Anyone using their Nap on Sprint network?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by ninjaap, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Anyone using their Nap on Sprint network?

Was wondering if anyone here have/is successfully using it on the sprint network? I want to migrate from att as soon as my contract is up. I like sprint because their plans are way cheaper, but as I understand it there is no option in settings to manually configure internet settings for sprint (ie start/settings/connections/gprs). And so far there is not a useable sprint ROM avaible for the N. If not possible, I will migrate over to vzw as the phone was developed for that carrier anyway.

TIA :smile:
  2. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well I got my answer from sprint cc. The answer was kind of vague. Either it is "technologically" impossible or they just want me to buy a sprint phone. Either case, they won't activate a non-sprint phone.

Thank you for contacting Sprint.

Due to technological differences, only the phones with a Sprint logo can
    be activated on the Sprint network. Therefore, it is not possible for us
    to activate the verizon phone. To use the Sprint services, you will need
    a Sprint phone.

Sprint offers a wide variety of phones to suit the varied needs of our
    customers. You can check for the available phones by visiting our
    website at: www.sprint.com

You can also buy a ?Sprint? phone from another third party vendor, and
    call us at 1-888-211-4727 to activate the phone.

Thank you for contacting Sprint. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
    Jerry M.
    Sprint
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

it could be due to the differences in the data setup, and that they want you to buy a phone...
  4. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Exactly what I'm thinking. I asked them specifically if I can manually input settings or if they can update OTA. From reading their email, they just danced around the question and gave me a PC answer.
  5. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

FYI it can't be done do to the way sprint has there data authentication done. From my understanding all data settings are written into the actual flash/firmware. I know on dumbphones if you do get them to active it the only thing that will work is calls/txt msgs. And yea they are way picky as to not letting you active a phone that is not Sprint branded or bought from them.
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Once upon a a time igotaq (remember him?) tried to get his sprint Q9c activated on VZW and they wouldn't do it either
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Yes I remember him. I guess I have no choice but to go with VZW then. Thanks for the input to both of you. :smile:
  8. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

All good.

Curious how if the weather in SanJose? Got family that lives out that way and they said not enough rain this year yet.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well from the reservoir's point of view, it's not enough rain. But from my point of view, I am relieved to see some sun in the last few days. It's been raining for weeks now. Local news reports that we need it to rain non stop for 6 more weeks for california to be lifted from it's drought status.
  10. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

I hear that as I'm a sun fan myself. Pretty much same thing I've heard from them also tho.
  11. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Remember, Verizon and Alltel have the Friends & Family / My Circle. So you probably won't pay any extra than getting a higher minute plan on Sprint. The coverage is so much better on the 800Mhz band than the 1900Mhz that Sprint uses. Don't settle for Sprint's coverage, it's not that much better than at&t.

With My Circle, i went from using 2500 minutes to about 400

If you want to activate it on Sprint, I can walk you through it. I just got the 1X data working on Alltel last week, had it on voice for 2 months. Loading the PRL for Sprint will probably have to be done from a pc.
  12. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

I just want to confirm that it will never work to put a Nap on Sprint for one very important reason. Sprint does not allow ANY foreign devices on their network and do not add ESN/MEIDs to their data base upon request as VZW has shown at least some willingness to do. Beyond that their data authentication is complicated by the use of 2 MIP profiles by default and including a unique SPC as part of their authentication protocols. Even the Sprint technicians themselves were unable to fix a Sprint phone that doctorq2u had flashed to VZW firmware and then back to Sprint without backing up the service programming and authentication components first.

So...I would definitely look at VZW if you want to switch carriers, but given the problems that have recently developed for VZW users activating Napoleons you should be very certain of your ability to bring the Nap with you if you do switch. The Nap is thoroughly designed to be on VZW though and operating at it's fullest potential on their network.
  13. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I found this to be true when I contacted sprint about it. They were very unwlling to activate a non sprint phone.
  14. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

From the latest "reports" Verizon is not willing to activate a non-Verizon phone too.
    Makes since in a way. Although they probably don't make much money, or even lose, on a phone sale they have to worry about what the phone may do to the network.

Verizon will be the best chance to get it activated and working.
    I love my Sprint though.
  15. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That is not true VZW will activate non-VZW phones but it is a task to get it done and it will not happen right over the phone. They do have a Open access policy so it is possible that I know for a fact as I just had a long conversation yesterday with a buddies X who works for VZW.
  16. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn New Member

You try activating your Sprint Touch Pro on Verizon recently?
    Cause those who have tried, even though they had been, got a "uh... NO!".
  17. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

That I have not seeing as I don't have one needless to say. You just have to get the right person is all. I've been told the same thing in the past, call back get someone else and they will do it. It is not a simple task tho t osay the least becasue half of the CS people don't have a clue as to what to even do. Heck in the GPS hack thread they just got a Sprint q9c activated on VZW no problem. I've personally gotten Telus & USCC devices on, even direct Moto test devices from when my uncle worked for Moto. Bottom line it's all about who you talk to really.
  18. doctorq2u

doctorq2u New Member

Check this post #1221

I think Sprint tells people a rehearsed answer when asked if they can activate a Verizon phone.
    Because ordinarily it’s true, they can’t.
    But if the phone has been rebuilt to Sprint’s spec. they probably can activate it.
    They don’t expect the customers to have the knowledge to reprogram the phone.
    I talked to Sprint about it and they said they would try to add the Verizon Q9c's ESN into there data base.
    I propose a test that we reprogram the Verizon Q9c to Sprint spec. And ask them to enter the ESN into the data base.
    I would not tell them that it’s a Nap.
    Tell them that it’s a Verizon Q9c that has been rebuilt to Sprint spec.
    Like Bill did on Verizon.
    We need cellzealot to give us a guide as to how he reprogrammed the Q9c for the Sprint network. It’s not easy.
    We might be able to use that knowledge to reprogram the Q9n for Sprint.
  19. CellZealot

CellZealot New Member

nope...cant happen...like I said above. What I did was to make their own firmware work on each network...not a different firmware on Sprint.
  20. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

If there is a Sprint q9c Monster flash file all you should need to do is reflash it with that and all the stock Sprint settings should be set correctly to try activating it on there network as long as the ESN/MEID can get put into there system. And flashing it is a really easy process to begin with unless there are specific thnigs other then just the flash.

I have a Brand new VZW q9c sitting in a box that has never even been activated that could be tested. However I'm sitting on it for testing once the guys get an idea/guide of what may need to be done to get gps unlocked for use on VZW seeing as this is a true virgin VZW q9c that has not been flashed yet. I know they have a q9m upgraded to a q9c for testing. And being this is a virgin device never activated I told them I would keep it that way until some tests are needed.