Anyone ever replace a lens on q9c?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by magicman08, Mar 12, 2008.

1. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

Anyone ever replace a lens on q9c?

Looks like there is a lens and call end buttons housing from the q9m on a website and on other forums other people said to have ordered them, but hear nothing more from them.

Motorola Q9m OEM lens w/ keypad

Anyone ever replaced the lens on their q9c? I got a mystery hairline scratch today and it drove me crazy....tried all kinds of crap to get it out and got it so it barely shows....but I want a replacement one....

there is this, but this site seems shady....but it is very tempting, but I don't know, from like canada and hong kong or something, only site I know that carrys it tho....looked everywhere...
    Motorola Q9m OEM faceplate w/ keypad (Sprint)

What do you all think or know?
  2. gazment

gazment New Member

Mine is still in the shipment process, but i'll let you all know how the install went. I've read reviews from someone on here, and its supposedly simple to replace.

I too would like to know what the replacement entailed specifically.
  3. Echoes&Madness

Echoes&Madness New Member

I replaced my lens about a month ago. I ordered it from the cnn.cn website. I appologize but I forgot to post my results...

The process was actually pretty simple. I used an X-Acto knife and inserted it between the keypad and the end call button to begin to get leverage. I then worked my way up the right side of the lens, across the top, and then down the left side. I must say I got a little nervous when the lens cracked all the way accross the softkey pad!!!!! I then realized that indeed there ARE two layers and the softkey pad does separate from this thin bottom layer. (I realize that this is hard to describe and I have no photos). I guess is what I am trying to say is that I read a reply to a previous message that I left and someone doubted that there were two layers at the softkey pad.. Trust me, there are!!! Lens replacement is possible if you just have a little patience. Now, for the results... I did scratch the come plate around the right side of the lens but it isn't that noticeable. I would much rather have a scratched chrome piece than a scratched lens!

Now, one thing I didn't do, that I wish I would have.... I wish I would have gotten a can of compressed air and started blowing it across the screen before I layed the replacement lens in place. I did manage to get quite a bit of dust behind the lens and this is now driving me nuts. I have ordered a replacement lens (two actually) and will attempt the process again (of course, I will try lifting the lens up and blowing the dust out first). Another thing I would do is clean the existing glue before putting the new lens down... I had a few areas where the old adhesive was poking out from the lens, especially around the Motorola logo at the top... And FYI.... The red areas of the lens actually illuminate purple because of the blue LEDS...

Now, if that faceplate on that GSM4 website is real (weird that it says Q9M and yet has a Sprint logo in the picture... but even the InvisibleShield website had the wrong picture of the Q9C for a while... so it could be just a misslable), I would love to try this out (if it comes with instructions, because I do not see how to get this thing apart)!!!!

Sorry for all the rambling... I hope this all makes sense...

New info, if you go to the website referred to above (http://www.gsm4world.us/shop/motorola-faceplate-keypad-sprint-p-1358.html), and enlarge the picture, you can see the thin rubber/plastic layer above where the softkey pad is... This is the layer that I am talking about that separates from the rest of the softkey pad (that holds the navigation pad, etc.)

Anyone have any ideas on how to separate the faceplate of the Q9c from the rest of the phone? I would love to buy at faceplate to have on hand until my chrome piece gets really scratched!!! If you look at the top of the phone, between the chrome piece and the camera, it looks like a little hook or something.. I wonder if you can depress this to release the faceplate???
  4. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

Very good observaton....it would make sense that it would be easier to remove for service and the like,and I am sure to refurb em they replace the faceplate....but I find it weird that I can only find it one one spanish site and the one I posted earlier....

5. dmm5157

dmm5157 New Member

Echoes, thanks for the input and help. I agree that the picture on the GSM4 website is a W9C for 2 reasons: 1) The sprint Logo and 2) the blue around the center buttons. On the Q9M, it's red.

I'd love to get a replacement for the entire chromed part, but the lense will work for now.

You mentioned you got your lense replacement from CNN.CN, correct? Did you get the Q9M lense, as they don't have the Q9C on their website yet. I ask mainly because it looks like the trim around the button is red rather than blue. Is that true? Or is that red part just part of the phone? I ask because I don't want any red. I want it to stay blue like the original one is.

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to hearing more.
  6. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

I think he mentioned to me it is indeed red, and when the blue leds light it up it looks purple....fyi

7. Echoes&Madness

That is correct. The rubber is a dark red color; however, when the keypad is lit, it shows up purple because of the blue LEDs behind it... I have a dark red theme so it actually looks pretty good; however, if I had the option to buy the clear one (so it shows up blue) or the red one, I would say that I would purchase the OEM clear one.... I don't understand why no one offers the Q9c version for sale...
  8. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

YET, but this phone has been out for at least 6 months now....I have looked all over and the only thing I can find is that faceplate and its on two sites, but one site is spanish and it looks like the exact same site under a dif name

9. bdogg

bdogg New Member

To release the Whole face plate there are screws on the back of the phone. if you remove the battery cover you will notice the screws on the edges and they look like hex screws of something. If you notice on the pic of the GSM4 site you notice the holes of the screws align witht the ones on the back.
  10. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 New Member

This looks pretty simple; have your tried taking the faceplate off? There are 2 additional gold metal posts on the top of the faceplate; I believe these posts just snap in to the phone without screws.

On a side not, I got the Sprint Service Center in Irvine, CA to clean up the dust in my phone for free. It just took them 30 minutes to do it.
  11. Echoes&Madness

Wow! I never even paid attention to that before!!! Any idea on what size Torx bit that is?
  12. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

promising....i wonder why they aren't selling these faceplates yet.....is it a motorola thing?
  13. Echoes&Madness

Actually, they are screws. To access them, you remove the plastic cover. To do this, remove the battery cover. To the right of the button you press to release the battery, you will notice a little indentation. You can fit a small flathead screwdriver in here and use it to pry this cover off. You can also access the cover from various corners around the phone. Be careful and take your time. I started from the botton and would recommend you do the same...

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the piece to the left of the battery cover release button (where there is a section of plastic missing) is the "latch" for the battery cover...
  14. madmax2k1

madmax2k1 New Member

Once you remove all the screws, does the faceplate come off easily, or do you need to pry it off? Are there any cable connections between the keyboard and the phone?

Thanks for your help.
  15. Echoes&Madness

I have not removed the faceplate yet, so I don't know. I just removed the top cover to access the screws. I need to obtain the appropriate size torx bit first.
  16. web1b

web1b New Member

Has anyone replaced the entire faceplate on the q9c yet?

I'm trying to decide whether I should risk more damage trying to fix the scratched screen cover by ordering the faceplate online for $24 plus tools and shipping and shipping trying to replace it myself or just pay Motorola $75 plus shipping to repair it and another $75 on eBay buy a cheap phone to use while it gets repaired.
  17. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

logically i would simply try the $24 way first....

18. web1b

web1b New Member

I went ahead and ordered the $24 faceplate because I found a local independent wireless phone store that said they would install it for me for $25. I should get it in the mail in time for them to install it next weekend.
  19. samuraki

samuraki New Member

20. magicman08

magicman08 New Member

but does this still answer the problem about if the screen is scratched to crap and stuff....its not so much the taking about anymore, I do appreciate the link....btw....but whether the faceplate is available....some dude said he was gunna order one but he hasn't been back since the 5th and has two posts