Battery drained while charging

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by SkankAssMoFo, Jun 8, 2007.

1. joel2

joel2 New Member

Is everyone who is experiencing this problem using the mini-usb charger(s) that came with their Q's?

I had this problem when I used the mini-usb chargers from my old blackberry on my new Q...
  2. h2osho

h2osho New Member

Here is MY SOLUTION and I think you should all try this.

I have had the same issues with charging and waking up to a dead phone and I only had the Q for 2 months.

Plug in your Q and make sure that it's NOT charging. Yep....plugged in but not charging. Then gently press the battery cover in a few place while the front of the phone is facing you. Somehow my Q, and mayeb thousands others need the battery to be SEATED just right for it to CHARGE.

If I fickle with the battery cover just right while applying pressure the phone will actually charge!

What a PITA!!!!!

I find this most prevalent when I'm using my car charger and one second it's charging and the next second it's not. It flip/flops back and forth until I press the battery cover and gently place the phone on the car seat while the charge indicator is on.

PLUS getting that damn battery out of the phone is the worst enginering I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~
  3. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Mine will charge in the morning at work. But at night, it will not charge left on. I have found thaat if I turn it off, plug in it in until it starts charging, then turn it on...it will charge at night.
  4. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

I'm fairly new with the Q and have had only one instance of not charging while on. (had the same 2 bars in the morning as it did when I plugged it in)
    I've found if I kill all tasks just before plugging it in it seems to be good.
    Don't know if it's the real answer, but it's worked the last 3 nights in a row. :smile:
  5. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

OK-that's not it either. Plugged in last night after killing all tasks, 2 battery bars showing.
    This morning...2 bars showing. :embarassed:
    Turned it off, plugged back in, battery picture comes on and starts "filling up" but from empty, not 1/2 full. Looks like I may have had the discharge while plugged in thing happening.
    I think i'll try the other battery that came with it, if that offers the same results, I'll try a different charger.
    Will post results.
  6. joel2

joel2 New Member

hey bjack56, your's came with two batteries?? mine only came with one. did you buy a more expensive package or something? how did you get the extra battery?
  7. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Ebay purchase-came with standard battery/cover, extended battery/cover, usb cable, wall charger, activesync cd, box/manual.
    I just assumed this was the normal package-guess I got a better deal than I thought!!
    I LOVE this phone, once I figure out how it likes to be charged all will be well.
  8. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

We in canada get them for free with the phone. the OEM regular and the OEM extended.
  9. h2osho

h2osho New Member

No way you get 2 batteries in Canuck Country with your Verizon version. And even if you did I'm sure your batteries only run at a 94% rate of the US batteries anyway!!

LOL...just kidding!
  10. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

And the even funnier part is they cost me over $100US for the batteries alone....LOL:tounge:
  11. toomanyhandles

toomanyhandles Member

Just wondering if you noticed, the Canadian dollar is [edit] at a record high and will/should be equivalent to the US dollar by years end as of yesterday [edit]. (sorry, posting too early in the AM).

Nice to see W's fiscal policies come home to roost.
  12. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Well, I didn't try the extended battery (yet). Same results last night (plugged in w/ 2 bars, same in am, shut it off, now it's charging)
    I tried a reboot-just a shut off/turn on-just before I plugged it in last night, to eliminate any kind if hung up/1/2 running programs.

Know what? I'm getting real suspicious (sp?) of the charger. 2 reasons, one being the usb cable, when I plug it in to sync, kind of "snaps" in-far tighter fit than the wall charger.
    Secondly, after it's unplugged from the usb cable, the battery shows more charge than what it said before plugged in. It's only what I'd call a "surface charge" goes back to whatever it said before fairly quickly, but it obviously took on some charge.

I've got a desk cradle, another wall charger and car charger all (supposedly) OEM Motorola on the way from Ebay, I think I'll wait and try them before I go too much farther.
  13. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

You know what'd be handy? Some kind of plug-in app. that showed charging status when plugged in instead of just the (A/C) icon.
    Anyone see something like that around?
  14. toomanyhandles

toomanyhandles Member

Perhaps just leave it plugged into the computer/ USB for a while to charge it, then. The only time the USB will not charge it is when the battery is totally flat.

You can see the status of the battery even while "plugged in" if you go to setting/ power management. It's not a charging icon but there is a battery level. It does update, as well- I did look at it while charging and it read 80% or so, I got the "charge complete" message and looked again, it was at 100% (via A/C charge but USB will be the same, just a little slower).
  15. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

I'll give that a look-as it is, I'm feeling like I need to shut it off so I can see the battery filling up and I KNOW it's charging.
    Thanks for the tip!!
  16. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Update-for a change of pace, last night I tried plugging my 2-bar-battery level phone onto the usb cable to the computer instead of the wall charger.

Got up, unplugged it, viola...charge complete message.

So, I can't be too mad at the phone-hope my ebayed chargers /cradle show up soon, and I have similar results with them!
  17. cma

cma New Member

Pliers might help

I've had a Q for a while and experience this problem occasionally.

Read on a forum that if you take some pliers and squeeze the mini-USB connector slighlty with them, it helps make better contact on the Q.

I did that to one of my USB cables and I think it helped. At least the connector doesn't shift around as much.

Good Luck!
  18. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Well, thanks to everyone for all the replies-perhaps I'll start a new thread after all my chargers/cradle have come and I've tried everything.

Or maybe I should call Telus and see what they say-still under warranty, if they want to give me another one I might as well grab it, just wonder if it'll have same problem.

It's not a big deal for me to shut off each night, just bothers me that something isn't right.
  19. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Update again...recieved the cradle today, gave 'er a try at lunch-only took about 45 minutes as the phone was full charge this morning, but when I took it off the cradle it said "Info..Charge complete"

WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!!!!!

(same cord that wouldn't work plugged into the phone is plugged into the back of the cradle...go figure)
  20. Michael Pursley

Michael Pursley New Member

The Battery drain solution that I found.

I had the same problem for the first couple of months. Infact, I made them give me a new phone because of the battery drain problem. Not only, did the phone completely drain itself when I plugged it in to charge, but it would, on occasion, discharge itself within 2 hours after it registered fully charged.

YYyyesss, I listened to the experts who said "kill all the apps" a procedure which will solve all the phone's problem, and which I did religiously. I also, checked the phone connection each night to make sure that the phone registered as "connected" (a good thing to do!). But none of these things "solved the problem".

I am not sure that I still have the problem solved, but two phones and one 3200Mah battery later I found that when the phone did discharge on me, and it did even with the second new phone and the second extended battery, it was after I messed with the phone's internal alarm clock, either by setting it or by adjusting it. Eurika! I will buy a new alarm clock for the phone and see what happens. Well...it worked! I have not had a prematurely discharged phone since I made the switch..... 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I surfed all day at a wedding, made numerous phone calls to find lost people and my son used it as a flashlight for about three hours(the software for which you can buy at the down load section) and I still had one bar left (did I mentined that I have the extended battery?) Anyway, I hope this helps. Good Luck!
    By the way, I no longer kill any apps......