Anyone want to help "cooking" threaded messaging into a ROM for the Q9h ????

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Mar 5, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i see i see
    good luck then....

-Sent from my Q
  2. drait

drait New Member

I've used non-US ROMs before on other devices and they never had to be localized for US/UK English, as that's a default language/theme option in addition to any localizations (in this case, Chinese). There are probably some keyboard tweaks that'll have to be done, since the QWERTY keyboards/keycodes are usually different than the pinyin ones.

First step would probably be to figure out how to backup the existing ROM. Once you can successfully backup and restore, you can play to your heart's desire without too much fear of bricking it.
  3. mexiken

mexiken New Member

From reading over at XDA, apparently you need access to linux and some command line knowhow to mess around with its shell to back up a ROM.

The keyboard part I can probably figure out how to map the new keys, but I don't think I can do the linux part. I know very little in that area.
  4. drait

drait New Member

You're in luck; linux is my forte (and it happens to be my job as well) ;) Have any threads you can point me to?
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

LOL, oh man, you're like my savior right now. Yeah, I do. Let me dig some up and I will post them here.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ok. Here is a link to make ROM's into other languages (in case the Chinese one doesn't have the Eng version):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=311078

Here is the link that shows how to change the keyboard layout:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=323790

Here is the thread I read, using mkrom, to make a backup:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=381803

That should work, I think. Or we can try this one:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=XDAtools

Or this one:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=DumpRom

Here is the link to create your own basic ROM kitchen for any device:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=ROMkitchen

And here is the thread that I started asking about how to make a ROM backup (specifically for the Q9h):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=381803

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
  7. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

Your link is to the Wallaby kitchen, that is no longer available. You all need to understand that we may be starting this from scratch. There is a possibility of bricking your device each time you decide to attempt reading at the rom level. Same goes for writing at rom level.
  8. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Yeah I noticed that this morning. Unfortunate to say the least.

I dont mind bricking the phone so much. AT&T is kinda dumb, they'll replace my phone if you give them the right reason. Benefits of working for them I guess, you learn their policies. I have insurance on it anyway, so worst comes to worst they charge 50 bucks, which they always warn you of, but never heard of it being charged.

I have no qualms about going at it. Everything on my phone is backed up, and I just want it !!!! LOL, is that so wrong, aside from being a bit juvenile ???? :embarassed:
  9. drait

drait New Member

I read through those links mex, and none of them seem to apply directly to WM6-based devices. I know there's a ton of info over at XDA, and if I've got some time I'll try and find WM6-specific ROM tools. But seeing as the WM6.1 upgrade should be heading our way sooner or later (probably later) it might just be best to wait it out.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Its up to you. I'll be glad to help search around for stuff with you, but if you feel you would like to wait, then we can do so. However, I'm being rather pessimistic with the timetable of the release. I honestly don't see it happening until very late June at best, probably later, knowing AT&T's track record with this specific phone (it was delayed the better part of a year, about 6-9 months if I recall correctly)
  11. drait

drait New Member

The more my Q9 acts up, the more I want to get 6.1 on it. I'm almost outside of my 1st 30 days, so let me get it insured and then we can start cooking ;-)
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Right behind you.
  13. GHACK

GHACK New Member

ROM needed CABs likely

When MSFT develops an incremental upgrade to an existing operating system they use the existing OS as a starting point. This is evidenced by the evolution of patches that allow a large amount of functionality from the point of release to the next OS.

Example: Windows firewall was not a feature of XP when XP was released. DUN, MDAC, and many other services that are included with OS upgrades are patched on existing OS before moved to the next major release.

Reason: its just practical.

I'm not interested in a base ROM for mms threading. I want a clean device. The navigation of my att Q is completely insane.

I've read the XDA tilt page which outlines how to get a clean device and tried it on my Q. (with the Z & E hard reset). Unfortunately the scripts restart where they left off (soft reset no longer stops them from completing). I know this for a fact because I've done the soft reset multiple times after the "Erase UserFS Key Pressed" and during the "Your phone is powering on for the first time... PLEASE WAIT do not turn off the phone until this process is complete" screen. The result was NOT an aborted ATT custom setup but some contacts had been installed multiple times (voicemail listed three times, pay my bill listed three times).

[edit]

This is exciting news. This means the Moto Q starts with a clean rom - it just includes cabs that are executed on first boot. All we have to do is start these cabs from executing on first boot and bob is your uncle. You'll have a clean rom running on the machine.

I'm considering a reghack during the first boot to dump the unmodded registry.

[edit]

BTW power button at this point did not work - I soft resetted by removing battery.

Anyone know of a clean boot method for Windows mobile? Something like Windows 98 holding the control key but for Mobile would be ideal.

I have 30 days on my device so in the unfortunate condition that I brick it I can return it.
  14. drait

drait New Member

In my experience, aborting the post-hard reset config was done either by powering off or soft-resetting during the installation (PLEASE WAIT) phase. From your post, it sounds like you tried that and it didn't work, so quite possibly Moto and/or AT&T messed with the "standard" WM6 install routine.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Guess whos got a ROM of 6.0 for the Q Global ????
  16. drait

drait New Member

Nice. I'm ready to start cooking with my Q9.
  17. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I need to do some stuff first. Also, I have no idea if it actually works. But I'll update tonight. Hopefully by then, I have 6.1 running, bug free :2cool:
  18. GHACK

GHACK New Member

Clean 6.0 rom

Any chance I can get my hands on that procedure?

How did you obtain it? Serial dump commands common to the processor?
  19. mexiken

mexiken New Member

When I'm done putting it together, I will make it available
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to repack what I've got into a flashable sbf file. And thats no bueno. Because a. I can't try new flashes. And B. I can't even load the old one if it doesn't work. I'm a bit stumped now. I have something I can try, but if it doesn't boot, I can't load my old phone back on. The only option I'd have is to input the Chinese one I have been working with, which will throw the keyboard off, among a few other things.