Basic Q & A

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jacobjer, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Freeing Memory

I assume you're talking about Device Storage (not Program Memory) if this happened after trying to install a program.

Look into these things:
    • How many contacts, tasks, calendar entries, E-mails and so on have you synced to the Q?
    • Have you done a lot of browsing? If so, you should clear your browser cache.
    • Have you copied a lot of ring tones or Home screens to the device?
    • Have you taken lots of pictures or video on your Q?
    Not built-in. There are some third-party programs that do this, but I'm not sure if any work on the Q.

Steve
  2. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

I'm asking you because your a trusted source...but before I go out and buy a 4gig minisd (which I believe I've read on one of the threads the Q9m will support?) has anyone actually purchased a card that big and tried. According to Verizon the Q9 will only supprot a 2 gig which I already use. I got the feeling the person I was talking about wasn't sure either way just reading from a script. Also, word on the street is they make a dock style charger for this thing. Where do I find it? I've looked all over the place on the web and I'm drawing blanks. I just thought I would see if anyone else can confirm or deny these things...Go pens!
    Jeremy
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

4 GB Support

Verizon seems to selling 4 GB MicroSDHC cards for the Q 9m (look at the Web site). They should work fine.

In fact, I would not buy any non-SDHC cards for the Q 9m any longer -- SDHC is the new standard. The only way that I'd buy non-SDHC cards is if I needed to use them in both the Q 9m and another device without SDHC support.

Steve
  4. izzy35

izzy35 New Member

I have quite a bit of contacts and calendar stuff but thats about it....it says i have 19mb available....that doesn't sound like alot...especially since i have NO extra things added on....BTW, where can i get some nice home screens? also, why don't yearly calendar events (ie. birthdays) show up as appointments in the calendar on my home screen? does anyone else have this issue?
  5. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

check out our homescreen collection in the homescreen forum tons there
    not to mention the member sites
    www.kooldezine.com/Q.htm
    www.ekopapers.com

your birthdays wont show up becuase you dont have a 'all deay event' plugin on your homescreen

you can loose memory by not clearing out your internet explorer history or have programs installed OR even clearing out google maps or microsoft live cache files (should you have those programs installed)
  6. izzy35

izzy35 New Member

how can i get the "all day plugin?" it was standard i guess, on my treo 700w..also, is there a way to put "tasks" on my homescreen? thanks for all of your help...what about copy and pasting? (and not in a word document....like if i want to copy and paste a number that's in a message, or a link that isn't a hyperlink?
  7. izzy35

izzy35 New Member

forgot 1 more thing, are those homescreens, on the sites you provided, good for moto q9m?
  8. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

check out this Microsoft site that lists all the plugins here

and yes they will (i think i answered this already)
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Multiple Questions

You either add it to your layout.xml file or you get a Home screen that uses it.

Yes, there are Tasks plug-ins. Oxios has a free one and I suspect Facade will do that, too.

The Smartphone doesn't have any copy & paste built-in. You can get Vito CopyPaste for free, but it only works in dialog text entry fields (not in E-mail, texts or Web pages).

By the way, are you searching? Most of these questions have been answered before here.

Steve
  10. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Home Screen Links

For a better list of Home screen sites, check out my site's Content section. Both of those sites are there, plus several more.

Steve
  11. Steves1150

Steves1150 New Member

All good points, Steve! As a beginner, I appreciate the time you and other big posters have put into answering questions. I am sure I'll ask some questions that have been asked and answered before as well. And, I agree that reading the FAQs and searching is a good start.

I also believe that adhering to certain rules of behavior is important, for all parties!

Cheers,
    Steve

Now I gotta go and figure out how to do something else on the Q that is mystifying me...:gasp:
  12. smorse

smorse New Member

Yes you can. word and powerpoint too.