Assign true call history to the "send" button

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by KillerQ, Sep 9, 2007.

1. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Assign true call history to the "send" button

Hey all,

On previous phone, one of the nice things was that when you hit the send button once -- the recent call history would show -- including missed calls.

On the Q, however, tapping the send button only shows received and made calls...

Granted I can access the true call history in the start menu -- or assign a number pad speed dial to it -- but that takes longer than simply tapping the talk key...

Anyone found a workaround?

This is nice, because If i want to call a number back that was a missed call, it would be there at my fingertips....

Thanks,

Matt!
  2. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hi,

Hit the space bar when on the Home screen, that should give you what you're looking for

Best,
  3. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Hello...

Thanks... However, before posting, i tried that and the missed call icon wasn't there. I did call the person back before checking, so I don't know if that clears the missed call icon . I'll check again...

Also, what is kind of inconvenient about the space bar, is if i hit home and then hit space bar to see the history -- it takes you to keypad lock mode -- since that's the short cut...

I'll report back,

Thanks again,
    Matt!
  4. .plaid

.plaid New Member

Hey Killer, good morning.

The missed call icon is a little box with an exclamation point next to the phone. When I hit the space bar I see some arrows out, some arrows in, and some boxed "!"s.

Also, in all fairness, I wouldn't worry too much about locking your phone when trying to check for missed calls - how often will you be "somewhere inside" your phone and decide to check for missed calls? Even if you do, wait 2 seconds and you'll be fine.

Have a good one,
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Missed Calls

I just tested this, calling my Q from my home phone and hanging up. I then pressed the Send key and the missed call showed there with the boxed exclamation point. I even tried it with Caller ID blocked (*67) and that call also showed up.

I'm not sure why Killer's would behave differently.

Steve
  6. regression

regression New Member

If you don't want to lock the keypad, you can either wait a couple seconds like someone else suggested, or hit, Home, the navigation key (up for example), then space. When you hit the up navigation key, that "breaks" the keyboard lock sequence (Home, space bar). Hope that makes sense...
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Why Use Space?

But why use the Space key at all? The Send key works just as well without worrying about locking the keyboard and it works from within almost any application. (In those applications where it would dial a number, press Home, then Send.)

Steve
  8. .plaid

.plaid New Member

That's a good question, Steve. I (think I) read in the manual that the Space Bar is where it's at, as it were, and have always used this button to access my call history. I've never noticed missed calls when hitting Sendx1, but there they are, looking me straight in the face.

Thanks for chiming in, sir.

Best,
  9. KillerQ

KillerQ New Member

Hey all,

Good - it looks like my thread is helping some of us re-discover our talk button...lol..

Ok, I figured it out. As we know the space bar and the talk button bring up the same list. The list IS recent calls. However, only ONE of each -- that is, if you call the same person 3 times, only the most recent entry shows.

The CALL HISTORY icon in the start menu logs every call and it's status -- so the same name will appear 3 times in a row, etc...

Another main difference, is that if you hit talk to access the recent calls -- and click talk again on a missed call, that number will dial, and the most recent entry for that number is no longer a missed call....it's an outgoing call. So, you'll only see an outgoing call symbol for that name if you hit the space bar or the talk button.

On the flip side, you can go to a missed call under the CALL HISTORY icon, and the missed call symbol stays there in the order it was in -- and, obviously, a new outgoing call will be created at the front of the list...

I hope this helps...

(wow, I never dreamed I would write a short novel on the TALK button...lol)

Later,

Matt!
  10. .plaid

.plaid New Member

I know that some keys can be remapped, or that the speed-dial-thingee can be set up for some functions...I'd be interested leaving the Send/Talk button as is & remapping the space bar to the Call History proper that you mention.

I may get to it, I may not. But, ah, the places you'll go....

Best,
  11. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Recent Calls vs. Call History

That's a good point, and one that I probably hadn't noticed. However, if you press the Send button, I think the assumption is that you're going to make a call, so you wouldn't really want the same person listed 10 times in a row if you wanted to call somebody else.

The Call History is a historical record of calls; the Recent Calls list is meant to speed up calling somebody again.

Yes, but if you're calling the person you missed the call from, they'll probably tell you why they called. :wink: So, again, the behavior makes sense. (I know you didn't claim that it didn't make sense; I just wanted to point out why it makes sense.)

Steve