Anyone else having these two problems? Please Look.

Discussion in 'Samsung Focus' started by Cerif27, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Cerif27

Cerif27 New Member

I have the Samsung focus, and I've been loving it for the most part since launch. I have two problems that are growing more and more annoying with each occurrence and I need to know if there's something wrong with the hardware, me or it's just a bug in the OS that will presumably be fixed with patience. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Problem One
    About once every other day I completely lose the microphone. I'm usually too annoyed to test if it's gone in all programs but I know for a fact it is useless in shazam and voice lookup. I press the voice look up and I get the little audio readout next to the "go" button and it reads flat. No matter how loud I yell, nothing. I have to restart the phone to get it back.​

Anyone else experiencing this? Input?​

Problem Two
    I typed pretty fast on my iPhone I switched from and I'm aware that this phone can do multi-touch while typing. However regularly, and I mean every message I type, my keyboard leaves several presses completely unregistered. I'm not talking missing the keyboard or the wrong letter, I'm talking doesn't even light up a single key. Usually multiple in a row. I have also occasionally witnessed the keyboard light up and nothing produced from it. Side note: I have a $34 dollar ZAGG screen that I have no desire to remove until I'm SURE it will fix the problem. Also, I have extremely dry hands. I don't actually think these two things are related to the problem as the screen seems perfectly responsive in other situations, but I needed to mention them in an effort of full disclosure.​

Anyone else experiencing this? Input?​

Basically I'm just trying to find out if I need to take my unit back to the store, be out the restocking fee, reload everything, etc etc, or if this is something others are experiencing and feel confident that a fix will come with the first patch. Thanks.

Tommy
  2. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

It sounds like you're having some hardware issues to me, are you sure they will charge you a restocking fee? My wife's phone got a scratch down the screen of hers (no idea how it happened, she totally baby'd it), so we took it back to the store where we got it, and they exchanged it for free with no restocking fee.
  3. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I did have the problem with the mic once. It has only happened to me once, but I think it is a bug. I have not had the typing issue, but it sounds like a bug of sorts to me.
  4. Despair

Despair New Member

I have a Zagg screen and do not have the typing problem you are encountering if that helps..
  5. jontyrees

jontyrees New Member

I hate my Zagg screen! I'm leaving it on while I monitor some friends of mine's Focus screens. If they aren't experiencing scratches/scuffs, that orange peel POS is coming off! The cheap $1 screens on ebay are WAY better looking than the Zagg, and are 1/30th of the cost. I already took off the nasty matte finish back piece of Zagg.
  6. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I'm still real happy with this Samsung Focus screen protector. It was cheap to boot.:)
  7. termleech

termleech Member

The Samsung has the gorilla glass so why bother with a screen protector at all? I can personally say (by doing it on accident) that putting the phone in a pocket with your keys and walking for a lot time didn't even leave a scratch on my phone screen.
  8. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

When plugging in a headset, the phone's mic is disabled and unplugging it will reenable it. But I've read the mic issue stems from using a different headset from that supplied with the phone. Apparently, plugging/unplugging the Samsung OEM headset resets the mic.
  9. bnk999

bnk999 New Member

Ihave had the mic problem several times. The only way I have been able to resolve it is by a reboot. It happens without me ever using any headset on the phone.
  10. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Member

My wife's focus somehow got scratched the first week she had it, no idea how, she pretty much babied it, put it into it's own pocket in her purse etc. Luckily ATT exchanged it no questions asked, but we still have no idea how it happened. It's POSSIBLE that it was already scratched when she got it, and she just didn't notice it, but I don't know.

So Gorilla Glass IS still scratch-able. That said, I have no plans on putting a screen protector on mine.
  11. Cerif27

Cerif27 New Member

Ok, the official Microsoft monitored tech forums know about the Mic issue. Hopefully they actually will do something about it. The typing issue is INSANELY distracting but I'm going to deal with it until I can either get it caught in the act and recorded or I just can't take it anymore. Never had this problem with my Zagg screen on my iphone, but then again the one I had for it was a "wet" one and the only one I can find for the Focus is a "dry" one. If this is the price I'm paying for easy application, it's just not worth it. We'll see what happens.
  12. TheMBC

TheMBC New Member

Yes I have a keyboard issue, too! I don't have a screen protector on because I think they look uglier than actual scratches on the screen (besides, the glass hasn't scratched once yet which I think is amazing!)

Just now I texted "Prove me wrong." But on the first try, I typed the 'M' in 'me' and the key lit up showing it registered but it didn't type it out, so instead I got this: "Prove. E wrong." I had to erase and do it again. It's getting quite frustrating.
  13. Cerif27

Cerif27 New Member

Ya HA! I'm NOT crazy! Now if someone could just get it on video and link it here so we can get this off to MS before the new patch goes gold or, more importantly, get them to confirm if it's software or hardware. Won't be able to try for videos till next week.

This is seriously driving me nuts some days, and I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one.
  14. TheMBC

TheMBC New Member

No, sir. You are not alone. I wonder if someone CAN get it on video, as for me, however, I think I'm making the switch back. I won't be waiting until I'm ineligible for a phone upgrade.
  15. Fleon

Fleon New Member

Problem One:
    Yes, I have had the mic problem. There's a stupid fix that has worked for me until they patch it: plug in headphones then unplug them. Has fixed it every time without a reboot. Would like to see a fix sooner than later from MS.

Problem Two:
    Nope, never had that issue. I don't have a screen protector, however. Haven't had any scratches or anything yet.