Auto-kill applications when switching?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9m' started by Valkyr47, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Valkyr47

Valkyr47 New Member

Auto-kill applications when switching?

I am in my 30 day trial of the motorola Q9m right now, and so far i like it except one glaring thing that is really starting to annoy me with Windows mobile 6 (i have never used a smartphone before so maybe its been in all versions of windows mobile, either way)

Whenever i run even a simple configuration utility like "home screen management" no matter how i close out of it, it actually stays running. This happens to everything from calendar, to settings menus, to email, etc etc

so when i go to task manager every single app is still in the task manager as using part the the system memory to run, and i have to actually kill the programs that way?

Thats like if windows XP forced you to hit alt-ctrl-del and kill programs every single time. Its absurd and im hoping this is just an oversight or configuration error on my part. If not i cant stand that and will look to switching over to a palm os device, unless of course palm os does the same thing... in which case both are dumb
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

there is no real proven benefit to killing tasks.. WM handles programs that way, the only time i sometimes kill an app is if it potentially could use data..

there are people/Q users who are obsessed with killing tasks, but never have i seen proof of it making a big difference on battery life.

there are 3rd party task managers but i am not sure if they work on the Q9, plus basically they do the same as the default task manager.
  3. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

Windows mobile is designed to automatically close programs as needed when memory gets low. A task manager is useful for the OCD users or to switch between running programs, but isn't really necessary.

I have found the SKTools "FreeUP RAM" useful to release memory that didn't get completely released when programs were automatically closed.

I use the default task manager to switch between running programs (I have it programmed to the voice recognition key).
  4. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

How did you get SK's FreeUp Ram thing to work more than one time? I've only heard of it being a one time shot, after that it locks up le Q!
  5. It never locks up my q9m....ever.
    I kill apps every so often but it becomes second nature.
  6. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

Oh..I err..guess I did manage to land in a Q9 arena!! Sorry, heading back to standard Qville!

7. No problem...See RB, this is why we need our models listed under or name or something....so people know which device(s) they have.
  8. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

partly agreed... in all honestly the area name kinda gives it away, but yes not always the case since i replied and i don't have a Q9 myself.

Chris !!!! :}

see what he says..
  9. reklisammy

reklisammy New Member

where did you go to make the voice key a shortcut for something else? also..can you do this with any other keys?
  10. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

(next time, start new thread or search), check out this thread..
  11. jasoraso

jasoraso Member

12. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member