Any Q compatible GPS Software besides CoPilot Live Q Edition?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Fountainhead, Jul 23, 2007.

1. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

Copilot costs the same or more per year to use as Telenav period. Telenav comes with free application updates too.

Not sure if you are in denial paying the 100 bucks upfront, but you will pay copilot again for the next update. You also don't get to find out the cheapest gas prices along your route, do you? I noticed you avoided that topic. ;-) That feature alone PAYS for the software!
  2. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I do believe the OP was looking for a non-data solution. I use WLS and "mine is cheaper than yours Na Na Naa Na". All solutions work for a particular set of people. I don't travel often or far enough to save on gas the cost of the software. Some do and might want your suggestion and some may not have a data plan and like Steve's suggestion.

All I heard Steve say was that you can pay less with the Presidents club whatever that is and might have been wrong about getting software updates on Telenav. I'm not in denial either. as I realize Telenav and CoPilot are better packages, but WLS is the perfect solution for my circumstance and maybe even a couple other Q'ers.
  3. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Costs

That's simply not true (at least for me). Telenav is $10 per month for unlimited trips on Verizon, with no per-day or per-trip options. That's $120 per year, much more than I pay for CoPilot Live updates (and even more than the $100 you claimed updates would cost).

I say "for me", because I've been using CoPilot since late 2001/early 2002, so the up-front costs were paid years ago.

For somebody with a data plan and who hasn't bought a GPS system already, Telenav may well be more economical.

I'm not sure why you felt insults were necessary when I was just pointing out cheaper ways to get CoPilot maps. They may not be for everybody, but it doesn't mean that I'm in denial. Or do you just assume that everybody else's situation is identical to yours?

Also, the cheapest gas may or may not save as much as you claim. To literally pay for the software (at $10 per month), even if the feature saved you $0.10 per gallon every fill-up, you'd have to buy 100 gallons per month. You'd either need a long commute or drive a major gas guzzler to do that.

Of course, for most of my commuting, I already have a pretty good idea which stations are the cheapest, so I doubt I'd save $0.10 per fill-up, and the feature would be even less useful to me. For traveling in an unfamiliar place, though, that would be nice, but I don't do that much.

Finally, the Q isn't listed as a supported device on Verizon (although it is on Sprint), so it may be moot for me anyway.

Steve
  4. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

I'm not sure where you are from, but the roads here have changed a lot since 2002.
  5. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Upgrade Costs

I'll try to say this more simply for you. The $120 per year for Telenav is more than the amount that I pay each year for CoPilot upgrades.

I bought CoPilot in 2001/2002, so the initial cost of the system was paid long ago, so all I worry about now is upgrade costs.

To be fair, I may have to buy a new GPS receiver occasionally if one goes bad or I want to upgrade to SiRF III or whatever. However, because I use my Pocket PC for GPS, not my phone, I can also loan that to my wife when she's traveling (which I've done) and not be without my phone, which is worth the cost of the occasional new GPS receiver. (Obviously, this advantage probably doesn't apply to somebody using their Q for GPS.)

I don't know why you seem to pushing Telenav so hard. It sounds like a great system (similar to VZ Navigator), but it's not for everybody. For example, if somebody doesn't have a data plan (which is apparently a fair number of Q users), paying for Telenav and a data plan would likely cost a lot more than a dedicated GPS navigation program.

Mentioning Telenav was great; criticizing others who use a different system is not. What works for you may not work for others. Why is that so difficult to grasp?

Steve
  6. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

7. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

you realize you are moderator trolling? That is when you were not really insulted, yet you cry loudly like you were to get the mods attention.

An insult is calling someone fat, stupid etc.

Pointing out that Telenav is 99.00/year and that co-pilot charges 99.00 or more for a software update with new maps is not an insult.
  8. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

More CoPilot

Which is still about the same as you said CoPilot charges (and more than I pay).

Have you used CoPilot? Have you used any other GPS system? What blows them away?

Again, you're assuming that everyone is like you.

First, not everybody is on Sprint; I'm on Verizon and the unlimited data plan alone is $45.

Second, regarding being a "good consumer", no data plan (and no data usage) is still cheaper than $45. There are people who apparently get the Q because they like the form factor but don't want (or can't afford) a data plan. Does that mean they shouldn't use GPS?

As great and wonderful as you are, not everybody has seen the light and tried to become you yet. :laugh2:

Steve
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Get Over It

That was "loudly"? You didn't even reply to it the first time you replied to that post.

What if they are fat?

However, I view saying somebody is in denial is insulting them (especially when they aren't). You may disagree, but everybody is not like you. (Do you see a theme here?)

I don't recall anybody saying it was. Pointing out that CoPilot upgrades don't (necessarily) cost $99 per year wasn't an insult, either, but you went off on that simple post.

Anyway, there's no reason to discuss whether somebody was insulted or not here. I put it as an aside in a post dealing with the real issue -- GPS. Instead of posting solely about an off-topic issue, you should have PMed me. If you want to debate the point, PM me and I'll be happy to go back and forth all day.

Steve
  10. jmiles

jmiles New Member

Q GPS or Standalone?

Aside from all of the fussing about insults and who's the better consumer, I would like to introduce a new question to this thread.

I am a new Q user who is interested in GPS Apps. However, after looking at the extra hardware and software costs, I wonder why not just purchase a standalone GPS and save my battery life for phone and e-mail.

Can any users share why they see the GPS add ons for the Q being that much better?

J
  11. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

One phrase.. Smash and grab. The phone goes with you when you exit the car.

By the way, nobody has been insulted. If someone said you are FAT, that is an insult. Disagreeing with someone and debating your point on a "DISCUSSION FORUM" is not insulting. If you are insulted because someone has an opinion other than yours, I'd say that is pretty arrogant.
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Stand-Alone GPS System

Besides that, you can also use your Q while walking around. If you're walking in an unfamiliar city and want something to eat, you can do that without having to take your in-car system with you.

Give it up. Saying things like "Co pilot is for lamers with no data package" is not "discussion", it's insulting. Telling people they're in denial over their choices is insulting. You're not discussing the products in question, you're talking about the people, and that crosses the line.

Claiming you haven't insulted people is arrogant -- and a lie.

Anyway, this isn't the right place to discuss this. If you disagree with me, please PM me and we can discuss it at length. Spare subscribers a useless notification.

Steve
  13. jmiles

jmiles New Member

14. garment69

garment69 New Member

Your sure about there being a smartphone version on the install CD? No smartphones are listed as compatible on Tomtom's web site.
  15. troutseth

troutseth Guest

I am interested as well. Does WLS or Google maps do much with map and bike trails? I use WLS but have only used it in the city.

As for battery life this may be an issue. My Holux gives me about 8 hours. You can find some that have 20 hours and are only slightly bigger. I don't know of any with removeable batteries.
  16. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Cases & Geocaching

There are armband cases for some GPS receivers, obviously intended for walking around.

Remember that most GPS navigation programs are intended for driving, though. Some may have walking modes (CoPilot Live does, at least for the Pocket PC) and you'll have to navigate either by latitude/longitude or by pointing to places on maps.

Another issue is that these programs don't use topographic maps; you'll need another program if you want those.

Steve
  17. haligan

haligan New Member

ok i got alittle confused reading all these post back anf forth. anyone who can help please explain. i have a sprint moto q phone i have a unlimited data plan so that is not a problem. i would like to find gps for my phone that i can go geocaching, hiking , and trail riding. my husband has allsport app on his phone that tracks all if this and is a gps. his phone is cheaper phone. i cant seem to find anything for my phone or dont know what to look for. i am beginning to think i wasted my money in getting this phone. just because i thought it was cool and i would not have to carry my palm or a agenda with me along with a phone. please someone help explain what i need to get or if there is any thing. thanks susan
  18. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

GPS for Geocaching & Hiking

Check out Efficasoft GPS Utilities. That seems to be cheap ($17.95) and allows importing any maps you want.

The Q does allow replacing an agenda or Palm, so I don't know why you think you wasted your money. If geocaching/hiking with GPS was a must-have, you probably should have checked for that before buying. If the GPS Utilities work for you, you got lucky. :wink:

Steve
  19. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

Yeah I agree why would anyone Assume that a phone could do hiking trail GPS maps, lakes and rivers etc. Primary use of GPS now is streetmaps.
  20. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

Steve are you done whining yet? Did you get picked on by bullies in school or something because you seem VERY over sensitive.