Battery Life is Horrible!?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by shane5505, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Stryker

Stryker New Member

Battery Life "My Impressions"

I think the battery life is about the same. I noticed before the update that the battery monitor would stay at 3-4 bars all day then by the time it got to 1-2 bars it would quickly deplete in a couple hours. Now each bar drops down faster but each bar has been consistent with the battery drain. I believe the battery display is now more accurate to actual battery life. Just my opinion. I'm interested in what you guys have noticed too.
    By the way I use the extended battery and frequently kills apps and use Oxios memory. My primary usage is TCPMP, Browsing, Phone and games. I also use candlelight for dim setting. I use my Q approx. 4-8 hrs a day.
  2. seineil

seineil New Member

Batteries

Is the battery under warranty??
  3. ripsom

ripsom New Member

I have been using my Q as a phone and once an hour e-mail retriever. I average less than 6 hours for a battery. For that reason, when in the car I have it on charger now.

rip..
  4. Hi-Tork

Hi-Tork New Member

Thanks for the tip Tag...you hit the nail on the head for me...I was just at around 20 hours of life, bumped to 3 days...:thumbup:
  5. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

These are extraordinary tips guys.. Thanks..

Yesterday I left for work with a full charge on my extended battery. I made a 25 minutes call enroute to work. By the time I arrived, I noticed my extended battery level was less than 1/2!!! Wow.. Freaked me out.. Regained my balance and had the thought to check Settings/Connections/Beam. Sure enough, somehow in the process of doing some tweaks I had "Receive Incoming Beams" ticked/enabled. That one is a biggee.. Having that setting enabled will eat your battery for lunch. I unticked it and now I'm good to go..

The Candlelight program is awesome and a "Must Have."
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dennisq/archive/2006/08/28/728701.aspx

B
  6. dipgolf

dipgolf New Member

Oy. Battery problems here too. I believe I have a bad phone. It seems like every other day I wake up and my phone doesn't have a charge. I plug the phone in everynight before I get in bed and make sure that the phone shows that it is plugged in. I wake up and it still shows it's plugged in, then I unplug it to find it's out of juice. I've tried different outlets and no luck. It's either the charger or the phone obviously.

This crappy town doesn't have a corporate store, only a private contractor, so I have to drive an hour to the Memphis area to talk to the tech. I guess I could deal with Verizon over the phone but that's always a pain in the butt.
  7. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

If you are going to trade yours in, try a cold boot on the phone first and see if the battery gets better. That fixed one our bad Q's. :thumbup: The settings restore after the firmware update we did had corrupted something.
  8. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for all the great tips here! I've culled them and placed them in the Everything Motorola Q Wiki under... you guessed it Battery Saving Tips. Feel free to add to the list as necessary.

I'm also going to add the FAQ.

Thanks again!:thumbup:
    Chris
  9. ccokeman

ccokeman New Member

I had problems with battery life and was killing all the running tasks several times a day. My extended battery would only get me through about 20 hrs. Beaming off, backlight and screen timeout down to 10 seconds. The fix vtdropout found and still the same problem. I use the phone only as a phone and storage drive for now. But i stopped killing the task MMS the other day and now am getting 48 to 72 hours worth of life from the phone. I was pretty well shocked so i'm letting MMS run whatever it is. Hope this works for somebody else because this was the only change that i made and i'm now happy again.:thumbup:
  10. atoner

atoner New Member

My battery life problems are back after subsiding for a couple of months.

I have the sw update. BT and beam are disabled.

Last week, the standard battery started dying after about 6-8 hours. I'd charge overnight, leave at 8-9 a.m., and the phone would start going downhill around 3-4 p.m. It'd be totally dead by 5. Windows Mobile starts acting funny and unreliable when the battery is low. For the past couple of months I could go more like 12 hours.

I tried alternative chargers with no improvement, e.g. iGo.

I tried the extended battery and even it seems poor. It'll last about 12-16 hours, but not the 2-3 days I've heard others get. It stays very close to full for about 8 hours, but goes very quickly from 60% to the battery alert.

So far I've left processes running including Outlook, MMS, notes, file manager, Internet Explorer.

I make a few calls during the day of a few minutes each. I have push e-mail from my Outlook server and get 50-100 e-mails a day. I'm in an EVDO zone and recieve at most 1k of each message automatically.

I'll try a few things in software before bringing the phone in for service, including:
    reduce e-mail size to 500 bytes
    roll-back recent registry hacks and software additions (call initiation tone, Moto Q Hacks, SmartTweaker, registry editor, notepad, etc.)
    master rest

Adam
  11. GWK

GWK New Member

Atoner; are you getting good connection with the towers all day. I typically have 2 days of battery life from the standard battery except when in an area of town were service is weak. In these areas, I can run out of battery in just a couple of hours. I typically use my phone for email (150 - 200 a day) and net surfing. If this is not the problem, with the other suggestion already covered, I suggest you speak to Verizon.
  12. atoner

atoner New Member

I usually get 2-4 bars, but I'm not sure when it is in my pocket and getting e-mails during the day. The strange thing is that today, my extended battery has been going for about 18 hours and is still at about 75%. Yesterday is would have been dead hours ago. I didn't change any of my habits or configuration today, but I did have one power cycle.
  13. Suture

Suture New Member

I recently purchased the extended battery. It's like night and day. Before, I had to keep the phone tethered to my laptop to continue charging while I was at work or it would be dead about an hour after I got home. Now, I leave work and still have a really strong battery.
  14. BubbaRob

BubbaRob New Member

I may have figured out the cause of my serious battery drain. When I am at home my phone goes from 1X to EV all of the time. I have read elsewhere that this can cause significant battery loss as the phone is switching sources. This makes sense as when I am at work, the battery lasts much longer and I have a constant EV signal.

This is true for the Blackberry also in reading some of the posts at their site.

Rob
  15. sunshine

sunshine New Member

Battery Life

Where can I get he Candlelight prgrom, I will try anything to improve battery life I have entended battery and use it only fot talking and emails
    and phone actually locks up and wont even work unless I shut down
    once battery is at 50% which seems to come very quickly

Thank you
  16. BubbaRob

BubbaRob New Member

Here is what I have found. After doing a Master Reset and NOT going online for anything including email...etc. My standard battery has lasted over 16 hours with video and music playing occasionally and normal phone usage.

I have found if you go online for any reason, the phone then begins to periodically check for mail and that is what is killing the battery. I know, thats the purpose of the Q, however, I bought it mainly for the contact/calendar and txt message qwerty keyboard, I have access to email all day, every day at work and home so that was not important to me. I only paid $99 for it so to me, it was worth it.

For those of you who use it for emails etc it seems you will suffer high battery consumption.

And I was ready to throw in the towel but not anymore as I have found the cause of the high battery drain from my experience...

Here is Candle Light ----> http://blogs.msdn.com/dennisq/archive/2006/08/28/728701.aspx

Rob
  17. sunshine

sunshine New Member

THANK YOU!

For those of you who use it for emails etc it seems you will suffer high battery consumption.

And I was ready to throw in the towel but not anymore as I have found the cause of the high battery drain from my experience...

Here is Candle Light ----> http://blogs.msdn.com/dennisq/archive/2006/08/28/728701.aspx

Rob[/quote]
  18. fulwave

fulwave New Member

With Candlelight My regular battery lasts all day!

The free "Candlelight" app in the download section of the site is a great way to extend battery life. Why Motorola did not include a way to dim the screen to increase battery life I will never know.

Thanks to the programmer that made the candelight app.:laugh2:
  19. fmkjr19

fmkjr19 New Member

I have the extended battery

I have the extended battery and each day I get less... I might get 10 hrs on a good day... It was better when I bought the extended two weeks ago but each a little more seems to diminish... I might take the battery back and get a replacement for it...

frank
  20. hOEz

hOEz New Member

Wooo Hooo

I recently purchased an extra standard battery, because im not away too much. Normally my phone would last from about 730 am wen i left to school n would die between 3-5 depending on the usage. After doing Unchecking the beam option, and installing the candlelight program the change is amazingg... I left the house 730 am as usual, used my phone for some web browsing, txt msging, n 2 or 3 calls. Its 6 oclock now and i still have a full battery going. I am very impressed.