Battery Life is Horrible!?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by shane5505, Aug 28, 2006.

1. denakel

denakel New Member

What is the candlelight program?

2. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

help w/candlelight

can someone talk to me like i am a 3rd grader....how do install this program? do i just drop it on the device from the usb connection?
  3. troutseth

troutseth Guest

4. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Go to
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dennisq/attachment/728701.ashx

on your Q. Follow the directions on your phone. You will have the ap in your start menu which will let you toggle the screen dim.
  5. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

ok, so i just....

Ok, so i just drop it anywhere on the Q while i am "exploring" it? and then it will find its way to the start menu?
  6. troutseth

troutseth Guest

f you go to that URL on your phone, it should start give you an option to download and it will start installing automatically. Then you will have it in your start menu.
  7. suavecu

suavecu New Member

I explored the Q, went into the program files directory, and dropped it in there. Then, on the Q, I clicked on Start, navigated to File Manager, and then highlighted the .CAB file and clicked the center navigate button and followed the instructions.
  8. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

up and running

Well, ok. i've installed it and am using it. Hopefully i see a difference. For about the the 1st 2 weeks of owning the Q. It was awesome. I would get atleast a day, normally a day and a half before i needed to recharge it...and i was using it constantly...texting, checking email, surfing the web, making calls! I was a phone junkie!

Now, that the novelty of some of the features have worn off, and i've started to learn my way around the phone, and used some of the tips for battery maximization...i dont get a day not using the phone at all for more than a couple minutes of phone calls...when i leave for work at 8, it is DEAD...like battery completely dead, shuts itself off DEAD, by the time i get home at 530... and i dont surf the web, and maybe talk 10-15minutes daily on it. I turned off the "searching for IR" thing...What the Hell??!!

hopefully candelight helps this thing out, otherwise i'll be at verizon thursday looking for some answers!!
  9. suavecu

suavecu New Member

Installing the candlelight program made a difference for me. This is the first time my phone has lasted longer than 24 hours (I keep it on at night when I go to bed).
  10. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

<sigh> now what?

ok, so day 1 with candlelight....

phone fully charged as i unplug it at 8am....

day at work usage:

send 4 txt msgs
    read 4 txt msgs

read 2 emails on outlook

7min 38 seconds of talk time

after using it, i "kill all" running programs.

5:30pm phone dies completely

is there a doctor in the house? this thing is killing me!

is there a solution? what is the next step?
  11. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

Have you tried to disable revieve beams? I did this and dramaticaly increased my battery life. I use my q for pics/vids/text/calls/ and listening to sirrius and mine almost lasted all of last weekend with the standard battery.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Ok I will start with this; the battery is still not great. I just ran my Q for 27 hours on the standard battery with 10 text incoming 3 out, 5 emails on Push, and just under 3 hours of talk time. Here is what I have done:

1) Candlelight on dim
    2) Beam is off
    3) I removed about 18 registry entries for PMSN which was always running
    4) Kill tasks via QTasks by double clicking 'x' when I am done instead of backing out
    5) do not use vibrate - it takes a lot to run the motor
    6) lock the phone when not using so the screen is off

Now the big one . . . I am in EV network all day. I would surmise that 1X will kill battery especially if you switch between.
  13. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

well, i have turned off the incoming beam thing last week...didnt notice a difference. If anything when i did that, is when i started having battery issues! prior to that i was getting a day and a half of phone life, while constantly on it! BC THAT MAKES SENSE, huh?!

to my knowledge i am in EV all the time...

i do put it on vibrate at work, but if i dont get any calls, i wouldnt use the battery, right??

i havent edited registries or anything like that...i dont even know what that really means!
  14. ///Mike

///Mike New Member

Hi Everyone,

I just got the phone/registered to the site. I am also having battery issues. I have the extended battery. I do a lot of web browsing, txt-ing, and I'm am usually signed onto AIM through the Agile Messenger while I'm at school. It's 1:40 PM right now and I have one bar of battery left. It was fully charged when I unplugged it this morning.

I read through the post and I my "Beam" was turned off to begin with.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

EDIT* I forgot to add that the back of the phone is quite warm throughout the day... normal?
  15. cbusguy23

cbusguy23 New Member

Where and when you charge your phone might be a good thing to consider. I have the charger that came with my phone in my office, I bought a car charger, and if I need a charge while at home on the weekend I plug into my laptop with the usb cable.
  16. ///Mike

///Mike New Member

I'm always plugged in with my wall charger <_<
  17. cycle53

cycle53 New Member

Ok so how do I get this candlelight program. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
  18. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

19. davereed3

davereed3 New Member

today is a new day...

well, i dont know why or how or even what... but yesterday my phone lasted all day and i even talked on it for more than a couple hours and by bed time, it still had 2 bars of battery life! I was tempted to not charge it last night and see where it was at in the morning, but i didnt...not guts i guess!

i talked on it, i sent txt's, i checked my hotmail on the web..AMAZING! i love my phone again...for now:laugh2: :2cool:
  20. ///Mike

///Mike New Member

I just realized today that I keep forgeting to shut off my bluetooth when I'm not using it. My phone is still up and running right now and I've been using it like normal all day long: sending/receiving txts, email, internet, agile messenger, etc.

Haha, I guess bluetooth really drains out the battery.
    My phone works perfectly :laugh2: ... for now :wink: .

///Mike