Any Napoleon's on Cricket yet?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by phil3315, Mar 8, 2009.

1. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Any Napoleon's on Cricket yet?

I recently changed an old Alltel Q over to Cricket for a friend. it was a bit complicated, as the PRL won't load over the air, and the DATA settings for cricket are not the ones that are in QPST.

I tried the cricket data setting tool that you run from the Command Prompt. I found that it changed the data settings in the 'Settings', 'Connections', 'Dial-up' menu. It removed the 2 VZW entries and put in one for Cricket, and replaced the VZW proxy with a Cricket proxy.

This Connections 'Dial-up' menu doesn't exist in other phones, but is readily accessible in the Napoleon. Looks like it would make it very easy to activate a Napoleon on Cricket, all you have to do is get the Cricket PRL to load. RSD 5.1.6 doesn't recognize Napoleon, so you'd have to find another way to load the PRL, but the data settings and MMS settings could be done directly on the phone, with no additional software or hacks needed.

Curious to see if this works for anyone. I'd have my friend try it, but they chagre him $15 every time he changes phones on his account.
  2. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

might want to try using RSD NetConnected 1.14.33 to try getting the PRL on it as it will see the Nap
  3. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Thanks, this was my first use of RSD General 5.1.6, it worked on the old Q, but caused the Nap to reboot. I'll try to find the version you mentioned.

I didn't realize getting phones to work on Cricket was such a big deal, but people like it because their data plan is much cheaper.
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

No problem, let me know if it works for ya tho. I haven't really used it for anything on my Nap as I had no reason to but I do know it would find it and read the phone.
  5. phil3315

phil3315 Member

it didn't work, only shows Firmware Upgrade icon on the left. Then asks for Userid and Password. I tried several user/pass combinations, it rejected all of them.
  6. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

you should be able to scroll down on that left column and see "provisioning" just like you see in RSD General. When i get home later today I see what mine reads and get back at ya.
  7. beezlewaxin

beezlewaxin New Member

phil3315,

I can help you out with wap/mms on your friend's Q9n... For starters, I have access to Cricket's Dealer Activations online system, and can do an "esn change" with Cricket for your friend for free, a couple of them if needed, incase he wants to switch back to his original phone, for example.

Also, I was the first person to figure out how to get wap/mms on a flashed MotoQ in Jun'07, and I can certainly help you get wap/mms working on this phone, it sounds like it's even easier than previous moto Q phones.

The challenge has always been ***a) lack of Dial-Up connection control panel, b) finding out how to use RSD General for PRL/MIP/SIP stuff. I would *love* to get some working knowledge of the Q9n, and I'd be happy to help you get wap/mms working on your friend's...

The lack of a Dial-Up control panel was the most challenging part of cracking the Q. I had to a) figure out if there was an alternative way to edit dial-up connections, and b) xml?? uh, yeah, ok, I guess I'll have to learn how to provision a wm phone using cryptic .xml files and some tool I never heard of and wasn't easy to find. Fortunately, I'm very fond of command-line tools. This is because they are *powerful*, and it may have taken me a hundred hours to figure all of this out, but in the end, I have an .xml file that does *everything* in one step. I don't need to install a registry editor on the phone, I don't have to even touch the phone keypad, which means, no mistakes, every time.

There's no reason the Q9n can't be done the same way, especially since it's a verizon phone...

-beezle
  8. phil3315

phil3315 Member

Nice work, like you said the command line tools are very powerfull, and eliminate mistakes.

The Q9n is actually mine. I was just hacking an old Alltel Q over to Cricket for a buddy of mine.

I tried the cricket 'delete & set' command line tool on my Q9n to see if it would change the verizon data settings to Alltel, and that's when I noticed the settings change in the 'Dial-up' menu. It actually deleted the Vzw Brodband and Express network settings and installed a new one for "cricket", but I'd changed the settings over to Alltel.

Odd thing is, Verizon and Alltel seem to handle the data differently than cricket. Even after I did the delete& set file on my buddy's Q to get the internet working on cricket, it still showed the Alltel data settings in QPST.

It seems like Cricket uses a user/password stored in the browser to authenticate, where as VZW and Alltel authenticate the phone?? I thought the dialup menue was there for when you're using the phone in international GSM mode, so you can put in the dialup settings for the carrier you're using, althought they don't have all of the APN settings and stuff that GSM phones usually have.

The Q9N has a locked NVM folder, so even with QPST, you can't change the user/password from VZW3g. I could change it in the old Q, but not with this NVM lock on the Q9n.

If you have any ideas about unlocking the NVM folder or changing those settings I'd love to hear it. I've had this napoleon on my alltel plan for about 2 months now and I'm really getting tired of not having data except when I can find wi-fi. Love the phone, but a smartphone without internet is kind of dumb.

Oddly enough, I changed the #777 in the 'Dial-up' menu to my home phone number, just to see if it even used those settings. I clicked on internet explorer, and sure enough, my home phone rang! So it does use the setting, but Alltel doesn't even see it attempting to connect.

I did have someone put it on their VZW account for a few mins, and it did work there, got on the internet, didn't matter what we changed the settings in the dial-up menu to, it connected either way, so they seem to have no effect on VZW or Alltel