battery life is not great now, what happens once we get multitasking?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by bnk999, Dec 16, 2010.

1. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

I barely make it a full day now on my Focus, what will multitasking do to the battery life?
  2. Despair

Despair New Member

You'll have to buy a higher capacity battery I imagine, I know I will once the option is available.
  3. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

Well first off I'm pretty sure we are gonna get the same type of faux multitasking that iPhone has. So the difference shouldn't be HUGE if true. At least thats what I assumed we are going to get.

Second off, whats to say they won't find a way to further improve battery life? This is a very early OS. There could still be tweaks to make.

That being said no matter what smartphone I use I'd be lost if not for my car charger and the fact that my drive to and from work is 45 mins so its charging all that time.
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yup! This is a habit I have developed since my first smartphone. Just like how everyone leaves their phone charging while sleeping, do the same while driving. You're not supposed to be on the phone anyway while driving. If you are, GET OFF THE PHONE AND DRIVE!!! :mad::p
  5. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

I have to use it to change to the next song!

Especially since neither MS or Google have had the foresight to develop a USB to Device audio interface to truly compete with the iPhone for in car use. Very annoying that...how hard can it be!?
  6. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Agreed that would be a great device to have!
  7. Fleon

Fleon New Member

I was pretty concerned with my battery life when I got it until I realized that pretty much everyone I know now has to charge their phone daily- iPhone users, Android etc. I definitely get worse battery life than I did on my iPhone 1, but I suddenly remembered that that phone is on EDGE, not 3G, and the battery life should be worse because of that sole reason. I get MUCH better battery life than on my Android Samsung Captivate however. Much better.

When I was watching my battery meter constantly in the first few days, I was still a bit worried, but I'm beginning to think the way WP7 handles battery life is a bit strange / misleading. The first 50% of my battery seems to go much faster than the last 50%, and I assume this is because of some sort of power optimizations built into the OS. Having said that, I am impressed with how much usage I get before needing to charge. Here was my usage yesterday:

45 minutes of playing music in the car on the way to work
    30 minutes of Netflix streaming over 3G
    Approximately an hour of talk time
    3G internet browsing- maybe 30 min? Not sure on the time on this
    about 45 minutes of playing Project Sunburst (very entertaining)
    3G download of the whole new Michael Jackson album from Zune
    45 minutes of playing music on the way home
    3G chess game with Game Chest (maybe another 30 min)

At the end of the day, I still had >30% battery life. Phone hadn't been plugged in at any time all day. To me, considering the more extensive than normal 3G use yesterday (Zune download, Netflix, Project Sunburst, Chess) I'm pretty happy to end up with any battery at all. I am very aware that I use my phone much more than I did when I had either an iPhone or a Captivate, so I'm willing to accept charging it everyday. The initial rapid battery drain did concern me a lot at first, but I'm beginning to just mostly ignore it and accept that my phone is going to get me through almost anything I want to do in a normal day.

It's not as good as the battery life on the iPhone 4- no question there. But I also don't know anyone who uses their iPhone as much as I did yesterday and doesn't charge it overnight either. So really, I guess it doesn't matter to me that much. Usage models end up the same.