Battery Life is Horrible!?

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by shane5505, Aug 28, 2006.

1. shane5505

shane5505 New Member

Battery Life is Horrible!?

Just got the Q. Really happy other than a few minor problems... one being the battery life. I had the Samsung i730 (which had horrible standby and talk time) but this one seems even worse!? It advertises better times in both areas (almost double for standby). But today, for example, I did not make a single call ( I had about 10 minutes (total) of using the phone and by 4pm I was getting a prompt that the battery was extremely low. Does anyone have complaints about the standby/talk times? If not, maybe I have a settings/software issue that may be causing this drain. There's always the chance that it has a defective battery as well. Anxious to hear about your experiences with standby/talk times.

Thx.
  2. nyugirl2005

nyugirl2005 New Member

you can buy one of those heavy duty batteries with extended time. I have the same issue.

Im thinking its a good investment.
  3. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

The battery that comes with the Q sucks. Get the extended battery. Motorola knows it sucks that's why the extended battery should still cost $20.00 - although I think it should be free. I use my Q on and off throughout the day. The extended battery lasts me about 13 hours.
  4. brandon1

brandon1 New Member

I'm not having this problem...I have had my Q on all day playing mp3's, using msn, phone calls, texts and everything and it's still got full battery life. Granted I bought it 2 days ago...did your problem occur after a while? In which case it's probably a shitty battery model. My Q came with a small battery and a larger battery with another back piece to fit.

If it's been crappy since day one I would guess that you didn't allow the battery to completely drain and then completely recharge. The first recharge is crucial in determining battery life for these kind of battery packs. Hope I was of some help, good luck!
  5. Sprk Jonz

Sprk Jonz New Member

Yeah, I'd take it back. My regular battery lasts 2 to 3 days with calls, texts and web brwsing.

Be sure to check Task Manager. I hate that the default is for the phone to leave processes running once you exit each program. Don't know if that causes battery drain, but it doesn't hurt to kill all of the processes occasionally.

Also, that extended battery (which was on sale for $20 from Verizon, last I checked) is awesome. I charged it and then tried to drain it to 40% for storage and it took several days just to see a slight decrease!
  6. shane5505

shane5505 New Member

Message from Sprk Jonz

I'm unfamiliar with the task manager. I have a feeling it is either a bad battery or I have programs running or software I've installed that is draining it. How do I check this task manager?

Sorry... and thanks.
  7. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

....save battery power...

go to settings / connections / beam / uncheck "recieve incoming beams" Ive seen over 2 days of usage on a single charge.
  8. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

Thanks for the reminder!!!

...how soon I forget! I turned it on a few days back to exchange some info with a buddy.

Chris, we need to get a 'battery saving tricks' in the faqs or in a sticky thread.

-Simpson

...and by 'we' I mean you. :whistling
  9. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

What does this actually do?
  10. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

The candlelight program cuts the backlight down by 50-60%. That has to help out battery life.

-Simpson
  11. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

This stops the q from always searching for incoming beams. This program constantly runs in the background (simiilar to a phone in a bad area, that is always searching for a signal) It draws power as it sees fit to always maintain itself at a level to recieve incoming beams. With this option turned off, you will conserve a substantial amount of power.
    [​IMG]
  12. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

Gotcha. How does this affect phone/Internet signal? Does it means more drop calls or anything? Seems like it might.
  13. lebox97

lebox97 New Member

I think the battery life/expectation is all relative to your type of usage...

primary reason I got the Q is that my laptop/PC has been sent to manufacturer for repairs... and the Q has been keeping me connected to the internet for 8-10 hrs a day - and if this means 2-4 hours of run time before re-charges - then that is better than the laptop it is temporarily replacing... (ie. I am using this as 90% computer - 10% phone)
    when I get my laptop back from repairs - then the Q will become 90% phone - 10% computer.... and I will then expect to get days between the re-charges like a phone should?

I prefer the form factor of the Q w/ standard battery - and have not considered the extended battery...
    in the meantime I have an AC, DC, USB, and Home Depot-Energizer charger within reach at all times! Wink
  14. TAG1976

TAG1976 New Member

I havent seen any effect as far as diminshed internet signal when I stopped the Beam, but im sure anything is possible.
  15. bavarian3

bavarian3 New Member

I do agree that it depends on the useage....but like Simpson said, the backlight is one issue that is resolved with the candle light program that is on the forums.... other than that, I have been using the reg. battery and I am not seeing bad battery life.
  16. mc3

mc3 New Member

Turn off bluetooth when you're not using it helps too.
    Start\Bluetooth\Bluetooth Manger\Settings
  17. Kupe

Kupe New Member

Turning off the Infrared beam receive will not affect the RF of the phone ... except to give it more battery power.
  18. JessJenn

JessJenn New Member

Thanks everyone for the tip!
  19. djlactose

djlactose New Member

I had battery issues on my Q when I got it what I noticed though as the Battery "broke-in" it lasted longer. Also adding the Candle light program really helped out the life of my battery. Upgrading to the large battery didn't give as much of an improvement as I had thought though.
  20. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

I agree. It takes a few cycles for the battery to reach full ability. I was shocked at first too but now it's way better than my i600 smartphone ever was.