Automatic clock function for time zone changes

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by elton, Nov 17, 2006.

1. elton

elton New Member

Automatic clock function for time zone changes

I am frustrated with the clock on the Q. I travel allot and when I change time zones the Q does not change as the regular cell phones do. I have talked to Motorola and they say it does not get clock information as a cell phone does. You have to change it manualy. Now the problem is when you do change it this changes all your meeting times in your calender. What a screw up.

My question is . Is there a program that I can install that would update my clock automaticly when i change time zones and not change the time of my appointments in outlook? I think allot of others are having the same issue.
  2. apperrault

apperrault New Member

I just got this on another forum. I haven't tried it yet, but someone there says that they use it on WM5 and it works great.

In the branch HKLM\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting Change the value of the Key "ShowTimeZonesPage" to value of 1 (dword). Close your registry editor (no reset required) and tap START-SETTINGS-PHONE, there should be a new tab where you can automatically set the phone to get time and timezone information from the network. Really useful for me as I do extensive travelling. Tested on WM5

Can anyone let me know if this works for them.

app
  3. troutseth

troutseth Guest

wow that would be great - anyone travel and see if it works? What does it do to your calendar items?
  4. mad3963

mad3963 New Member

Tried this. First off, the key did not exist, no OEM under HKLM\Software. Added entire change as shown above. Nothing, zero effect, even after soft reset. Apparently does not work on Q.
  5. jcsnappy

jcsnappy New Member

Let's not stop there!!

There must be a way to change the register and turn off the time zones so that the system clock can get the current zone time from the towers.

I know the Q picks up the tower signal because if you go into settings>Clock & Alarm>date and time> and set the clock back an hour, the next time you do anything with the Q ( make a call, receive a call, go into settings etc.) the time resets itself back to the proper time. Wouldn't do that if it didn't receive a signal when refreshing.

What if all the time zone settings were deleted - there must be something, I travel every day into another time zone and I can never remember to change settings (until I'm late for an appointment).

Anyone got any ideas??????
  6. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Time Zones

No, there doesn't have to be. Registry hacks are things programmers leave in to test things wihtout developing the user interface for them or system settings users aren't supposed to change. If there's a registry hack, it's something that was specifically planned for.

Are you sure the time is reset in the Date and Time settings applet? I think the Carrier plug-in on the Home screen shows tower time, not the time from the settings applet, so you might be comparing two different things.

Stop forgetting to change the time zones? :laugh2: Seriously, that's how Windows Mobile works. See my post in the other thread (mentioned below), which will also explain why Elton's comment about "changing meeting times" is incorrect.

Steve

P.S. Do we really need two threads discussing this? I suggest consolidating the discussion in the earlier thread instead of having to say the same thing in two different places.
  7. widdlewade

widdlewade New Member

The reason there are two threads discussing this is that there were no resolutions in either thread. If the moderator chooses to merge the two threads, that's his choice. Most of us don't have the time or inclination to be on every q forum, as you obviously do.
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Uh Huh

By that "logic", there should be dozens of threads because there's still no resolution. (Well, there may be a resolution -- the Q can't do it.)

I'm active in two Q forums. I'm sure there are some that I haven't found. :laugh2: But it's interesting how you make active participation in a forum sound like a bad thing. :gasp:

Steve
  9. widdlewade

widdlewade New Member

No, I don't make active participation sound like a bad thing. It's people like you, who put down the people who can't go through every thread in these forums, that make these forums a less enjoyable experience.

As an "active" forum participant, surely you notice that many similar threads are started all the time, and if the moderators think its an important topic, he/she will merge them into one thread.

BTW, there is a hack on the non-smartphone (PPC) version of WM5 to get the time synched off of the cell towers. But surely, someone as well versed in WM5, knows that already...
  10. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Please, let's get back on topic. I have yet to set up moderators on the Q forums. While I'm active on the forums, I don't view every thread, so it's difficult to police and do the merging. I do have plans for adding mods.

Let's be civil. That's the one thing I do enforce on EQ,ET and EI.

Thanks.
    Chris
  11. QRichardQ

QRichardQ New Member

Would this work?

Wouldn't dialing *228 to do a Verizon "software update," update the clock to local time?

I discovered the hard way what changing time zones does to the calendar. My flights were listed there... I brought this to the attention of some folks at Motorola, who cannot understand what the problem is. I suggested they take a trip and use their Q to carry all their information. They'll understand it then.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I just needed to vent my frustration by reviving this thread! So I though that the non-update of system time was just one of those Smartphone issues that you have to live with due to the interplay between the phone and outlook. THEN I saw my buddies Blackjack and his phone time updates when he travels AND it correctly converts his Outlook entries to the timezone the phone is in. So, since they are the same OS . . . what is going on Verizon?
  13. QRichardQ

QRichardQ New Member

I'm sorry. I'm not quite understanding. You're saying first, that the Blackjack, running WM5, does update the phone's clock from the carrier's signal? But what do you mean by "correctly converts his outlook entries to the timezone the phone is in"? How can converitng the times, by definition, be correct?

If I am sitting in my office in timezone A programming the schedule for a trip to timezone B, and I expect to have a meeting at 2:00 pm when I get there, I do not want to have to sit there and figure, "OK the meeting will be at 2:00 pm their time. I'm 2 hours earlier, so I need to plug the meeting into my Q at noon, so when the phone changes times, it will convert the meeting to the correct time."

I want to program my phone for a 2:00 meeting for that day. Then I want nothing messing with my calendar. The clock is something else. It needs to the correct time for the place I'm at. Then I'll actually show up at the meeting on time.

How does that dovetail with what you're explaining?

Thanks.
  14. PNut

PNut New Member

I talked to Verizon about the other day (while waiting for them to answer another question -- irritating incorrect email message indicator).

Their solution was to dial *228 because the Q does receive time from towers, but it doesn't update automatically.

I will let you know tomorrow -- I will be changing time zones in the morning...

My 0.02 -- I have never had to "reprogram" any other phone, just updated automatically...
  15. troutseth

troutseth Guest

Here is how Outlook works . . .when you enter a meeting you enter it for whatever time you want and it attaches the system timezone. When you receive a meeting request, it will convert the request to your system timezone. So anything on your computer in Outlook shows in your computer's timezone. For example, he had a meeting on his computer for 4 pm Eastern. he travelled to the central timezone today. His phone updated automatically to central timezone and that meeting now shows as 3 pm Central. He does not have to look at his phone and see a 4 PM meeting and do the math himself, the phone did it for him.

You can test that Outlook on your computer does the same thing by switching the timezone and watching your calendar entries shift by an hour. The Q's outlook would do the same thing IF the phone actual updated time.

Per your example you can enter and receive all mtg notices in your home timezone and not have to do the math either before OR after. In your example you are still doing the math at some point.

Again I stress that pocket outlook works the same as your computer in this regard (just that most people do not change their computer timezones). It is the lack of a clock update that is limiting.
  16. QRichardQ

QRichardQ New Member

But I'm not converting times...ever

I don't want to clog the forum with my stupidity, but the key seems to be a difference in how you and I deal our schedules.

You say, "Per your example you can enter and receive all mtg notices in your home timezone and not have to do the math either before OR after." I receive no "meeting notices." I set my schedule by various means, some written, some verbal, and enter it into my calendar.

Forget electronics for a moment. If my secretary set up an itinerary for me in a city that's in another timezone, and she typed it all out for me to carry with me, all of the times reflected there would be expressed in the local time, of course, so I would appear in the right places at the right times, including at the airport to catch my plane home.

When she sets up the 2:00 pm meeting, for example, neither she nor the other party will give a moment's thought to what time it will happen to be back at my office when that 2:00 pm meeting happens, since I will then be there.

I expect my electronic calendar to do the same thing: type it in exactly that way, and give it back to me the same way. No time translations are required at any point in the process.

So I concluded, forget the bloody timezone setting on the Q. When my plane lands in the other timezone, I'll leave that alone and just reset the clock by the required number of hours (or perhaps dial *228 as we will shortly find out from PNut). Hopefully that will put me onto the correct time without screwing up my schedule. To test that, right here at my desk, I just lied to my Q and reset the clock by one hour. Nothing happened. My schedule was not influenced at all, but neither was the clock! The time didn't even change. Either I did something wrong, or perhaps the internal clock setting is only read on boot up.

I dunno. I find it frustrating.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Regards.
  17. troutseth

troutseth Guest

It really isn't worth a long discussion because phones that handle it correctly allow for either method. My Treo, for example allows for auto update of the clock or setting a firm timezone (I believe the BJ has both as well). You can keep in in your time zone and I can have it auto update.

I do receive meeting notices that I accept from other Outlook users. In fact we are a virtual company of over 300 all on Exchange so that is my most common method besides self entry. If Outlook did not adjust it for me, I run the risk of accepting and not remebering to go adjust the time; or best case example I have to adjust every notice I receive. Luckily, Outlook adjusts it for me. I just wish the Q would handle getting the time from the sever like every other phone, including others on WM5. Then we can have different settings and both could be happy!

Have a good one!
  18. azieba

azieba New Member

Just a thought

Maybe you can get your buddy to export his registry on the Blackjack so that we could take a look and maybe find a hack.
  19. troutseth

troutseth Guest

hehehe already on it . . . . i am trying to get him to understand what a reg editor is . . .
  20. Utah Q User

Utah Q User New Member

dialing *228 does NOT update the time. Just traveled from MST to PST last week and tried this and it does not work. W/ the Q you have to go into time and date settings and change the time manually.