ATT Q9h GPS Crippled?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by stevemahon, Oct 31, 2007.

1. PDADoc

PDADoc New Member

Well, now I can't get anything to work. I don't know what to make of this GPS unit. I've tried Google Maps (which I had working before), WLS (also working before), and GPS Toolbox, and none of them detect the GPS.

I've tried every COM port possible and stayed in a parking lot with plenty of open sky for the longest time, but nothing came out of it. Whatsmore, I can't even figure out how to get my BT GPS receiver working with any software. Unlike the PPC OS, there doesn't appear to be any way to assign a COM port to the BT GPS.

Oh, well, back to the drawing board!
  2. nunzio

nunzio New Member

Crippling confirmed

[FONT=&quot]According to Moto support, ATT requested that the internal GPS be locked to Telenav. My only gues that windows live works because ogf the ATT plug.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I also spoke to ATT and they confirm that they have locked the GPS!!! This effectively cripples the GPS and makes it next to useless for many legit business applications!!! :angry:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][​IMG][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I am checking with Garmin. The tech on the phone claims not to have heard anything but I will nopt pony up $100 until I am sure it works.[/FONT]
  3. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Mine is definitely not locked. I just used it today on the way to work with google maps. It worked all the way and was very accurate as the cursor followed our every turn. It worked for real time navigation. I didn't expect that.
  4. nunzio

nunzio New Member

I understand but I believe they and Microsoft Live and on the supported list. I got the same information from Moto and ATT and Att refused to unlock the feature.
  5. Qbasic

Qbasic New Member

How to configure Q9h internal GPS and Google Maps

Were there any special settings/configurations that you had to make to get the internal GPS and Google Maps to work. I am having problems getting this to work. What is the COM port and baud rate?

Hopefully you can help me. Thanks in advance!
  6. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Being as the Q9h Global has built in Gps you don't have to fuss with Comm port settings etc. Just fire up google maps and select show my location. Live Real Time Navigation Free!!!!:laugh2:
  7. Qbasic

Qbasic New Member

It works!! WOOHOO!!

Duke,

thanks alot. i assume i still need a data plan with google map. is this correct?
  8. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

You pretty much need a data plan to use the Q or else it wont reach anywhere near its full potential. Also w/o a data plan you can quickly rack up a huge bill for example...sending MMS uses data, if you want to use any of the email or browsing feats. it will add up quick. You are supposed to get the PDA connect plan but you can get away with the Media maxx 200 which is %nl. data + 200 text/mms.

sent fr. my Q9h
  9. Qbasic

Qbasic New Member

Nice!!

Nice!! How long did it take for you to connect to a GPS satellite [sent from my laptop, but eventually from my Q9h :) ]
  10. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Varies depending on satellite signal strength and other terrain factors. I just tested it inside my room and it took about 20 secs as an example. I have had times when out and about where it took a minute or more to lock on though.
  11. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

Q9H GPS on COM5 !!

I got a cab from the link below which activates the GPS intermediate driver and assigns it to COM4. Checked it with GPS test and it worked great...Only thing is I couldn't connect to the internet with my browser. I then changed the registry and placed the GPS on COM5, Lo and behold everything worked! Get great GPS capture from inside the house no problem. The original CAB was for the BJII but it seems to work well.

Give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, Just uninstall it.

Check out this link http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-Standard-News/262074/Samsung-Blackjack-II-GPS-ACTIVATED/
  12. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

I installed it. I can tell it installed as the GPS log shows it on com4 but I can't find it in the registry. I know it must be there but I'm getting cross eyed looking for it. Do you remember where you found it?
  13. LuvrGirl

LuvrGirl Member

I'm in the same boat... where in the registry do we change the COM Port from 4 to 5?

Thanks!
    MaRiA
  14. JasonWilliam

JasonWilliam New Member

Great find Fire! Please do share how to change to COM5, as I'm having the same data issue.

Thanks!
  15. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

They way I found it was to open up the CAB file and look at the XML file. Here is the excerpt of the file with the pertinent information. This should help you find it.

- <characteristic type="HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer">
    <parm name="DriverInterface" value="COM4:" datatype="string" />

</characteristic>

- <characteristic type="HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice">
    <parm name="Index" value="4" datatype="integer" />

<parm name="Prefix" value="COM" datatype="string" />
  16. JasonWilliam

JasonWilliam New Member

Perfect! Works like a charm. I love my Q9H again!

PS: What map app are you using. I've got CoPilot 7 and its ok, but there is room for improvement.
  17. Firemedic

Firemedic New Member

Not using any software yet except for Live and google. Just wanted the capability for the future. I just got the phone yesterday..Loving it so far.

What are the problems with CoPilot 7? Isn't that pretty expensive?
  18. JasonWilliam

JasonWilliam New Member

Very expensive @ $200.

Here are my complaints:

.the backlight implementation seems to be buggy. I've tried all the settings available, but if CoPilot is running, even if its hidden, the backlight stays on at all times. Terrible on battery life.

.there is no way to turn on or off the GPS. If the program is running, it will connect and stay connected to the GPS. Not a huge deal, but if I just want to look at maps this can be combersome, as it will try to center on your position after a few seconds of inactivity

.the app just seems to run sluggishly. The menus and map refreshes are delayed by 1/2 second or so. Again, not a big deal but it makes the device feel really slow.

.the POI implementation is weird. I've tried a few lookups and it takes forever (45 seconds?) to search its list, and each time the search has resulted in no finds.
    ..you need to type the full name. there is no filtered list that updates with each letter.

.the exit app is buried 3 menus deep. With the sluggish refresh, it can take 5 seconds of clicking just to exit the app.

But it does seem to do what it was designed to do very well. The interface just needs some work, and for sure that backlight issue needs to get resolved before I could recommend it.
  19. Tin Star

Tin Star New Member

Thanks Firemedic for the PM. I was so tired last night it never dawned on me to look @xml. Don't want to hijack the thread but thanks again.
  20. HuckFinn

HuckFinn New Member

Firemedic and all,

Thanks so much for this. I have been trying to use other GPS programs with my Q9h and have had no luck. This information and your instructions on registry edits have these working great.

My one question is that it seems like the GPS receiver is always active now. What is this going to do with the battery life?