Any regrets?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone 7' started by Snuff71, Nov 17, 2010.

1. termleech

termleech Member

Haha, my wife had the iPhone 3G and now my old 3GS and yesterday when I was setting some stuff up on the phone for her I did the same thing. I tried to hit the back button and I was like woah, I'm a WP7 user now and I've only had the phone for a couple weeks :)
  2. Con Chuot

Con Chuot New Member

No regret at all. I am happy to switch from Android OS. Used to have Samsung Captivate. Android app free up most of the time.
    Hope that MS team can release update for Custom ringtone soon. I think give it a couple months we will see some cool apps coming out
    Cheers
    kell329 likes this.
  3. NaplesBill

NaplesBill Member

I have owned 3 iPhones, 5 Android phones and 3 Windows Mobile phones. I still have an Android phone for work (Samsung Fascinate). I honestly think that WP7 is the first smartphone that will actually compete with the iPhone on ALL major levels. What I mean by this is it has a unified syncing system (Zune vs iTunes) and it has a very fluid and uniform UI. I do like Android, but is has many annoyances that mostly relate to the non-uniform elements between apps, and the disparity between widgets. Also, syncing on an Android handset leaves much to be desired for most users.

Oddly, I even prefer the way Microsoft creates a single file system when you add SD storage. This is far more efficient and easier to use than what happens on Android. It is comical to hear all the hoopla over random resets and the phone powering off randomly, when using some SD cards. These same issues happen to Android with low performance SD cards.

Even though I do like a lot of what the iPhone has to offer, hence owning three of them, the nature of Apple's business model is enough to keep me away from any of their products. They have complete control, from beginning to end, of your device and your wallet. Yes, you can jailbreak, but that is not without it's own issues. This reminds me of Comcast, and I don't use Comcast either.

So far, I have zero regrets with my move to WP7. I really was not expecting to like it at all. I absolutely think this platform has the most to offer in the long run.
  4. kareljack

kareljack Active Member

I am not a fan of the plastic battery cover on the Focus. Sometimes my Palms sweat and holding the phone gets to be tricky.
    Minor issue though, just hope I can find a good case soon.
  5. chunli

chunli New Member

after having an iphone from day 1 of the 1st gen release, i finally switched to the samsung focus. its refreshing to have a totally different and new phone and while i do have very high hopes, it just doesn't compare to the iphone 4, not yet at least. the focus has been out for what, 3 weeks? and there is still no instant messaging app that supports the most common aim and gtalk. not to mention the battery and camera aren't as good. i just wish they really had everything ready before releasing the phones. after all, they're competing against the advanced iphones and other smart phones out there. you kind of need to bring out something thats on par if not better. since i can't talk business with the wp7, i actually still carry my iphone 4 around to use with wifi when i'm out.
  6. Renverse

Renverse New Member

I just got my Omnia 7 this week, and coming from an iPhone 4, I haven't regretted making this decision yet. I do miss some apps, though. WhatsApp comes to mind. I miss free messaging, but I'll live.

A funny thing to note is that: I order an Omnia 7 on Expansys, where it listed that it has 8 GB of memory, but my Omnia 7 has 16 GB! I couldn't be more happy.
  7. johndandison

johndandison New Member

The only thing I miss are facebook notifications. If I can get push notifications for facebook & twitter, I'll be happy. Other than that, this beats my old iPhone and BlackBerry hands down. No regrets.
  8. chris

chris Administrator Staff Member

I think Beezz (Twitter app) is going to get live tile updates. The app is a bit slow for me, but looks promising.
  9. kell329

kell329 New Member

My only regret is the ringtone issue (or lack there of) I love love love my music so I had tons on my Soltice. Really sad when I had to pick from the very few ringer choices :-( but I hope they will get it up soon so we can upgrade software and have them. I have noticed this on many sites as well people wanting ringtones. Other than that I am loving it!
  10. Brett Watters

Brett Watters New Member

I purchased an LG Quantum Optimus and it is like light and day compared to my old HTC Windows Mobile phone. I have no regrets on the phone itself or the OS (on the phone). It is quick, far easier to use, easily replaces my mp3 player, makes web browsing useful, and has a lot of apps which I was pleased to see -- GPS, YouTube, Shazam, etc. My only regret on the phone itself was the lack of a built-in to-do list application.

My big regret is the support software and setup needed for Windows Phone 7. It will not sync with my Outlook so it immediately seems less useful than my old phone. You need to setup Windows Live to import your contacts, you need to setup Zune just to install music, and you need to find ways around the fact your calendar appointments, notes, to-do lists, etc. In order to use my phone, I have to change the way I do things on my computer and it seems so unnecessary and in the end, less functional than my Windows Mobile phone. Yes, my phone does more, but things I used to be able to do are now either impossible or require significant and time consuming changes to setup.
  11. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

I'll find out if there are regrets soon enough. Thankfully there really can't be.

My Samsung Focus arrives today. If all goes as planned I'll be using it by end of the night. But you see I bought it slightly used off ebay and managed to get it at a price slightly lower then what they usually seem to be selling for. So if I decide I'm sticking with my iPhone (a likely outcome but I just can't resist testing the new stuff) then I can put it back on ebay and even after ebay and paypal fees break even.

I can already predict that my BIGGEST regret will be the lack of an Sirius XM app. That alone will probably make me sell it back.
  12. Despair

Despair New Member

I hear ya, I keep messaging DI to get their app done for WP7!
  13. Flaystus

Flaystus Member

DI?
  14. mem30075

mem30075 New Member

no regrets at all....very happy with my samsung focus..:cool: Like everyone else with a focus would like to see the SD card issue resolved for more expansion. Also, a seidio holster would be nice too, OS updates will come.
  15. ajayden

ajayden Member

Loving my HTC Trophy and loving WP7 on it.
    As for SD cards, i feel MS has done it right this time by keeping the SD cards as part of system storage. This will help in reducing software piracy on mobile devices.

Scenario : If the SD card was swappable, users will find ways to install hacked softwares. Therefore the need to have non-swappable storage. (Just my thoughts).
  16. joriginaloak

joriginaloak New Member

what a phone....i've had mine since day one in the UK and i have to say the bestphone i've ever had. I previously had the original omnia and i-phone (original) before that and HP PDA/Phone as well as the O2 XDA before that and I have to tell you, this HD7 blows them all out of the water. The phone not only does more or less everything the other phones did...but it does it beautifully. Elegance and function together are rare and WP7 has achieved just that. On top of that there is great gaming that will only get better and more function promised in the next coming few months. The app store has close to 5k apps and undoubtedly more will follow. I am thoroughly satisfied and look forward to future updates to improve on Microsoft's intitial herculean effort....very well done!.
  17. RobR

RobR Member

I've been using an iPhone 3GS for about a year as my work phone. I tested WP7 at the WinConnections conference in Vegas this past November and I wanted to trade my iPhone for the Focus. After WP7 launched I talked to my provider about upgrading my phone but I'm not eligible until June 2011 unless I want to buy the phone outright. Lucky for me my corporate office sent me an HTC HD7 for testing which I've now been using for about a month. People say that WP7 is not an enterprise phone and although I agree it's better than my iPhone in that regard. Where WP7 absolutley kills the iPhone is the keyboard because it does a much better job at auto correcting or word suggestions as you type. Although Microsoft wasn't able to include some features that many whine about I find WP7 to be a great first release.

My only complaint is that when my phone goes to sleep it does not re-connect to my home wireless automatically upon waking up, it just sits there "connecting". I always have to go to my WiFi settings disable and re-enable the wireless then it connects. This only happens when it's running on battery, if it's plugged in and goes to sleep it wakes up already connected. I don't hold this against WP7 because I think it's a hardware issue.

I'm looking forward to June 2011 so that I can dump my iPhone once and for all, maybe by then some new handsets will be available too.
  18. termleech

termleech Member

That sounds like a problem with your phone. I'd exchange the phone for a replacement. When my phone wakes up on battery it connects to my wifi without any issues whatsoever. It takes it a second or so but it connects back pretty quickly.
  19. RobR

RobR Member

The weirdest thing happened yesterday afternoon, my phone suddenly started to auto connect to my WiFi, very strange since I haven't made any changes. Actually, now that I think of it I did make one change a couple of days ago on my router, I disabled Guest Access which is a sort of hotel type setup that I had running for when friends came over. Maybe the phone didn't like two networks on the same wireless signal.
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Regret? No way. I've been waiting for WP7 for over a year. Android was just something to keep me busy.