ANy Recommendations on a Good Laptop (PC)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stealth, Apr 10, 2007.

1. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

True, but by then Vista should be on its way. I installed the first XP beta, and never went back. Vista i tested from day one and i havent been able to stand it yet.
  2. MattB

MattB New Member

My D620 with Vista Ultimate will be here on Monday. I'll let you know how it is. I order a lot of systems for my agency, so I figured I might as well get vista for myself before I start handing out to all my users when they get new systems. My Dell rep told me that it isnt going to be much longer that I can get XP pro on any new system.
  3. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

I would imagine 6 months at the most before they cut off XP. But thats expected, no matter how buggy vista is its MS's new meal ticket and they will want to begin phasing out XP asap
  4. qnoob

qnoob New Member

I wonder how long the Vista upgrade will finally hit corporate america. Here at work, we only just recently did a mass upgrade to XP SP2 (it took us FOREVER to validate and test SP2 with all / most of the misc applications we have running across all our sites).

i think all our users will be on XP SP2 for at least couple years before even thinking of starting the long process of validating to Vista.
  5. Stealth

Stealth New Member

My Wife works for one of the Big 4 (Accounting Firms) The are susposed to go to Vista this winter.
  6. gmardre

gmardre New Member

Get an Apple.
  7. MattB

MattB New Member

My D620 actually showed up today, a few days early. I've been playing with it for a couple hours now just trying to get used to Vista. I love the machine itself. The widescreen is great. It puts my D410 to shame.
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

We call them Macs :wink:
  9. My-Q

My-Q New Member

I would suggest a Toshiba for a notebook. My wife and I have one apiece. They have been really good. Mine rattles around in my big green 5 ton truck and works like a charm when I need it to. Unlike HP, our Toshiba's didn't seem to have as much junk on it.

I will say one thing...those big honking wide screen notebooks do get heavy.
  10. SimpleBinary

SimpleBinary New Member

I really can't see them cutting off XP within a year let-alone 6 month....
  11. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

If you wanted to forego buying a car and get a laptop instead, go with the best of the best, get an Alienware laptop. You can customize on their site and it will cost you around $13000 for the best one with everything:laugh2:
  12. My-Q

My-Q New Member

Which do you need the most at the moment? That should answer your question.

Otherwise, I would not pay more than $2,000 on computer of any kind. On average, a computer is used for about 3 years before it is replaced. Some folks go through a new computer every year. I'm running on every 18 months.

With all due respect, paying $13,000 for a computer is (I can't say it here) ridiculous, especially on a notebook. But, hey...it's your money. Btw, since you've got it to throw a way, send some my way.
  13. Stealth

Stealth New Member

$13,000? are you serious. I don't plan to spend more than $1,100
  14. gmplr831

gmplr831 New Member

Finally someone agrees with me and the rest of the tech community! I think vista is horrid, and we really need to say something to microsoft. They really screwed up.
  15. My-Q

My-Q New Member

"And all of God's people said, "DUH!"

But, it's not just Vista it is all of Microsoft's products and a good deal off all software made for mass market. You have to remember, its for the mass market and that is full of people who freak if you unplug a computer from the wall and they can't figure out why it won't come on. That is the way of it.
  16. My-Q

My-Q New Member

Microsoft owns a distribution of Linux, but it can never own Linux unless Torvald sells the kernel to Bill Gates and I don't see that happening. But, before you make the total conversion to Linux, you better get your geek on! After a year of using Linux, I still can't get my network printers to work. LOL!
  17. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Funny - I know people like that :laugh2:
  18. FourTwenSesh

Agree and disagree with you here. I agree with the tech side of your gripes, you just can't idiot proof an operating system, and I used to be a tech support agent for an ISP here in Calgary. Disagree on the other hand, because i'm a shareholder of Microsoft which allows me to negate any rage I feel for "computer illiterates" that Microsoft is attempting to cater to. :wink: Record profits for them in Q1 2007, I have many an idiot to thank!
  19. My-Q

My-Q New Member

It's all about da money!
  20. FourTwenSesh

Yes, if you can't beat 'em, join em!