ATTN MS: Why I'm headed back to my Android....

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by FuzzyReets, Dec 12, 2010.

1. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Member

lack of landscape support for many things - This is where I spend most of my time on my smartphone. That's where I can type easier and view things larger as well. This seems like something that is quite obvious with current phones. You must have landscape support for everything. I go landscape with IE on the phone and you're stuck. SERIOUSLY? No address bar? So I have to play flip flop with the phone when I want to go to a different site. LAME.

lack of many core apps i use - amazon, angry birds, dropbox, fun stuff...This is very minor to me and I can get by and I'm sure it's not MS' fault. Just a minor complain. If SKYDRIVE worked I wouldn't need dropbox. WAKE UP MS.

lack of customization - I didn't expect an open book here, but I didn't expect it to have the Apple-like chains wrapped around the device. I can't customize ringtones but I can in WinMo 5 or 6? I have a bad feeling about WP7 being a "locked" device so MS can make more $$$$$$$ like Apple. i hear this may change but I am skeptical.

lack of connectivity to skydrive - Really???? I can't connect to skydrive??? Skydrive with its 25gb is AWESOME but if I can't use it from ANYTHING (especially a full MS product), what's the point really?

keyboard is a bit crappy - keys are small and not really completely responsive for fast typers such as myself. I find myself going back to fix things constantly. iPhone has this same problem in my opinion. I know there is just so much landscape but USE IT. There is tons of space in the landscape keyboard that you decided wasn't vital probably because you didn't want to take the time to tweak the keyboard code so it would expland.

searching for apps in the store is awful as it is clumped in with music and video searching - I don't think I have to say much more about this. I've seen many people complain about this.

slow email sync: my iphone and my android both instanly make the changes that I make on my phone to the could and vice versa. I find that minutes go by before things change. Sometimes up to ten. I have tried this both with a hotmail account and my google account and the experience is the same. It's not a true sync. Maybe with the wording in the phone its not trying to say that it does that but any modern smartphone should have instant sync with your email. If i delete something on my phone, I should see that change in my cloud box. If I read something, it should be marked as read within a few seconds. The other kids (droid, iphone) can do this...why can't MS?

Lack of messaging apps - I need this period. Google talk. Staple for me. Don't know about other people.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good start but it needs a lot of work and it feels like something that was released pre maturely which I cant' believe you can say at this point considering how long it's been since MS really did anything significant with their mobile phone OS but, it isn't ready yet. Stop worrying about all the Facebook integration BS and work on the core phone OS. Not everyone thinks Facebook is the center of the universe.
  2. Pancake mix

Pancake mix New Member

ya it does need a lot of work, but the platform is only 1 month old and you're asking for features that OS's got years after they were made.
  3. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Member

Yeah I definitely understand that and I'm not expecting the world but some of the things seem very obvious. Landscape thing really kills the phone for me. I love the direction it's going in (if it gets there) but it's missing alot.
  4. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Did you ever use the first iteration of iPhone or Android?
    This is version 1.0. Its not going to do everything yet.
    I personally have many reasons I dislike Android and how its built, but there's plenty to read on what it was all about when it was a virgin. When Apple, a company whom I grew up with and loved announced they were making a phone, I went to asinine lengths to get one. The first iPhone, compared to the last couple, was slow, a bit buggy and didn't do alot of things. If you're so impatient or demanding that your life just cant go on without very minor setbacks, come back in a couple years. I would ask though, what enticed you, if you were so content with Android, to get a WinPho7 in the first place? If you think in that for a minute, and find out what you really like, if anything, then you know those things will only get even better. The other stuff will come.

This is coming from someone who's been in the Apple ecosystem a long time, and actually dove into WP7 from an iPhone4, not because the present iPhone isn't near perfection for my needs, but because I think WP7 is both an awesome all around user experience and from what we've seen, has serious potential. Pancake has pointed out; iPhone nor Droid got there over night. You might just miss out on a neat ride.
  5. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Member

I'm not getting rid of the phone, just considering hold off for a bit using it until it matures a little. I mean there are definitely things I like about hte phone. It's a new concept which is great. As the hpone goes and the OS, I like it better than Android and the iPhone, it's just missing a lot. I was in the mood to complain earlier today I think :) The lack of landscape functionality really bums me out though.
  6. BitPusher2600

BitPusher2600 Member

Yeah. If I had to complain about one lacking feature, that one would be it. I've sorta gotten used to hitting the search button while in landscape and just typing the name of a site into a search and hitting it that way. Its a halfway usable work around. MS was likely too excited to get this out and wanted to stick a foot in the door, then add and fix things. If the big update in January doesn't address this, I'll be quite surprised.
  7. FuzzyReets

FuzzyReets Member

Yeah I don't get it. Were all the people sitting around using the phone going, "Yeah, this is fine. It's okay that you can't do anything in IE once you go landscape. Shouldn't be a problem." Makes me think that MS doesn't really give a sh*t to be honest with you.