automatic time zones

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MYoung, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Outlook, Time Zones and Automatic Setting

Of course Outlook should care what time zone a meeting is in. That's how you can plan for meetings in multiple time zones and not have conflicts. For example, imagine that you're travelling from New York to California on business and have a meeting from 1-3 Pacific Time. Before you leave, the boss says he'll call you at 5 PM (Eastern Time) with a crucial customer update. If you just enter the meeting from 1:00-3:00 and the call from 5:00-5:15 without considering time zones, things will look great.

Of course, when you get to California, you'll be in the meeting when the boss calls, which will look very bad. If you'd entered the times relative to the correct time zones, you would have noticed the conflict and told the boss to call after 6 PM (Eastern Time).

To enter meetings in other time zones, you're supposed to switch to that time zone, enter the meeting, then switch back to your home time zone (or you can do the time zone conversions in your head if you're good at that). Yes, that's a pain, and I've forgotten to do it myself on occasion :embarassed:. I've suggested ways to improve the process several times (allowing entering the time zone of the meeting when creating it and allowing viewing the Calendar relative to a specific time zone without having to go change it in the settings), but Microsoft hasn't seemed interested in doing that and probably never will. So you really should get used to doing it the "right" way.

That's also why meetings seem to "change" when you change time zones. Appointments in Outlook are stored relative to GMT internally, and changing the time zone is just causing them to display at the time relative to your current time zone; nothing is really "changed".

Outlook on the PC works the same way.

Even if there was, it wouldn't always be correct. Suppose you're in the Eastern Time Zone but your closet tower is in the Central Time Zone. Would you really want your clock getting screwed up? It's OK for dumb phones to try it, because they usually aren't used for scheduling, but Windows Mobile phones are meant to maintain a Calendar properly.

Steve
  2. RUGBYNUTT

RUGBYNUTT New Member

where in the phone is the date/time change option?
  3. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Start>Settings
  4. ashoush

ashoush New Member

this not so much a function of the phone but of the operating system. The system gets it time from the activesync and not the cell tower. It is this way with the blackberrys as well as the microsoft based phones. I agree that I would like the phone to automatically change the time zones.

I agree with the previous post that the time zone issue is important as many of my clients plane meeting using outlook and they are in different time zones and this is the only way for all of us to be in sync. It also works great for my flight appointments that automatically are put into my outlook by the airlines and they are specific to the time zones so that I know when I need to be at the airport.
  5. RUGBYNUTT

RUGBYNUTT New Member

ungh... i must think before i type, i answered that question 2 seconds after i posted..thanks anyway.
  6. Amy

Amy New Member

This scenario is rather ridiculous... your smartphone can't be your brain. Obviously you need to realize that if your boss is gonna call you @ 5, it'll be be 2:00 where you are.

I agree with jcsnappy. The clock on the home screen should pick up the local time from the cell phone towers, just like every cheap cell phone does. It shouldn't be tied to the calendar at all.
  7. RUGBYNUTT

RUGBYNUTT New Member

YEA! what AMY said! I'm trying to show this thing off to people and i have to tell them despite all the new technology, my mothers cell phone in Iowa auto-updates timeszones but my Q wont.
  8. Benso87

Benso87 New Member

Couldn't you just not mention that, and show them the good stuff instead?
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Ridiculous?

Ridiculous? Hardly. It's one of the things international travelers should rely on. You shouldn't have to do the time zone calculation in your head, and using the Calendar properly prevents you from having to.

Steve
  10. FourTwenSesh

Unless they decide to mess around with implementing DST on a different day again.....:2cool:
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Time Zone Updates

Are you sure? Does your mother's cell phone show time zones at all? It may change the time displayed when you go to a different time zone, but most "dumb phones" don't deal with time zones at all.

Consider one of the problems with auto-setting the clock. What would happen if you live just west of a time zone boundary, but the closet cell phone tower is just east of the boundary (and therefore likely an hour later than your actual time)? Now consider what would happen if your office is east of the boundary. Your phone wouldn't change at all when you went from one time zone to the other.

Also, as this is a CDMA phone, what would happen if you went to Europe, where they use GSM almost exclusively? You'd still have to change times manually.

Yes, it would be nice if the system could handle this all for you, but it doesn't. That's how it works, and no amount of complaining will change it. The best thing to do is learn how the system works and use it the "right" way.

Steve
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Dumb Phones vs. Smartphones

Yeah, but that hopefully won't happen for a while. Even if it does, it affects a lot more than just your phone; it can affect your PC, your cable box, your DVR and more. For example, I had to do a special update to get my Replay TVs configured for the DST changes.

Once the update is done, though, you shouldn't have to worry about things. Of course, that didn't seem to work well with Outlook -- even after updating my PC at work, we still had to regenerate meetings for the period between the new and old DST changes. Huh?

Steve
  13. FourTwenSesh

Exactly. Our DST patching took almost a month! Also, i found a swap time zones function in Outlook, so that you can actually display and swap 2 timezones for your calendar. This is the function you are talking about I think. Its in options>Calendar options>time zone...
  14. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Time Zone Switching

That's useful if you're creating an appointment on your PC, but the suggestions I made were to improve Windows Mobile to make the Calendar easier to use.

To use it the "right" way today, you have to navigate away from the Calendar to the Clock settings applet, change the time zone, then go back to the Calendar to enter an appointment in the correct time zone. That's just stupid!

When creating an appointment on your device, Microsoft could add Time Zone drop-down lists for appointment start and end times (you want both to handle things like flights that cross time zones). When viewing the Calendar, Microsoft could add an option to select the time zone you want to view the Calendar in.

Those two changes would make using the Calendar correctly much easier and emphasize the importance of setting the time zone correctly.

Unfortunately, they aren't even listening to their MVPs about this. I remember a debate about how time zones should be handled back in 2003 and nothing has changed.

Steve
  15. FourTwenSesh

Which ultimately leads to the conclusion that time is man made and therefore flawed by design?!
  16. I'm not sure how many have let motorola, how unhappy they are with this, but I was sure to let them know of the critical flaw in the auto timezone change.

Fact is, if you are in New York, and you are going to have a meeting in L.A. in three days... Set the appointment in your calender for say 3 pm... When you get on the bird in New York, you are in the Eastern Standard Zone, when you get off the plane, you are in Pacific Time.. Meeting at 3.... well 3 is 3 is 3 is 3. The fact that the time doesn't change in the calender is simple. And if if does, well that would be yet another critical flaw this POS needs addressd.