Another thread about unlocking

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9h' started by funesto, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funesto

funesto New Member

Another thread about unlocking

My contract with AT&T was just canceled. I want to put the phone on to my Sprint account. Is this possible? If so, do I just simply get the unlock code, throw in a new SIM and follow the same process as everyone else?
  2. bobby-n

bobby-n New Member

you need to flash it to sprint i believe first .... search monster flash files....
  3. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

mmm, no. It's not possible with the Q9h. AT&T uses GSM and Sprint uses CDMA (incompatible). A nextel plan may work, but it's still doubtful.
  4. funesto

funesto New Member

just found that out. oh well.. at least AT&T was very willing to give me the unlock code. they were even willing to walk me through the unlocking process over the phone!
  5. mexiken

mexiken New Member

A Nextel plan would only work if there was a flashable file for the Q9h, which there isn't. And even then, the radios probably just wouldn't work. AT&T uses GSM, while Nextel uses iDEN, which is an offshoot of TDMA, just like GSM is.
  6. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Thought so, They were only considering the merger when I left radio shack so I never bothered to learn much about nextel.
  7. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Thank you for posting that since I mentioned this in another thread and there seemed to be disbelief about it.
  8. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Nextel is pure digital mostly PCS like the old sprint. The whole TDMA/CDMA I thought was only kept alive by Verizon but I guess now I know better :)
  9. mexiken

mexiken New Member

To clarify, PCS is a band of frequencies (1900 MHz), not a cellular technology.

TDMA and CDMA are the two principal types of cellular radio technologies in use today. TDMA is the principal technology used by AT&T and T-Mobile, as well as any GSM carrier. CDMA is used by Sprint, Verizon, Alltell, MetroPCS, and so forth.

Think of it like TDMA and CDMA being C in computing language. They are the base language from which all are built. GSM/WCDMA/CDMA 1x and CDMA Rev A all being like C++, or C#, or C++.net, all extensions of it.

An interesting tidbit though. At first, many people thought CDMA was a clear winner over TDMA, but as the 3G speed wars (as well as the simultaneous voice and data stream) proved, it was not so. And in fact, the clear 4G standard is LTE, which is a variant of GSM specs (itself being a variant of TDMA). Verizon has announced they will support this standard, with trials starting this year. So in the future, we may see phones that could potentially run on both networks. Interesting to say the least....
  10. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

What he said Huh?
  11. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

Yep, just don't even consider Nextel when talking about unlocking. Of the 3 carriers using SIM cards (ATT, T-mobile, and Nextel), only ATT and T-mobile are the choices for unlocked phones. Since T-mobile doesn't have any of their own equipment here in the US, your only choice is really ATT. That's another reason why they give out the unlock code so freely now. Where are you going to go.

Why did the FCC allow ATT to merge with Cingular and monopolize all the GSM towers here. It seemed so fast no one knew until it was done. So, why are they delaying so long for the XM/Sirius deal? Is there any more evidence needed for an investigation of corruption in the government?
  12. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

Maybe they could continue the corruption (at least a little) and allow Verizon to buy Sprint (once they dump nextel)...
  13. ptlee8202

ptlee8202 New Member

No need to worry about corruption. It will always be there. They just need to be less obvious about it.
  14. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I agree with you and I am going to say it, even at the risk of being called paranoid.
  15. mexiken

mexiken New Member

I don't know where you conspiracy theorists get your facts from, but seriously, they make you sound like douchebags.

Heres what happened: AT&T merged with Cingular. At the time, Verizon had about 40-something million customers. Both AT&T and Cingular had 20 something each, putting them slightly over Verizon's numbers after the merge. AT&T and Cingular had 2 different networks. Well call them gold and pink, respectively. The Gold network was upgraded to the tune of 5 Billion dollars, about 18 million dollars was spent on it, daily, on average. That was the original AT&T network, and now the current AT&T network everyone uses, the gold network. The Pink network was SHARED by Cingular and TMo in certain states through an agreement, and was REQUIRED by the FCC to be TRANSFERRED (divested basically) over to TMobile because their networks were so outdated as part of the merger. So Cingular transferred them (and was forced to sell its networks to TMobile in other markets as well where TMobile had no presence) and was left with only the Gold network, which was the old AT&T network. The FCC basically gave a joint network to TMobile just so they could stay competitive. So they they own and operate their own network. I don't know where you people get the idea that AT&T owns more than it does. I guess all you "conspiracy theorists" start a rumor and then spread it like wildfire....ridiculous....
  16. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

Dude, you better be packing more than words if you call me a douchebag. Calling people who are entitled to their opinions douchebags make you sound like one. And where the fuck do you get off calling me a conspiracy theorist? Franckly I don't give a fuck who owns what and why. I was referring to government corruption which is very real whether you like it or not. The XM/Sirius deal is a bunch of bullshit and they have been dragging their balls on it for how long now? but this shit breezes through and customers end up having to deal with it without much notice. Explain how the fuck all AT&T cellulars became Cingular only to become AT&T less than 10 months to a year later?

So you want to make a statement and offer an explanation, welcome as a friend and I respect you for it, but don't you dare make stupid personal attacks like this as it only makes you come off as a dick and lose credibility.
  17. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

be careful, you are sounding like douchebag.
  18. mexiken

mexiken New Member

Well maybe you should have clarified that you were only referring to the XM deal as opposed to everything.

And maybe if you read some, you'd know that Cingular bought AT&T's wireless division only to merge the two. Then, later, SBC (Cingular's parent company) bought ALL of AT&T's bankrupt assets (it already owned just the wireless division), and decided to rename everything to AT&T because well, AT&T is a worlwide name.

You don't read up on things, take things for what you want to see and not what they are, and then wonder how these things happen. Its not quite that difficult. When Cingular reverted back to AT&T, NOTHING changed except the name. Not the CEO's, not the board, not the network, NOTHING. So I don't see why everyone complains so much. We had many customers who asked the same question, and every time, I gave them the same answer.
  19. Guardian

Guardian Active Member

I read up on everything. I just don't think its necessary to shove it down people's throat when it hasn't been asked. Plus, NOTHING gives you the right to call people names or insult them, NOTHING, read up on that.

you fucked up simply put and there is no way you can color it, its still bullshit.
  20. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

ok people lets get this back on track and leave the name calling at the door and watch your language....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.