Application Always Running when I check Task Manager

Discussion in 'Q Home Screens and Wallpapers' started by Uncle650, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Uncle650

Uncle650 New Member

Application Always Running when I check Task Manager

Got a Text Message yesterday from Verizon about the DST Update. Deleted the message as have already done the update. Now whenever I check the Task Manager I have Text Message running. I had the same problem with my comcast e-mail, but now the Text application. I bet if I connected to my comcast e-mail then it would start running in the task manager.

Does anybody else have this problem and how did you fix? Just beginning to drive me nuts.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

well have you tried to kill the task? if you kill the task it wont be in the task manager. and when you check your mail it will appear in the task manager as it is an application that is running. if you dont want them in the task manager when your done you have to kill it since there is no exit command in either app.
    i hope that made sense.
  3. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I have noticed "Text Message" running a lot on my Q, but I'm not sure if it's because I just text'ed someone and didn't shut down the process or if it's persistent. I'll have to start checking. Good head's up.
  4. Uncle650

Uncle650 New Member

I always kill the task, but when I go back a little later into Task Manager it will be back running again.

Thanks for the help.
  5. zeropants

zeropants New Member

Any time you run something on your phone, it will remain in the tasks until you kill it. I have task manager set as a speed dial #9 on my phone so I can kill everything when I'm done using the phone for a while. If you leave them running, they will use a minimal amount of power, but it will add up and drain your battery faster.
  6. traceywaldron

traceywaldron New Member

Also plagued by recurring/uninitiated Text Msg app

You are not alone. My Q as well seems to have the Text Messaging app running whenever I check Task Manager. There is no way this is my accident -- I don't send text messages, except maybe once in a blue moon (defined as about 3 a year). I have repeatedly killed the Text Messaging app (three times yesterday), yet it keeps reappearing.

Quite the curiosity.

-TTW
  7. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i have noticed the same thing... and i do use txt'ing quite often but am sure to kill it when i am done, at least i am not the only one :}
  8. xghostx

xghostx New Member

same here with my gmail and the text messages on my wifes phone. always killing it in task manager and never using them?
  9. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

gmail only checks once a day in my case but like i said, almost always when i sent a text message i kill the app a while later.
  10. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Is there a program that will shut down all applications after use automatically?
  11. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I'm getting the same "Text Messages" always popping up in task manager. I'll kill all tasks, just let the Q sit idle, then a little while later, "Text Messages" shows up.

maybe the most current update fixes this?
  12. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Nope. I just got my new one from the Sprite store yesterday with that Motorla update installed and I gettinga all types of applications turning on by them selves. I havent used "TCMP" player at all. But it on in Taks Manager. Anybody know what "API client" is or "tcmd.exe"? is that the active sync connection?

Edit: API client is Active Sync. As soon as I killed itmy connection was stopped.
  13. qnoob

qnoob New Member

yup, you found out the hard way, lol. I too killed all when i saw those apps (while the Q was connected via ActiveSync) and it made things go awry. I believe tcmd.exe is also related to ActiveSync. I always see them both together.
  14. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

This is my first time seeing them. I never saw them before on my First Q, ever.
  15. UNBLVR

UNBLVR New Member

It seems whatever type of "messaging" you used or accessed last is what will continue to appear in the task manager. Typically, MMS is what I'm always having to kill.

Joe
  16. qnoob

qnoob New Member

hmmmm, on the 13th of every hour, "Text Messages" pops up in the Task Manager on its own. I kill it, and it comes back on every hour at the same time.
  17. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

every 13 minutes after the hour ? you timed it ? i should try it because -as said before- i seen it running pretty often even though i didn't use it.
  18. Blackquser

Blackquser New Member

All smartphone applications only minimize(per say) applications, so they remain running always in the background until you kill them with the task manager. As far as something like text messaging coming on at the same time, this has something to do with your settings or an error. It's not a big deal if you have unlimited data plans, but it will slow down your q if too many tasks are running in the background. Oh and God forbid you have to take 5 seconds to kill them...Yeah it's annoying.
  19. qnoob

qnoob New Member

yeah, I've been timing it. It WAS the 13th of every hour, now it's the 15th of every hour now. Every hour, I'll check and find Text Messages starting itself up again in the Task Manager, i kill it and let the phone sit and WHAM like clock work, it appears in the Task Manager again.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

@ Blackquser: i dunno... so many Q have text messaging popup in the task manager w/o using it at that time, so that means we all have the same setting incorrect ?

@ qnoob: when i find some time tomorrow i will try and monitor the text messaging behavior..