Audio hiss on Samsung Focus

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by pancake04, Nov 11, 2010.

1. pancake04

pancake04 New Member

Just wondering if anyone else is having a strong hiss and distortion when playing any audio or video file. The hiss very pronounced when playing podcasts that have frequent silent parts. Maybe I got a phone with a bad audio output. I wanted this phone to replace my ipod touch which has no hiss at all. Let me know guys. Thanks.
  2. verynicehat

verynicehat New Member

Hey, I'm having a similar problem. The hiss starts any time any audio is activated, and stops as soon as the audio is over. I notice it even when typing. Were you able to resolve this?
  3. muddtt

muddtt Member

yup same thing. doesn't bother me to much unless i'm thinking about it.
  4. alejovh1

alejovh1 New Member

I have also noticed at teh end of songs, sometimes it sounds like a broken record, it just skips. not all the time but enough to be anoying
  5. EricB

EricB New Member

I have noticed an audible hiss as well, mainly when playing music through the aux port in my truck. Unfortunately it won't play when plugged into Microsoft Sync USB port (my iPhone did :/ ).
  6. Peter Park

Peter Park New Member

I noticed it as well. It's actually bugging the hell outta me. I wonder if other Samsung devices are acting the same? But I'm already on my 2nd Focus, which also has this audio problem. I'm considering switching to HTC Surround...
  7. Peter Park

Peter Park New Member

Okay, this morning, I brought my phone, all the accessories, and the packaging, and returned it at AT&T store. Before I've done that tho, I tried out other WP7 phones with my headphone in it, to see if they got the same problem.

And they ALL DO.

They just have different timing, but they all have the speaker hiss whenever any sound is played.

For HTC Surround, with headphone on, you CANNOT hear the first keyboard stroke. It seems the speaker doesn't turn on quick enough to play it. And on this device, speaker takes longer to cut off than Focus--you'll keep hearing the hiss for about 2 full seconds before you hear it cut off abruptly.

I don't remember how LG Quantum acted, but it definitely had the same problem, too.

I did a quick search on Google, and found out HD7 users report the same problem. Some consider this the problem with audio clips. And it definitely is not, since the hissing is there while ANY sound is coming out of the phone. Somehow, I think it's how OS designed.

So, basically, if you're sensitive to sound quality, or you consider yourself an audiophile, the current stock of WP7 devices are NOT for you. And being sensitive to it myself, I'm definitely disappointed. I've had every expectation to be blown away with WP7...

I'm very sad. :( I've decided to wait for next group of WP7 devices...
  8. verynicehat

verynicehat New Member

Thanks for doing that research. I was gearing up to bring back my Focus to the store after work today. It does bug me, but not enough to take it back (well, I'm also developing a WP7 game, so I need it, heh). It's weird that ALL phones have a variation of this issue. They can't all be using the same hardware for audio, can they? It SOUNDS like a hardware issue to me...but maybe since it is across all phones, it is something that can be fixed in a software update. I hope so.

I've noticed that the hiss doesn't get louder if you turn up the volume on your phone - so if you're listening in your car that also has a volume control, I'd recommend turning the phone all the way up and then adjusting your stereo volume accordingly.
  9. Rich Varenas

Rich Varenas Member

Is this the same problem reported in various reviews but when making phone calls? I have read some reviews that mention hiss and other reviews which stated the call quality was excellent. While I don't own a Focus yet, I have used a few at different stores in my area and I thought the call quality was excellent. My caller said the same thing.

-Rich

10. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well I've never noticed it when I had my Focus and I hope I never do with my Surround. I hate it when people point out subtle things like this, because then you usually start noticing it! :p