Battery drained while charging

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by SkankAssMoFo, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SkankAssMoFo

SkankAssMoFo New Member

Battery drained while charging

I plugged my phone in to charge it last night while I slept. It had 3 bars, but I tend to get a lot of calls on Fridays, so I did it just to be sure.

When I woke up, I hit the home button and there was an alert on the screen that disappeared, but the battery was completely drained. (I don't have any email set to download repeatedly or anything, and I hit "kill all" before I plugged it in.) It shut itself down and when I tried to turn it back on, it was stuck on the Sprint screen for a solid minute. I plugged it back in and it came on fully, but still said the battery was drained and did NOT show that the phone was charging. Then I tapped the plug a little bit further into the socket, and it said it was charging.

So my question is basically how the heck did the entire battery drain out? I know this sounds stupid, but is it possible that because the charger wasn't fully plugged in, it somehow pulled from the battery instead of filling it? I'm just trying to figure this out because this is my second Q (the first one died in three days) and I'm running out of rebate time.....

Thanks!
  2. RFI4U

RFI4U New Member

I have similar problems from time to time with my Q.
    Plug it in at night with half battery left to wake up and its turned itself off
    because the battery was dead even though it was plugged in.

I've plugged it in and had it not go into charging mode even after several
    plugin and unplugs while watching the home screen icon indicator..

I've even had the thing go through a battery in about 4 hours of standby after
    supposedly being charged up over night.

It's not consistent and I can't seen to attribute it to anything in particular....
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but at least ya know you're not alone..

Anyone have any ideas?
  3. neutral

neutral New Member

Make sure it's charging before you go to sleep. Just because you plugged it in, does not mean it's charging. Verify the charging icon displays on the phone.
  4. applejosh

applejosh New Member

I've seen where the "charging" icon appears, stays there all night, and I still wake up with a dead battery. Sometime I find it helpful to turn the phone off while it charges. Seems to work consistently, although I usually only try it after I wake up to a dead or close to dead battery.
  5. sdbfood

sdbfood New Member

I find that this happens to me a well. I have found that the most likely time for the phone not to charge is when the battery is a low level and then I find that the battery is nearly dead by the next morning even if the phone is plugged into the charger all night.

This is tricky because the phone indicates that it is being charged by the battery icon. What I have found that unless you get a sound and a "charging" icon when you plug in the phone and the battery is starting at a low level, this is the most likely set of events that results in a low or dead battery in the morning.

This is my second Q and I had the same problem on the first unit.

This is frustrating experience when you a traveling, don't have another opportunity to charge your phone again, and you are starting the day with a dead battery.
  6. gmardre

gmardre New Member

......ditto......just make sure it is charging before you leave it.
  7. heywire

heywire New Member

ive had it happen on my sprint moto q once as well. ive noticed on my phone that unless i push the charger in really good, it wont charge..very frustrating to wake up for work with a dead battery...
  8. mgray87

mgray87 New Member

Battery Icon with an "x"

Same sort of deal. Woke up with about half a charge but had an "x" where the battery should have shown it was plugged in (manual doesn't say anything about that icon). I pushed charger in as far as it would go, wiggled it around and couldn't get it to show it was charging, although it would beep, but only when *un*plugging it. After reading a couple of posts here, I tried turning it off, and now, it shows it's taking a charge.
    I've had it for about three days now and I like it, but I'm wondering if I can rely on this phone.
    Whaddaya think?
  9. nags

nags New Member

I've had this problem with my phone and just got a replacement because of it. My brand new Q is doing the exact same thing. It always acts as if it's charging and theres no way to tell wether it really is or isn't........ It's quite frustrating.
  10. abrigham

abrigham New Member

This happens to mine every once in a while, too... not so often as to cause me excessive grief, but it is irritating. As most everyone else here has said, I just turn it off or soft reset it (power off and back on) and it will start charging fine. I think it's pretty obvious that the problem is with the OS interfering... perhaps we can find a way for all of us to report this to Motorola or our respective carriers (I'm on Sprint) all at once, so that a fix could possibly be included in the next software update (if there's even going to be one).
  11. Rossford

Rossford New Member

Same thing has happened to me. Interestingly, though, I found that even when the battery indicator showed a low charge (after being plugged in for long enough), if I turned the phone off and then plugged it in even for 30 seconds it seemed to reset the faulty battery indicator. When I turn it back on, the indicator reads a full charge. You might want to try that and see if it works.

In any case, it's definitely still frustrating, and I hope they fix it in the next update.
  12. mista350z

mista350z New Member

I am having the same problem. This is the 3rd time this has happen to my phone so far after about 3 weeks of ownership. My girlfriend and I both got our Qs at the same time and she is having this problem too. When I plug it in to charge at night. The indicator changes to the ac plug but does not seem to go into charge mode. Wake up to a dead battery. I dont know what the heck it is. I guess its the o/s. Anyone know how to resolve this matter?
  13. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

How well does your Q charge when its off?
  14. mista350z

mista350z New Member

The only solution I have found is turning my Q off, plugging in the ac charger and waiting for the battery to appear and let me know it is in charge mode, then turn the phone back on. This seems to be working for a few days now. Kind of a hassle. I called help suppost and they couldnt fix anything.
  15. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

I'm waiting for my Ebayed Q to come in the mail, been reading and learning as much as I can in the meantime. :smile:

So, does there seem to be less (or no) problems if you turn it off when charging?
    I've always turned my phone off at night as I don't want to get calls when I'm sleeping anyways. Is this bad for the Q?
  16. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Of course its not bad for the Q to charge it while off, ive always done that and I'm still on Q number 1.0
  17. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Now...mine does this every night. With phone on, I plug it in, go to sleep. Wake up with phone off and battery fully discharged. Once I get it going, take it to work, plug it in "on" and it charges fully and gives the complete notice.

hhhmmmm...
  18. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Well, I've had my Q for a few days now and all seems well (never know with ebay) I've noticed with it off, a picture of a AA kinda battery shows, and it progressively "fills" as it charges-with it turned on, the wall plug thingy comes on by the signal indicator but dousn't really show it's actively charging.
    I kind of like to see it doing it's thing, but have read about so many people never turning their phone off, I'm sort of scared to turn it off every night in case it won't boot up in the am! :gasp:
    What you all think-off every night and see it charging, or leave 'er on and wonder?
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i leave mine on all night and with the backlight off i just let it go (charge)...hell im asleep i dont need to see a damn thing! :tounge:
  20. bjack56

bjack56 New Member

Plugged in (the phone) last night..left it turned on-the a/c icon came on and all looked well. However, the display didn't black out after so many minutes..stayed on all night on the home screen. When I unplugged it this morning it had the same charge as when I plugged it in. Turned it off and plugged back in and now the battery picture is doing it's filling up thing.
    I wonder if the backlight not going off indicates no charge happening, or if it uses enough power that the charger can only maintain battery level with it on?