Basic Q & A

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by jacobjer, Aug 27, 2007.

1. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

Basic Q & A

Anyone know if I'll be able to directly sync my current outlook folder and contacts info straight to the phone? Or does it use a different verizon of microsift activesync? I currently use 4.2...

I just ordered the wifi card (and the phone) and my intent is block the data plan and get online w/ wifi since I have it available almost everywhere. I'll let you know how it works out.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

you can still use outlook and sync with outlook
    might even want to consider upgrading to active sync 4.5
  3. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

Just a note this is the Q9 GSM thread, you might want to put this in the Q9m thread. But you should have no issue connecting to outlook via active sync and if you use an exchange server you should be able to connect via the WiFi.
  4. thelarster

thelarster New Member

Can you edit Excel docs with the Q 9M?
  5. n99hockey

yes it comes with documents to go which can edit office documents
  6. thelarster

thelarster New Member

One more question for this newbie looking to buy this phone - does it run most google 'apps' like Google Docs?
  7. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I am not sure if Google has a windows mobile smartphone edition of their apps out yet. But you can do edit and create docs with DocsToGo, which will be adding MS Office 2007 xml support later this year. I found this out when I updated to v3.0 and they stated the upgrade would be later this year and included for registered 3.0 users.

My question is did DTG come installed or did you install it from a CD? This is important to me as I don't like taking up storage space to load updates when I could just install the updated copy.

There is of course google maps for WMSP.
  8. jacobjer

jacobjer New Member

I've had a few issues with the Q9-
    #1 I'm not too impressed at this point with any of the features, I only got it for the wifi anyway. I've had issue with tcmp - I use verision 5.2 and it worked great with the black Q, but on the q9 it won't see any of my WMV files. Is there a newer verision that I just don;t know about? Candelight doesn't work with the 9...at least not with mine. I deleted all the vcast apps but even before that I got an error message when trying to open audio or video files from media players library (unknown error 0X800300D). Is it trying to stop me from playing files that I didn't purchase via vcast? I can go around this and sneak those files open another way..but it's annoying. Any ideas?
  9. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

10. rachris2

rachris2 New Member

Well, might as well just wade right in...

After 12+ years of Palm, I've had enough. There are three 700p's sitting on my desk right now. All three are going back. Chris, I hope y'all won't miss me too much on ET.:embarassed:

In return, I get a brand new Q9m early next week.

So my basic Q (see... it's a joke...) is:

Does this thing come with a cradle like I see here?

Cuz if it duz... that would be AWSUM! At my age, I can sit and look at something that pretty for a very looooooong time:tounge:
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Q 9m Cradle

What age is that? (I won't make a guess myself. :laugh2:)

The Q 9m doesn't come with a cradle. Here's what Verizon says you get:
    In fact, I haven't even heard of a Q9 cradle, and the Verizon Q 9m Accessories page doesn't list one.

Has anybody heard of a cradle that works?

Steve
  12. izzy35

izzy35 New Member

Can anyone tell me where i can find a q9 case? not a holster as i already have one of those..thanks.
  13. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

iPAQ Case

If you don't need a case you can use the Q 9m in (with matching cutouts), the one that I discussed in the Without a doubt: Best Case Ever! thread should work. I just put a Q 9m in it today and it fit.

Steve
  14. rachris2

rachris2 New Member

Thanks for the quick response... so here's another one. (Maybe this should be a sticky?)

The reasons I got the Moto:

NOT PALM (I'm big on integrity/customer service. They failed on both)
    Completely different (Keeps me challenged/learning)
    Does what I need (PDA/Phone/Internet)

So a few questions to lessen the learning curve:

1. If there's no touchscreen, how on earth do you do everything?
    2. What's the most important apps to load?
    3. Are there freebies like the Palm?
    4. There's software on the Palm I can't do without, but I'm not sure come with a WM counterpart:
    a. eReader - For reading Bibles mostly
    b. Mobipocket - again, mainly for reading theology stuff.
    c. CFB Timer - very simple countdown timer.
    d. Datebk6 - mainly for the flexible snooze
    e. Bejeweled - what else is there to do when you're just "sitting there" (knowutImean Vern?)
    f. Does copy/paste actually work in the Moto? I use SplashID for passwords. I get a p/w into the clipboard, go to a site and log in. Pasting the p/w never worked on the 700p.
    g. Install/Uninstall 3rd party s/w. Any info/tips?
    h. Daily backups to SD card?
    i. I'm assuming about the only thing I can use from my Treo days is the BT headset?
    j. Oh, I forgot... Let's not forget (which I already did...) security. Any software like Blue Pill? in case of theft/loss?

Thanks for any/all feedback!
  15. n99hockey

all this information can be found out by using the search function of the forum
  16. rachris2

rachris2 New Member

Hmm... what does one say to an answer such as this?

Perhaps nothing is best. :embarassed::foot:
  17. n99hockey

good.....:wink:
  18. Steves1150

Steves1150 New Member

As a newcomer to this technology, I am mystified by much of it myself. I have been frustrated, especially when I visit forums like this and read posts by people who really understand the technology. I think they sometimes forget that beginners need direction, not sarcasm.:2cool:

So, as the mod suggested, do a search. Also, check out the Q thread and FAQs. You will find some valuable information here as well.

Good luck on your search. I hope to pick up my Q(haven't decided yet between the Q and Q9m yet) and I'll probably be here posting LOTs of questions myself!

Good luck on finding your answers.

Steve in So Cal
  19. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Read the Forums

No, I don't think we forget there are beginners. However, we do expect people to try to help themselves first.

For example, asking "With no touchscreen, how do you do everything?" seems like it has an obvious answer -- with buttons and menus. How else?

Worse, the "What programs should I install first?" is a very common question. If this were a new forum, I could see somebody asking this, but do people really think they're the first to ask this now? How hard would it be to look in the Software forum and see what the sticky threads were? If somebody does this, they'll see the Time for another round of Favorite Apps Thread! thread right there. :wink:

Normally, I'd answer those questions, usually by linking to an appropriate thread like I did above. However, when somebody posts ten questions (in just that one post) and makes it appear that he hasn't even tried to look around, I understand why people get testy. If he'd asked two or three questions, I'd probably have helped, but more is pushing my limit.

While I won't make the claim that all of the questions could be answered by searching (for example, I haven't seen anything about BluePill, and a simple search showed it hasn't been discussed before), several of them could have been.

We're happy to help newcomers, but newcomers should also respect the time of those of us who have been here helping people. (If you're new to forums, and not just the Q, check out my posting guidelines for suggestions on being a good forum citizen.)

Steve
  20. izzy35

izzy35 New Member

HELP!!! i love the q9m, however, i just attempted to put on 1 software package and I'm already getting a "MEMORY CRITICALLY LOW" message....any way around this? i only have factory installed apps and calendar, phonebook on it..is there a way to fix this or at least see what exactly is taking up all the room? also, is there a way to "thread texting"? THANKS FOR ANY HELP..