.
    Thanks
  17. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

If you have the Q1 the IR (infra-red) port is on the left side of the phone by the mini SD slot. Although I can't remember where the settings to disable it are.
  18. IQTOO

IQTOO New Member

I'll look into. Thanks for the tips. I hope this helps my situation with the battery. Other than that, I like the phone.
  19. IQTOO

IQTOO New Member

Connector

I think my problem can be related to the actual connection between the charger and the phone. I notice sometimes, even after I connect the two, the phone isn't really charging. If I wiggle the connection a little, it'll begin to work. I hope it isn't the connection in the phone because I'm sure there's no way to fix that without spending a lot of money. :frown:
  20. Stlheadake

Stlheadake New Member

I have the original Q and I am pretty happy. I have had a couple of minor issues, but they were easily fixed. One think I learned rather quickly is that you have to go to start >system tools and open task manager. Right soft key (menu) and kill all active tasks. The q is a task hog and will keep tasks active even though you kill them.

I really like mine! But then I use mine to sync my calendars, manage email, and to communicate with clients. I think that there are plenty who are looking for a pseudo game boy and this really isn't it in my opinion....