At home wireless connection

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cliffy88, Jul 2, 2006.

1. myersguy

myersguy New Member

Wi Fi

The Samsung I 730 comes with WI FI. I had that phone for a year before switching to the Q. I had very good success with that phone.h
  2. bfly

bfly New Member

What registry are you talking about. If it is the registry for Windows Mobile, then that probably has nothing to do with the hardware of the phone.

Does the phone have a similar file structure of other Motorola phones (ie. seems). If it had seems then there might be hope WIFI could be enabled with a seem edit.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.
  3. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

Unlike previous generations of phones, this is a Smartphone and as such, it is a Windows device. As it is a Windows device, it has a Registry tree just like a PC, that controls various fucntions and settings on the Q. Previous phones we've all dealt with, were not, and had to have hidden settings etc. activated through seem edits that manually manipulated ROM code that was hard coded into the phone. I don't even know that seem edits are even possible on Windows Mobile 5.0. I haven't seen any, but perhaps it's too early. Digging through the Q's Registry, there are specific references to Wi-Fi, which I have have always found odd as the phone is shipped with no native Wi-Fi suppprt. It seems clear as of this writing, that no one has yet to get the Spectec card working on the Q and it's not clear why. Supposedly it's a power issue with the phone..
    Whether or not this can be beat, again, unclear, but the Gnomes are busy working!!! We wish them the best!!
  4. vtx1300rider@comcast.net

vtx1300rider@comcast.net New Member

This is a very interesting thread and I think I will pursue this also. I have exported the Q's registry to my desktop (you know, 19in screen and all) and will be looking into it in depth to see what can be seen. I have wi-fi at home, work, and a lot of places where I go. It would be nice to utilize the faster connection.

Jesse
  5. freeyayo

freeyayo New Member

somebody figure this out
  6. Canis85

Canis85 New Member

so I was thinking, can somebody confirm that it is indeed a power issue? If someone can confirm that, I'm going to try to hack an external power supply into the wifi mini-sd card to see if I can power it that way, but I don't want to waste the money on the card if that wouldn't work. So does anybody have information on the registry end of things that would get the phone to recognize and use it if there was enough power? I'm up for making it my project for the next few weeks... I already have the wiring diagrams for mini-sd cards, along with the voltages required to power them.

hopefully people still look at this thread...
  7. dawiese

dawiese New Member

I'm lookin'. `cuz $45/month on a 3 inch screen is highway robbery.
  8. QDude

QDude New Member

Spectec w/ Q plugged in?

I found this on another thread and thought it would be of interest. If the statement, "The only way to currently make it work is to have the Q plugged in, to get extra juice.", is true, that would imply that there is something in the firmware that is lowering the SIDO power durring battery only operation. Additionally, I would be willing to carry a charger or external pack to use WIFI on this phone. Is there anyone who can confirm or deny this statement? Here is the original post from http://www.gearlog.com/2006/05/ask_me_anything_about_the_moto.php