ATT Q9h GPS Crippled?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by stevemahon, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

As far as I can tell, It was always active anyhow. The registry hack allows you to assign a com port to it. Not too sure though since I am not really familiar with the internal workings of the Q.
  2. Hovsep

Hovsep New Member

OK im lost

just got my Q9 on fiday and i installed WLS but it wont connect to gps
    I read the thread went out side and still nothing. my question is is everyones WLS working and what settings do you have it at?
  3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

Actually I have to disagree, the GPS must be always on now as I do not have to wait for it to acquire when I start up WLS or GMM, which is really nice. I'll do a little experimenting to see, but this may be something for all of those people who have been having a hard time getting the GPS to work with WLS or GMM to try. I will also see how it affects battery life, that may be the only negative aspect.
  4. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

Can everyone please post back here on how it's affected battery life please.

Thanks!
    MaRiA
  5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

It is hard for me to tell, I am a pretty heavy user and have to charge my phone at least once a day. It did seem to go a bit faster, but hard to give an exact number to it. I will keep playing with it and report back. Does anyone know how to disable the GPS with this cab installed, or would I have to uninstall and undo the registry edits?
  6. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

The way I found to turn off the GPS driver was in this key

- <characteristic type="HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver">
    <parm name="IsEnabled" value="1" datatype="integer" />

With "0" meaning disabled.

The only problem with this is you have to make the registry edit and then reboot the phone to put it into effect. Hopefully someone will come up with a menu hack that can turn the GPS driver on and off.
  7. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

Thanks Firemedic

I hate to see threads with 8 million thanks at the end, but I really have to thank you for this one. I have been toying with this thing for days trying to figure this out, and your post got mine up and running in 2 minutes!

Thanks again for the post! :laugh2:
  8. rsg123

rsg123 New Member

tomtom?

I am interested in buying this phone. Did anyone get it to work with Tomtom 6?
  9. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

I haven't tried yet but...It may be difficult since Tom Tom is designed for a touch screen. Bet it would work great on the Tilt but that phone is way to big for me.
  10. rsg123

rsg123 New Member

oh...I wasn't even aware it wasn't a touchscreen. That makes it less attractive. Thanks
  11. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

That would be great. I have found that with this installed, if I am inside a building such that I can not get a GPS signal, the phone will not be able to reaquire a lock once I go outside without having to restart the phone. I can see that it will receive a signal from one or two satellites but it is never able to complete the lock. Now maybe I just did not wait long enough, but if I restart the phone it locks pretty quickly.

Regarding your reg edit, if you set your registry edit to "0" and then fire up a program like WLS which uses the Windows Intermediate Driver is it able to activate the GPS receiver and optain a lock?

12. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

It definitely has affected it in a big way. If you don't kill the GPS applications, the screen never goes dark. I found that the only way to get the screen to go dark is to kill all, then lock the keyboard.

I am on the extended battery, and I have already lost a bar, and it has only been off the charger for 7-8 hours. I used to go a day+ before I lost a bar.

Not a bad trade off though!
  13. Francisco Viana

Francisco Viana New Member

Help GPS q9h

Hello

I have one moto Q9h Purchased in Europe (Portugal) and i try activate GPS using one.CAB file available in modaco.com, but i cant open COM 5 or 4 in navigation software. [​IMG]

My device have GPS? or its only for Q9h (Global) selling in US.

If yes, how i can activated in different ways

Regards

Francisco Viana
    www.pocketpt.net
  14. Icer Mize

Icer Mize New Member

GPS is mentioned on the AT&T box that the phone was received in and in the Applications Folder there is a link to "Get TeleNav GPS Navigator". I suppose if you do not have this link you do not have GPS.
  15. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

I found a good little application for turning on and off the gps -

Don't try this yet, I am having issues with it...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=293397

It has a setting for changing the com port, but that won't work for the Q9h, but the enable/disable works.

The com port setting saves it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\BT GPS, but for the Q, it needs to be in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice

I emailed the creator to see if I can get the source code and make the adjustments. I was just looking for the on off, to see if that will extend my battery life, but if I get the source, I will make the adjustments so we can control the com port as well.

BTW, don't set the com port in this app to the same that you have your gps, or anything else for that matter, set to or you won't be able to connect to your gps. Also, you will need to reboot to make the changes stick.
  16. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

Ok, it seems to work fine, be sure not to set the com port to the same port you are using for the internal gps, or your app will be confused. I will let you know if the developer shares his source code.
  17. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

So if we install this CAB you're referring to in your previous post to enable/disable our GPS we will be able to turn it on and off, but we just have to do a phone restart everytime we either enable or disable it?

So when we install this little enable/disable utility, since our GPS is on COM5, we have to select another COM port when we install this utility... so say we can select COM3 or something - making sure not to select a COM port that is already in use by say our Bluetooth...

MaRiA
  18. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

Update to Modaco GPS Activator

Update to the GPS Activator CAB from Modaco.

Grab the Smartphone GPS Activator CAB from Modaco here:
    http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-Standard-News/262137/Motorola-Q9H-ATT-GPS-ACTIVATED/

Run the CAB on your Q9h, this will basically "turn on" the GPS and assign it to COM5 automatically (no more registry edits to switch the COM port assignment).

Remember to restart the phone after the CAB install.

Now you can run GoogleMaps and/or WLS and have them recognize the GPS on COM5.

MaRiA

P.S.
    Afterwards, you can try and run the program to "enable/disable" the GPS so you can save on battery life.
  19. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

Yes, though I am not sure what the 2nd CAB file is that will set the Com port to 5, I used the Mobile registry editor to do that. I set the other COM port to 6 and it didn't seem to conflict with anything.

I am really hoping the person who wrote it will share the source, if he does, I will have something more useful out in a few hours. We shall see what comes of that.
  20. gmc74

gmc74 New Member

I traded messages with the guy who wrote that app, he doesn't think he still has the code, so I am not sure if I will get around to re-writing it. Maybe over the weekend if I have some extra time.