AT&T Q9h Global Locked Down File Manager

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by Duke4062, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

AT&T Q9h Global Locked Down File Manager

I've noticed on my new att q9h the file manager is not in control of all the apps like on the original Q. Certain applications the file manager refuses to move or delete or even rename. Has anyone else found a way to unlock this restricted use of the file manager or am I the only one this bothers?
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

sounds like those files are in ROM just like there are files on the original Q in ROM that you cant move
  3. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Are you sure? I remember being able to at least rename any application. Renaming the app would change the order it is displayed in the start menu which was sorda a makeshift way of customizing my start menu in the desired order. I can't move certain apps and I cant even rename them. I am sure the original wasn't this locked down. There must be something I can do?
  4. n99hockey

have you tried to rename them with a program such as resco?
    if you are talking about 3rd party apps vs. built-in apps that may be the difference
  5. palmanoe

palmanoe New Member

Xpress Mail Removal Q9h

I've been trying to remove the xpress mail link on my homepage by altering the cingular.home.xml file (as suggested on other threads). I copied the file onto my PC, used an xml editor on my PC and saved the file with the changes. Then I tried to copy the file back onto my phone, but got a message saying something like I didn't have permission to do so. I also tried altering the xml file from within the phone itself, but got the same message. I checked the file's properties to make sure the "Hidden" & "System" file options were unchecked. Still no luck. I think the problem is related to this thread. Anyone know whats going on?
  6. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Just go into settings and change it to Windows defaut home screen. Exact same home screen as the at&t preloaded one minus the express mail link.
  7. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

No but I will give it a try.

Yes I am talking about the built in apps. Third party are full controlable. I should be able to move and rename preinstalled apps though like on my vzw Q.
  8. palmanoe

palmanoe New Member

Its not the same, because the Icons at the top in Windows Default mode cannot be customized (at least on my phone); they pop up and are in order based on usage and you cannot reduce their size.
  9. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Cool thats a new feature I don't remember on wm5. I never liked the most recent viewed setup for the homescreen icons. Let me know when you figure out how to remove the express mail shortcut.
  10. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

There is a way to retain the Smartphone home screen look without the "Get Xpress Mail" shortcut. See this thread.
  11. palmanoe

palmanoe New Member

As I mentioned previously, this doesn't work for me because:

"I copied the file onto my PC, used an xml editor on my PC and saved the file with the changes. Then I tried to copy the file back onto my phone, but got a message saying something like I didn't have permission to do so. I also tried altering the xml file from within the phone itself, but got the same message. I checked the file's properties to make sure the "Hidden" & "System" file options were unchecked. Still no luck."

Anyone know whats going on, thanks!
  12. GraemeCR

GraemeCR New Member

But the technique does not involve XML editing or any editing. It's simply copying a file that's already on your phone (mine, anyway) to a different location. Maybe it's the editing that alters the file?
  13. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

How about the Topic of this thread? Has anyone found out why Most preloaded apps are locked down and cannot be moved,renamed or erased? Or a possible fix, edit or workaround to gain full control with the file manager so they can be?
  14. palmanoe

palmanoe New Member

Sorry, essentially the topic of this thread was my question as well. So can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
  15. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

I loaded up resco file explorer 2005 but I can't figure out how to use it. The file system is very strange and I cant seem to figure how to move things around. Have you used this program? If so where would I find the start menu/apps so I could start moving them around and renaming?
  16. n99hockey

the start menu apps are located in
    \window\start menu

atleast those are the icons

the programs are probably in
    \program files
  17. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Mt mistake. I didnt realize that there were 2 different programs that get loaded when yu install resco and I was looking at the registry. Duh!:tounge:
  18. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Unfortunately resco file explorer cannot view most of the preloaded at&t locked down apps. It does show all the 3rd party apps I've myself loaded and a few of the preloaded at&t apps. So the search continues.
  19. n99hockey

have you 'unhid' your system files?
  20. Duke4062

Duke4062 New Member

Yes they're unhid.