Anything to expect for WP7 in CES 2011 (January)

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by B0SS, Nov 26, 2010.

1. B0SS

B0SS New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new smartphone and I'm deciding between the ever so elusive "Nexus S" from Samsung + Google, some of the other Dual-Core Android beasts, and a WP7 handset.

Now, I like WP7's paradigm shift as far as its OS's mentality is overall.

But, being an avid iPhone owner, there are some things that I've come to love and get used to that I would rather not have to live without.

Although, I like the new OS so much, I'm considering let all of those shortcomings go.

I was wondering if anyone here as any idea if CES 2011 will yield any new handsets, or potentially even an OS update.

I will probably be waiting that long just in case, but I was wondering what the probability was for any of those things ocurring.

Thanks!
  2. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

Me personally, the move to Windows Phone 7 from iPhone is more natural than Android.

The current lot of WP7 phones are good, but not great. Not unlike Android, I think there will be some serious competition when it comes to hardware. CES would be the perfect stage for this and I certainly think we'll see some new WP7 handsets.

Are you locked to a specific carrier?
  3. B0SS

B0SS New Member

I agree with you completely from what I can discern as an outsider.

I'm quite excited about CES personally, both for Android and WP7, but mainly for some serious WP7 upgrades.

Sadly, at the moment, I'm tied to AT&T. :(
  4. chris

Same here. I can't complain though. As someone who uses all the major platforms, they are all a SIM card switch away with AT&T.
  5. B0SS

B0SS New Member

That's true. I do get annoyed by the incessant mocking of the network, yet again, it's coverage is pretty bad in my areas! xD

Would you say a new OS update is plausible at CES?
  6. chris

I have no information, but again that's a reasonable assumption. It's been months since gold, so I'm sure they've cooked up a bunch of improvements. How it rolls out on all the carriers should be interesting.
  7. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

There is supposed to be an update in January (rumor). It is supposed to include copy/paste and a few other items. I have even read rumors about multitasking for certain 3rd party apps.
  8. B0SS

B0SS New Member

@chris Agreed.

@NaplesBill Sounds cool, yeah, they really need that multitasking because from what I've heard, upon quitting a taxing game, you may be forced to load the intro and menu again. That sucks.
  9. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

It shouldn't happen if you hit the home key. I know for a fact that the Flowers game saves the current state when hitting home (windows key) or back. The design of the OS is to use the home key when you just want to "pause" the app. Then you can go back to it by hitting the back key.