Anyone want to help "cooking" threaded messaging into a ROM for the Q9h ????

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by mexiken, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Anyone want to help "cooking" threaded messaging into a ROM for the Q9h ????

All right, so after searching Modaco and XDA last night, I came across a couple of things:

They have 6.1 running on a Sprint Mogul, with threaded text. This has been "cooked" into the 6.0 ROM. Now, all they require to "cook" something into a ROM is an official ROM (or even a homebrew works), a "kitchen" (a program designed to allow you to modify ROMS), and the files you would like to change.

I can't wait for 6.1 to be officially released (I'm thinking BJ I here and how long it took for that update). I'd like to try and see if any Q9h users on this board would like to try and be the first to make a 6.1 ROM for the Q9h. I think I can get most of the "ingredients", I think I'd just need help making a ROM from our phones, and possibly help tracking down the correct files. Anyone interested ????
  2. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oops, I just realized I put "cooking" instead of "cook" for the thread title. My mistake.
  3. drait

drait New Member

I'm game!! Although I don't have a whole lot of experience cooking custom ROMs, I do have plenty of experience testing cooked ROMs on HTC devices.
  4. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

Well, i have been a "chef" on XDA Developers for the HTC Wizard. My series is called NTS and includes Panther and Jaguar release of WM6 for those devices.

What we would need in order to do this is kinda complex. We would need alot of information as to how to package the update for one, then we would need another phone which has 6.1 (SP edition) in order to port the os to the Q9h. Thats the complex part. We would need to port the XIP (thats what they call in on the Wizard) to what we have now, which does include drivers and such in order to make the OS work.

With the age of this device, i would just suggest waiting for the update as the Q9h community does not seem to be as large or as involved as the Wizard community is. But im game for help if you want.

As for threaded SMS, thats based on the version of Arcsoft that is installed on the device. It may just be a simple registry key. Or maybe try and find a cab file for it to test the install on our current OS.
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Wait wait wait. Let me get this straight:

The threaded messaging, the built-in OS one that is supposed to debut on Windows Mobile 6.1, could be unlocked with registry key changes and a cab file install ???? Is there even a cab that just has those files for threaded texting ???? I thought I saw something like that in one of the XDA threads. If thats all it is, I'd rather do that. I don't really need the features of 6.1 yet, I'd just like threaded texting, and it'd be ideal if it was built-in to the OS.

What is Arcsoft ???? I'm afraid I don't know what that is.
  6. mexiken

mexiken New Member

And well, I know of at least ONE phone that is running 6.1. The Boy Genius Report's Q9h....
  7. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

The messaging software is just that, software. Here is the cab file for the Kaiser install. Might take a bit of tweaking, but i dont have WinCE on my computer at work, ill look at it when i get home.

Arcsoft_MMS_5.0.31.7.cab

Arcsoft is the company that wrote the MMS software. They have kinda cornered the market with WM devices.
  8. drait

drait New Member

Isn't Arcsoft just for MMS composition though? The Q9h's SMS editor looks like the standard MS variety.
  9. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

You are correct, but the Arcsoft MMS composer replaces that with its own, basically giving you both and also giving you threaded capabilities. It allows you one mailbox for both MMS and SMS in one view and will even thread MMS and SMS if sent to the same person.
  10. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Oh wow.

How much tweaking was needed for the Kaiser ???? Or is this the version that works ????

Can I look at the code with Visual Studio ???? I don't know how old my version is though. I heard only new versions support CE. Is this true ????
  11. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

in order to tell just how much tweaking there will be for the application, I will need to wait till I have a chance to look at the registry of the Q9h (which i dont have in hand yet). I will get to work on it as soon as I do though.

Hopefully we can get some of those cool apps like they have for the Wizard and such on these devices.
  12. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I'm more than willing to make/send you a copy of my Q9h registry if you should require it. I made a few changes (mostly all the hacks posted in the stickies). I use PHM Registry Editor to edit, and I believe Resco allows you to backup and export the registry, and SKTools should too. Let me know if you need it.
  13. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

Al i need to know is if the standard WM6 Reg Keys are the same? If they are then I might actually have a few i didnt see listed here, but then again, that was with my Wizard and All from cooking experience.
  14. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I don't know if they're the same. I haven't poked around with any other WM6 Reg's except the Q9h's. But I made a backup. It turns out PHM Registry Editor does export. Would you like it ????
  15. nottoosmart

nottoosmart New Member

no thanks ill get it tomorrow and then i can start working on it. I added my im names to my profile so if you want to work there until we can come up with something concrete, then we can post here. conversation getting off topic now
  16. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Ok, so an update.

I have tracked down a Windows Mobile 6.1 ROM, for the Moto Q !!!!

Here are the caveats. Its from a Chinese phone, I believe from China Mobile. And I also don't know if its for the Q, the Q9h, the Q9c, the Q9m, or which phone it will work with, even if we could "localize" it. I don't know what model China Mobile does or does not carry, so I have no way of knowing what phone they ripped it off. Anyone care to look into it ???? I couldn't find anything.

Obviously, you need to localize it as far as language and so forth. But other than that, and getting the AT&T settings onto the phone, does anyone know how we can go about this ???? I have C++.net Studio with Windows CE support, and can open up pretty much any of the files, but I haven't taken a programming class in awhile, and never worked directly with Windows CE. Anyone wanna help ????

Update: I learned that you need either Windows Mobile SDK's, or Visual Studio 2005 and above to program for Windows Mobile. I have VS2008 =) I also learned that programs for Windows can be created in C++ (which is the language I know best), so thats kind of exciting. I think I might be able to actually be of some use or able to actually pull this off if someone knows a bit more about the file storage system or the file structure of ROMS that Windows uses, so that I can modify the files I need to. Anyone any good at this ????
  17. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

now that we know its going to be released your still going to mess with this?
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

You know, I was pondering the same thing. I had been meaning to post about the ROM since I had it for about 2 or 3 days now. It could potentially be modded to work in a week or so, while who knows how long the update will take to actually be available.

But, also, now I'm just curious if I can do it, code wise. Or, if I can't, why I can't.
  19. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

aaah i see
    its a test in futility :)

-Sent from my Q
  20. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well, not really. I kinda want to be the first "kid on the block" to have 6.1 on his Q9h. LOL, I'm allowed to be like that, with at least 1 thing.

And, well, obviously if I can figure this out, when the official version comes out, I can compare the workarounds I used with what they have/did. Thats kinda how you learn right ???? Do the work, then compare the answer when you have your own, and see if you did anything differently.