At home wireless connection

Discussion in 'Motorola Q' started by cliffy88, Jul 2, 2006.

1. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

At home wireless connection

I'm looking for a new cell phone, and I came across the Q. The town I live in has wireless all over town (all the local shops have it). I also have a wireless network in my home. Therefore paying the 40 bucks a month for the internet serivce would be stupid! I just got off the phone with a moto Q guy and he hinted strongly at the fact that it could be done. I'd just have to look on forum and I'd find my answer. I have come...and now I'm hopeing to find how will I connect my new Q phone up to my at home wireless internet connection. I have a linksys router if that helps...
  2. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

3. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

Just researching that same issue last night.. Drats.. Wish I could recall that web site.. Short answer is NO. VZW has locked out the ability to use a MiniSD Wi-Fi card.. If I find the URL, I'll post it..

B
  4. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

From talking to a rep it's very possible to get around that lock out. I don't have my phone yet, but once I get it I'll start working on that. There are programs to acess the main software files of the Q. I remember reading that somewhere. So there should be a config file that can be update/hacked/fixed so that you can use a wifi card. They wouldn't have built a phone that couldn't have the feature. They just don't want it unlocked, because college kids and those who have there own wireless network wont shell out their 44 a month. I was told on the phone my a moto tech and a verizon Q tech that it was possible to be done. Anything can be hacked. The xbox 360...already done, and microsoft called it hack proof. I'm not saying it wont take a little time and effort. But it can be done...I was just hoping to find a place to start!

msmobiles.com - Review: mini-SD Wi-Fi 802.11b card from Spectec - SDW-822
    This site seems to suggest that the Q phone will work with a mini sd wifi card. I ordered one off ebay, and it should arrive the same day as my phone. Wish me luck. Once I get it working I can post a guide if need be.
  5. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

I love it!! A man after my own heart.. It'll be exciting in the coming days and weeks to watch, ahem, cough, cough... "Innovation" with the Q really take off..

Still can't find this URL.. And I'm still searching.. Truth be told NO ONE has yet publicly posted their ability to get the Spectec MiniSD Wi-Fi card working with the Q.. But I'd love to see it..

Two issues continue to crop up 1) No drivers exist from Spectec to support the Q. And that will be the biggest obstacle.. 2) Their appears to be a power supply issue with the phone, not supplying sufficient juice to support the Spectec card.. Oh so the story goes...

B
  6. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

Thats exactly what I've found so far. However until I get my phone I really can't do or say to much. My phone should arrive thursday or friday along with the card (ordered both on the same night, and both are using same shipping from very close distances).

I have found that the site below has a ton of people agreeing that it's a power issue. But like I said before the cards specs fit the phones specs. I emailed Spectec asking very detailed questions. So hopefully they wont give me the cheap short answer they have been giving everyone. I'd also like to add I don't see how it could be a drive issue...the mini sd wifi card supports the OS that the Q is running...I guess I'll find out one I get my phone!

Qusers.com - qusers.com
  7. George Harkin

George Harkin New Member

Already supported?

I'm thinking that the phone already has wifi built in. Looking at the GSM phones, they are going to support wifi. Looking through the registry, i saw some references to Wifi support. I'm starting to think that we can just hack the q's internal wifi to work.
  8. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

Well well well, looks like I got someone else wanting to help me! I just got my Q phone today, but I want be able to start messing with it until tonight. If you get start and find something good, please please post!
  9. pauljcote

pauljcote New Member

get a pocket pc instead of a q. actually, the q is like a little weaker PDA with the ability to use Verizon's service and telephone. If you don't want to use that service, you are better off with just a regular old pda and a phone. On the other hand, if you don't want to use the webrowser, you can still use the phone as a phone and put some stuff on the memory card and synch to the computer.
  10. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

No need to be a negative nacy...I don't have the room to carry both a pda and a phone. This has all the features I need. And for 199 I can't complain. I do with that there was wifi on it...which this is, it's just locked out or something like that. I'll be looking into that a little more deeper tonight!
  11. Ballzo

Ballzo New Member

It's intersting going through the Registry and seeing all the references to Wi-Fi... Obviously there for a reason..

B
  12. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

Anyone found anything yet. I have just set down to start working on the project. I'm going through and learning about the file structure system first...
  13. Spartan

Spartan New Member

im really looking forward to any news on this subject:thumbup:
  14. cliffy88

cliffy88 New Member

Tonight I just went about the end and out of how to change all the settings...and basically just got it personalized to my likings...which I didn't even me to do. Like I said before I am not paying for the 44 bucks a month plan. So if I'm hooked up to the net with a blue tooth connection, how do I know it's useing that instead of the pay by kb thing. Just like if we get the wifi going...how do we know we still aren't going to get charged per kb of data...
  15. Spartan

Spartan New Member

i guess the only way to find out is to look at next month's phone bill
  16. myersguy

myersguy New Member

Wireless Connection

Cliffy88,

See what happens if you put the phone in flight mode. That should turn off the internal radio.
  17. bpatt

bpatt New Member

I think that turns BT off as well, doesn't it?
  18. DestinationQ

DestinationQ New Member

Yes it does turn of BT, since bluetooth devices (all wireless devices actually) aren't allowed to be used on airplanes
  19. veroson

veroson New Member

looking fwd to news too..
  20. astronmr20

astronmr20 New Member

I find it pretty rediculous that any new laptop can do wifi out of the box, but these small windows devices "can't." Really, it's that they wont because of the enormous contracts between manufacturers like moto and verizon, etc. -obviously to shove you into a lucrative data contract. Pretty slutty, if you ask me, and the first provider (hopefully tmobile) to "allow" their devices and customers to do this will cetianlly change htings.

Very discouraging, though, and it's the one reason I havent bought a PDA/ smartphone yet. Ive had my eye on the sidekick 2 and the Q, but not untill I can use wifi.

It will be interesting to see what happens..