Any Q compatible GPS Software besides CoPilot Live Q Edition?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone Software' started by Fountainhead, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Fountainhead

Fountainhead New Member

Any Q compatible GPS Software besides CoPilot Live Q Edition?

That's the only one that I can find. Any others?

If anyone has used this one, any comments? I'd be using a Holux GPSlim 236 receiver.

I use OnCourse Navigator 6 on my Axim x51v for planned trips, but it might be kind of nice to have something that runs on the Q (since I'll carry my phone all the time but not necessarily the Axim) for unexpected situations.
  2. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Windows Live Search (WLS) and Google Mobile Maps (GMM) are free downloadable GPS map programs available for free, but rely on a data connection and do not have voice command but do have a lot of features.

Search and Read.............Fred
  3. Fountainhead

Fountainhead New Member

Thanks. I'm more interested in an actual commercial app that doesn't require a data connection, and is a bit less clunky to use than google maps. After using iGuidance and OCN6 on PocketPC's, using google maps makes me want to slam my face into the pavement.
  4. DrQ

DrQ New Member

Your welcome.

The canned packages are much better from what I've heard and it frees up your phone by not running data. I just don't get enough road time to justify the expense as I think most are $100 plus.

Tried the new GMM and didn't care for it but the new WLS is pretty slick and might be worth trying while you search out the right program for you, since there's ne cost involved unlees you're paying for data.

Fred
  5. Fountainhead

Fountainhead New Member

Yeah, maybe I'll take a look at WLS. I too didn't care for Google maps, at least as compared to a dedicated program. Of course, I could just use my Axim and OCN6 but part of the reason for getting a smartphone was slimming down my everyday load of gadgets. :smile:

Then again, I didn't get a Q with the idea of doing GPS on it.
  6. DrQ

DrQ New Member

I bought mine for just phone, pda and email...then came BT headphones, movies, PDANet, (25) 3rd party apps, slingplayer, GPS and who knows what next. I keep thinking I'm done and someone here mentions a program or trick and there we go again.
  7. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Smartphone GPS Navigation Programs

Here are the programs I've heard of:
    • ALK CoPilot Live (obviously)
    • Garmin Mobile 10 or 20, but they're more of a package. You'll have to see if you can get the software separately.
    • Mapopolis, but they seem to have discontinued consumer sales. You might be able to download the program (which is free) and find maps on the Internet, though.
    I assume you mean ALK CoPilot Live. I have that on my iPAQ hx2795 Pocket PC and I assume it's similar to the Smartphone version. I like it, but because of the way they get map data (much more through user feedback), their maps sometimes aren't as up-to-date as Navteq or TeleAtlas maps.

Steve
  8. Fountainhead

Fountainhead New Member

Thanks. Interesting about Mapopolis. I installed the app to the Q, along with the 9-day demo map of my city. It seems to work. It's really pretty functional, though it shows its age. It'd probably be good enough for my purposes on the Q, but you can't buy the maps! I've been poking around the internet, but no joy.

Nothing's ever easy.:frown:
  9. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Mapopolis Maps

I've heard the maps can be found on some P2P sites. I use CoPilot, so I don't need Mapopolis maps and haven't tried to find them, but if you don't mind ethical gray areas, maybe you can find some. Another option might be eBay, but I haven't looked there, either.

Steve
  10. Fountainhead

Fountainhead New Member

I went ahead and ordered CoPilot Live Q Edition after reading a couple of pretty positive reviews from users on another forum. It was expensive ($189) but in the end I know I'll be happier with that than the other solutions. And besides, I just got my Q a few days ago so I'll have it for quite awhile yet. What sealed the deal for me was that ALK confirmed that the app can be copied off the included 1 GB card onto a 2 GB card so that I can have it loaded and still have room for my other programs. (The OCN6 I use on my Axim cannot be copied to another card for example. It's tied to the card's hardware ID.)

I'll post my impressions of the software in a few days after I've had a chance to play with it for awhile.
  11. crtechguy

crtechguy New Member

Map Software for Q

Hey All, lil new but gettin better at this. I love my Q and looking for map software preferably free and not needing a data connection as i just want it for street finding. Is there anything out there thats free and good to use?
  12. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

Free Mapping Software?

Good luck. You can get free directions easily, but that's usually on a Web site or using online maps, which requires a data package.

If you want free mapping software that doesn't require a data package, you need something that allows putting maps on your Q, like Pocket Streets & Trips. Unfortunately, the programs that I know of that do that aren't free. Even if there is mapping freeware, getting good, up-to-date maps will be difficult for free (mapping companies make their money by selling the mapping data).

If you find some freeware that does that, let us know.

Steve
  13. casemods

casemods New Member

I would also be interested in this.

I have been told to just use PDF's, or large pictures.

You can always screen shot google maps if needed.

mapoplis requires map files, but they don't let you have any :(
  14. rdwing

rdwing New Member

Why not use TomTom Mobile? It works fine on the Moto Q, bar some minor annoyances with address entry. Only requirement is the space to hold the map files, some 800mb for the USA.
  15. casemods

casemods New Member

Is tomtom mobile free and not requiring a data plan?
  16. rdwing

rdwing New Member

It's not free, but it does not require a data plan. I mean, they say the best things in life are free, but that doesn't apply to GPS ;)
  17. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

TomTom Mobile?

What is "TomTom Mobile"? I went to the TomTom PDA page and there's no such product listed; I only see TomTom Navigator and that only seems to be supported on Pocket PCs. (I also checked some of their other product sections, too.)

If there is a TomTom Mobile, please provide a link to it. If you meant Navigator, what address entry problems did you have?

Steve
  18. rdwing

rdwing New Member

My mistake.
    http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=2&Language=1
    That is the product I'm referring to. In order to get TomTom on a USA phone, you need to obtain TomTom Navigator 6. The retail package includes the smartphone version on the install CD; other packages are just drag and drop. You would not install the European maps, but obtain the USA map and drop it onto the root of your memory card.
  19. BigOrange

BigOrange New Member

I use Telenav. It pays for itself on the gas price search along your route.

You do need a data plan, but it is far superior to everything else, plus no updates to keep up with. Co-Pilot will charge you another 99.95 or more to get the next street map update.
  20. Pony99CA

Pony99CA Active Member

CoPilot Update Price

Or less if you're in the President's Club. :wink: I've sent in GPS tracks and map updates, and don't pay that much for updates.

Also, with CoPilot, you're getting the next version of the application, too, not just newer maps.

Steve