AT&T Version of the Q9h - My Take

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by wannaQ, Oct 31, 2007.

1. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

AT&T Version of the Q9h - My Take

I also own a Verizon Q9m for comparison purposes. Picked up an AT&T Q9h up Monday evening. Physically, I think it's nicer than any other version of the Q. Solid feel, soft touch black front and back, aluminum sides & d-pad. More metal, less plastic. Feels solid and sturdy, looks more along the lines of a Blackberry. Has that "executive" look.

In terms of performance, it's very snappy and responsive. Apps launch quickly, screens display quickly. It's more responsive than any other WM5/6 SmartPhone that I've tried. Comes with Opera Mobile, Docs to Go, Windows Live client, Java interpreter pre-installed. I installed the Java-based Opera Mini Beta 4 (love that speed and iPhone-like experience), and MS Mobile Office. It's quick with AT&T's EDGE and even faster in 3G areas.

Keyboard is GREAT, I found it more responsive than the Q9m. Installed maniacs Auto KeyLock, didn't work so i used SmartToolKit (most recent version) which is great and now offers cut & paste capabilities for any application. Has a pleasant blue backlight for the keyboard that pulses when it's charging.

Battery life seems good, still testing with the standard slim battery.

Screen seems brighter with better contrast than original Q or Q9m.

Built in GPS! At first I didn't think it worked but I tried it OUTSIDE in a clear area with Google Maps and Windows Live Search and they both worked. Just awesome!

Uses a micro USB port. Adapter's for mini USB accessories can be purchased from Moto.

I think it's currently the best QWERTY WM SmartPhone based device on the market. However, that may change when the BlackJack II is released. My understanding is that it will have better battery life.

My take. Comments and other experiences welcome.
  2. garment69

garment69 New Member

I was suprised, maybe incorrectly, that it only has 64mb of Ram. I though it was going to have 96.
  3. igotaq

igotaq New Member

your thoughts on Cnet review of at&t q9h global?

CNET editors' review

Very good 7.3
    out of 10

The good: The Motorola Q9h is a great messaging device with a spacious QWERTY keyboard, and also offers decent call quality and multimedia performance. The Windows Mobile 6 smartphone features HSDPA support; Bluetooth; GPS; world roaming; and a 2-megapixel camera.
    The bad: There are occasions where the Q9h can be sluggish, and its battery life drains quickly. Some users may not like the lack of a scroll wheel.
    The bottom line: Though not the sexiest or sleekest device on the market, the Motorola Q9h Global is an all-around solid smartphone that offers mobile professionals good messaging, clear call quality, and GPS and HSDPA--all for a great value.
  4. wannaQ

wannaQ New Member

I think it received a good score. I don't find it sluggish as all, in fact, quite the opposite. I think it's the fastest SmartPhone I have ever used in terms of responsiveness. I like the way it looks (more hard edge than rounded). Battery life I'm still evaluating. So far, started using it at 8:30am with 3 bars fully charged. It's now 12:15 and I'm down to two bars with heavy surfing and Exchange DirectPush, no calls. We'll have to wait and see.