automatic time zones

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by MYoung, Jul 25, 2006.

1. MYoung

MYoung New Member

automatic time zones

Hello, I have had the Q for 6 days and fly all over the 48. I noticed under the settings folder, the clock and alarm. When I go to date and time it allows me to pick my time zone, for which I live. But, when I went to a different state the clock did not update itself. Is there something else that needs to be activated to allow the clock to sync to the proper time zone...please help, thx MYoung.:)
  2. Dubbal R

Dubbal R New Member

My theory (I am not a scientist) is that the phone does not "know" that it is in a different time zone. To "let your phone know" that it is in a different zone, it needs to be triggered somehow. Try making a call so that when it hits the nearest tower the phone's clock will sync with the network. If that does not work, try turning the phone off, then on again.

Hope this helps.
  3. MYoung

MYoung New Member

Thanks Dubbal R
    I did have the phone off while in the plane, but I will try the first suggestion and make a phone call. Thx again, MYoung.
  4. hnsimpson

hnsimpson New Member

I think that the Q does not automatically update time zones.

-Simpson
  5. irebuka

irebuka New Member

You are absolutely right. I have done all the turning off and on again; made the calls in zone without success. I am surprise that the boys at Moto did not think of this as a necessary component.
    I heard that upgrading the OS may solve the problem. Has anyone tried it?
    Somebody, please!!
  6. GWK

GWK New Member

only way I found was to manually change zones. As fa as I know I have all upgrades. It really sucks as all phones I used in th past seemed to pick up the change as soon as turned on. We can hope for a fix.
  7. apperrault

apperrault New Member

The reason that the Q doesnt change timezones on it's own is because it has a built in version of outlook, and when you change the timezone, it will change all of the times of your appts to reflect the new timezone, which can cause havoc sometimes. The Q is the third windows based smartphone/pda that i have owned, and none of them automatically changed the timezones. The funny thing, i think my olc Crackberry did.

Oh well, that is why they make things like City Alarm Pro and similar programs for the Q.

app
  8. elton

elton New Member

Time zones not changing automaticly

This is something I find very frustrating. I called the seller and the service provider and they do not have the answers. Finally after alot of calls I talked to the Motorola help desk. I got a good service guy and he told me it is not designed to change time zones. He did not know if there is a fix planned and does not think that one is in the works. You need to go to the date time and change it manually as you land or change time zones. This should be somthing they look into qas it would have been a deal breaker for me when I purchased.
  9. larsdennert

larsdennert Active Member

Yea no smartphone is smart enough to tell time or what time zone it's in. If you turn them on and there's no cell service the phone won't know what time it is. You have to get the cheapest junk verizon phone to get the functionality known as an accurate clock.
  10. jcsnappy

jcsnappy New Member

Smart-Phone??

Outlook shouldn't care where my appt. is. If I set an appt for 9:00am on Tuesday with a California client, it should tell me that I have an appt at 9. It really shouldn't care what time zone I'm in.

The cell tower sends the time signal and if I was in New York today and California tomorrow, it should tell me I have an appt when my clock says 9, no matter where I'm at. (hopefully I'll be in Calif or I'll be late).

Is there NO way to make the Q pick up the current time zone from the tower without manually telling the Q, " hey Dorothy, your not in Kansas anymore??
  11. apperrault

apperrault New Member

I just saw this on another forum. I havent tried it yet, but it says it will work on WM5

In the branch HKLM\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting Change the value of the Key "ShowTimeZonesPage" to value of 1 (dword). Close your registry editor (no reset required) and tap START-SETTINGS-PHONE, there should be a new tab where you can automatically set the phone to get time and timezone information from the network. Really useful for me as I do extensive travelling. Tested on WM5

I hope this helps some people.

app
  12. mad3963

mad3963 New Member

See my post here: http://www.everythingq.com/forum/software/automatic-clock-function-time-zone-changes-2272.html
  13. mikemcq

mikemcq New Member

Not sure what carrier you have. i know for Verizon, if you dial *228, and choose option 2 to update your roaming capability (when your in the new state) that should do the trick. What this does is it Syncs your phone with towers in the area, the tower should update your phone with the local info, i.e that towers PRL, time and date, etc. If you dont have VZW, call your carrier and ask them what to dial for this feature. Hope this helps

MikeMcQ---
  14. motoreagin

motoreagin Member

any more suggestions?

I have Verizon, and *228-2 did not reset my clock. I'm sure my Q now knows where all the local cell towers are, but it still thinks it's back home. Apparently when you update the Q's roaming capabilities, it does not assume it has been relocated by its (wireless) owner but instead thinks the local cell towers have picked up and rearranged themselves, and so it just needs to reorient itself real quick. Maybe the towers are simply enjoying a friendly game of chess with themselves. I think I will rename my phone Alice, since it thinks it lives in Wonderland. Humongous chess pieces that move themselves, oh my! Or maybe Dorothy...
    The registry hack didn't work for me either. No OEM key under HKLM/Software. And I was so hopeful; I travel all the time...
    Am willing to try more suggestions, anybody got one?
  15. PNut

PNut New Member

I apologize for resuscitating an old thread, but this particular problem is driving me nuts.

I travel a lot, and having my phone's clock inaccurate is a complete pain. Every phone I have every had, until the Q, even the Treo I switched from, and previous Motorola's (synced with Outlook through their portal) changed time zones no problem. If you go in and change the time zone, it messes up all of your calendar items (and your computer if you sync it).

The Q is the only phone I know of that doesn't automatically update.

Anyone have any ideas?
  16. garment69

garment69 New Member

I had the Treo 700w and it updated automatically. There was an option in the clock menu for it. Then I had the xv6700 and it had the same option but didnt work. The Q doesnt even offer the option. Disappointing.
  17. rdstoll

rdstoll New Member

I'm right with you guys on this one. I don't understand why this is an issue. The Treo 700w never had a problem with changes in the network time affecting Outlook appointments. The only time there was an issue was during Daylight Savings Time last year, but that had since been resolved.

I've scoured the earth for some hack to allow automatic network time adjustment and haven't found anything that applies to the type of WM OS running on the Q.
  18. PNut

PNut New Member

MAJOR disappointment. I have been hoping since I got my Q this past summer that this would be fixed. I have had only a small list of gripes, and most of them have been solved yet this one persists...

Almost makes me want my StarTAC back, at least it adjusted the time automatically...
  19. ppcmd

ppcmd New Member

I was in Las Vegas all week and my Moto Q did not change time zones it stayed in East Coast time. I will have to check out the thread. I found this frustating as well since I kept using it to check the time the first day, then moved back to my watch after that.
  20. dagnarl

dagnarl New Member

spoke to motorola

I called motorola about this a while back and they said there is no possible way for it to do it and that they are not going to be adding the feature. I believe that it might have something to do with out look. Major bummer for me but at least I have a treo in the other pocket that does the trick