ANy Recommendations on a Good Laptop (PC)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stealth, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Stealth

Stealth New Member

ANy Recommendations on a Good Laptop (PC)

Does anybody have any?
  2. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Yes. Anything HP with an AMD in it.
  3. qnoob

qnoob New Member

You looking for Windows or Mac?
  4. MattB

MattB New Member

I do a ton of business with Dell, and if you want to spend the money you can get a really good laptop. I actually just put through a $15,000 order for 17 Latitude D520's. The Latitude line is a great Buisness line of notebooks. I am actually waiting for my D620 to get here. Right now I have a D410 which weighs 3.5 pounds. I love it, but I am upgrading for the wide screen and Dual Core processor.

What do you want one for? Are you going to carry it around a lot? I used to have an Inspiron that weighed about 9 pounds and it gets real heavy carrying it around all day.
  5. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Dell is a great company imo, for desktops. But you can get more for less with just as much support and warrantyfrom other companies. Mainly HP. I've bought, used, ordered etc close to 40 laptops from HP and maybe 15-20 from Dell and i will never buy a dell for mself over an HP.
  6. MattB

MattB New Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I feel the same about HP. Most of the HP's are built for home users and are pretty big and heavy. If you really have the money to burn, IBM makes great laptops but they are pretty expensive.
  7. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Yea its just like intel vs amd. everyone has a preference or unique experiences :)
  8. qnoob

qnoob New Member

if you're as leery as me about jumping on the vista bandwagon (at least for the next year or so before the first major service pack), now would be a GREAT TIME to try out Mac OS X.

And with Apple Boot Camp, you can still have Windows (even Vista) running as a fall back.

On the Windows front, Dells are solid (I really like their phone support compared to others). I'm also a big fan of IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPads. Been running the ThinkPads are work and we have some very idiotic users and they hold up great. And don't forget to defrag, defrag, defrag (99% of Windows users who say their PC runs too slow have NEVER done something as simple as defragging the HD. It's not a cure-all, but a little dab will do ya).
  9. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Here is Vista's problem: We are gearing too much towards the stupid. At some point you have to let the idiots trash their pc's by being retarded and let them pay tech support to fix it.

You punish the generations and users who arent computer retarded (ooohhhhh let me click the popups and type in my credit card!!! can i delete the windows folder??? ohhh fred sent me and email attachment....etc) by trying so hard to tailer to the others.

Vista is over simplified, bulky, and geared too much towards anti piracy. When i upgrade from XP it will be to go linux full time. Of course MS owns that now too (not all of it, obviously, but it has begun), so life is getting good. Linux will never be gribbed by MS totally due to developers and the open source of it all, but its only a matter of time till it gets ugly. Heck they make money off mac now lol. The mac insults pc commercials are paid for by MS even.
  10. BoodaLuvr

BoodaLuvr New Member

I feel the same way as you. Thats why I am a Helpdesk/IT for my company and I do side jobs for the people. The money great but the hours are not so great. Like a freakin roller coaster.
  11. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

I have a Dell Inspr.1150 and a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4064. I have had the Dell for at least 3yrs and the Toshiba for 8months. Both have performed great. The only disavatage to the Dell is when I have redo the harddrive because of viruses or other issues, I have to reinstalled from like 4 disk. The rebuild software for my Toshiba is a RAM Disk image. I can reinstall in 30 to 40min depending on the issue. I am giving the Dell to my son and buying another Toshiba this summer. Check it out:
    http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/toshibadirect.to?page=ces06_hddvd

Been looking at this HO in Bestbuy too:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/IQ770_series/rts/4/computer_store/RN635AA%2523ABA

I will have to say that I jumped on the Vista bandwagon knowing full well after using Beta versin that it would suck, however I got it for free from a co-worker as a B-day gift. It definately needs a service pack. If you get a laptop with a DVD RAM drive ike mine, Vista will only recognize it as a DVDRDL drive, but it wont let you burn Dual Layer DVD's. :angry: :angry: :angry: And NERO work horribly in Vista. They say they got it figured out, but I got issues with Nero everyday.
  12. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Thanks everyone. I have been actually looking the at Dell D620. It will be for personal use. Right now we have an older HP and it weighs like 50lbs (slight lie) but I want to try something different. I also used to have an IBM think pad (Now lenovo?) but the would be a little more than I want to spend right now. For the Dell I was thinking about the Core 2 duo processor but haven't really researched an AMD's I mainly use it for web browsing music and movies. ANyway thanks for your input.
  13. Stealth

Stealth New Member

I was thinking about doing Vista Business Edditon.... but now I am wondering.......
  14. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

The burning issue is my only problem with Vista other than the best video codecs for viewing movies being installed. Vista hates DivX, but there are allot of DivX alternatives out there. Office 2007 is great! Hopefully Microsoft will relase this serive pack by the end of this year, but I doubt it.
  15. scubasteve

scubasteve New Member

Format, install XP. Enjoy :)
  16. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

Yes, the Vista burning issue sucks, but it comes stock with Windows, so you can't really expect it to run 100% ever. lol. Get K-Lite Codec pack and Vista will never have issues with DivX again, trust me. If you decide to go with Nero for burning, you will start to get a COM surrogate error, find the fix via Google.
  17. qnoob

qnoob New Member

well, if u go the Windows route, eventually upgrading to VISTA is inevitable since XP will soon be dropped totally (support-wise) in 2008. Most people had their misgivings when XP first came out so once the 1st Vista service pack, everyone will be gushy how Vista is so awesome and make fun of you for still running XP.

the software people STILL have to come out with Vista-versions of their software / drivers. everything now is geared toward XP and it'll take everyone a bit to roll out drivers / software optimized / that'll take advantage of Vista.
  18. shaun0207

shaun0207 New Member

Thanks. I did my homework a month before I got Vista witht beat version. So I had all of the updates to fix the problems. If you download the new version of NERO, its Vista compatable. No more COM surrogate errors. Also if you use ConvertXtoDVD, you should be able to more with more stablity.
  19. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Yeah - I just heard or read that yesterday.
  20. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

i am really liking the Sony Vaio i have, it's the VGN-S150... it's not the real small one (my boss has that one) and it's not a huge one, it does what i want it to. must add i don't play games or run apps that requires mega fast video cards and all the stuff.

when i worked for a previous company i had a Mac PowerBook and loved it.. but this job "gave" me the Sony so (still have some Apple II's at my house :}