Another Computer Issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by n99hockey, Apr 8, 2009.

1. EQBob

EQBob New Member

What's the processor on the one you have?

Probably a completely different topic, but we're also looking at a couple of PCs for outdoor situations as data collection devices. XP embedded, fanless, solid state drive, etc. You'd be amazed what you can get for $600.
  2. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

its an intel atom n270 (1.6 ghz) with 1gb of ram and 16gb solid state drive

its an hp 1030nr

what do you mean by data collection device?

this was only 349!

-Sent from my Q9n
  3. EQBob

EQBob New Member

For some of our project/research needs, we have data collection devices in traffic signal cabinets. They might take readings off the cabinet backplane, they might interface to my GigE field network, they might take bluetooth readings for travel times, etc. Standard PC's will work, for a while, but the inside of those cabinets can easily exceed 160 degrees and the condensation cycles on non-hardened equipment will kill it dead.
  4. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Best I've seen are mil-spec Tough Books. There's one in each cruiser and those guys abuse the hell out of them. They take a lickin' . . . Of course, considerably more than $600 :) -Q
  5. EQBob

EQBob New Member

we have them. overkill for what we need. mill specs also deal with vibration etc which we don't need...thermal and condensation is our main concern. a few years ago I designed a new switch with cisco for outdoors and factory floor automation. similar circumstances.
  6. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hi Scott!!!

Any updates on this? Yes, I am being nosy :tounge:
    I'm just hoping that the data wasn't so corrupted that the Recovery Service couldn't pull them off the HD.

Plus just wanted to say Hi!!!
  7. n99hockey

hi Geek!!

we picked up the PC yesterday afternoon and all is well
    they were able to remove all the items infecting the PC as well as save the data AND put it back together the way it was prior to the virus disaster

so i didnt have to spend an entire day putting it back together

took about 3 days and was only 279 bucks

not bad at all

i hadnt had a chance to post my update :laugh2:
  8. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hi Scott, again!
    WOW!!!! That is great! And that's a great price! He got off easy! Usually takes lots more money than that!
    And yeah-you didn't waste a long weekend putting it back together.
    Good--we can consider this matter as resolved & closed? HAHAHA!!!
    But did he learn anything?
  9. n99hockey

a few years back he REALLY F'd up a computer and we had to send it out to get the data back it was 3,000 bucks to recover it!
    he doesnt have a great track record of PC usage...

so yes this particular PC issue is resolved and i have purchased 10 2year licenses for ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 2009 for the office and am in the process of doing everyones computer

edit: i hope he learned (again but we will see how long it lasts) he is currently backing up his data per my 'demand'
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Great job, Puckster!!! I envey you your ten PC network. But it still only takes one gork to fubar everything. Nice goin' with the ZA !!! :) -Q
  11. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Haahahaha!!!
    Yeah--Like you, I will wait to see how long this lasts.
    What's that joke with the tech support call?
    Punch line: put everything back into the box & return it to the store & tell them you are too stupid to own a PC!
    Reminds me --that's all. Not calling anyone stupid!!
  12. n99hockey

haha exactly
    if i had to guess...lets see i have been at this firm for 12 years and he has had ATLEAST 8 or 9 PC's in that time

its not the arrow...its the indian:laugh2:
  13. Geekster

Geekster New Member

All the organs of the body were having a meeting, trying to decide who was the one in charge.

"I should be in charge," said the brain , "Because I run all the body's systems, so without me nothing would happen."

"I should be in charge," said the blood , "Because I circulate oxygen all over so without me you'd all waste away."

"I should be in charge," said the stomach ," Because I process food and give all of you energy."

"I should be in charge," said the legs , "because I carry the body wherever it needs to go."

"I should be in charge," said the eyes, "Because I allow the body to see where it goes."

"I should be in charge," said the rectum, "Because I'm responsible for waste removal.."

All the other body parts laughed at the rectum And insulted him, so in a huff, he shut down tight .
    Within a few days, the brain had a terrible headache, the stomach was bloated, the legs got wobbly, the eyes got watery, and the blood was toxic. They all decided that the rectum should be the boss.
    The Moral of the story?
    The a**hole is usually in charge.

*Disclaimer--I am not calling anyone an a$$hole! If you take offense to this you might try to consider that maybe you are one!!! hahahahaha!!!* :laugh:
  14. n99hockey

hahaha nice!!
  15. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

HAHA nice Geekster!
  16. cindra

cindra Active Member

Good un, Geek! (Nice to see ya again) :laugh2:
  17. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Hi cindra!

Long time no see.
    You got the IPhone? How do you like it?
    Any problems with it or is it a pretty solid phone?

Take care.....
  18. cindra

cindra Active Member

Love it! Solid phone, lots of apps, most free or cheap. Not much tweaking though, can actually USE it. :tounge: How you liking BB?
  19. Geekster

Geekster New Member

Surprisingly I (we) like the BB Curves we bought.
    They were just going to be temporary thing until we could upgrade our contracts & maybe get the Saga's. But once we learned the OS, found out everything it could do right out of the box without a lot of work, the battery life blows us away it's so good, we are keeping the BB's.
    It has it's flaws like every phone but my biggest pet peeve regarding BB's is everything is installed to the phone. They did update software where music, pixs, vids can go to the card but so many things have to stay on the phone.
    Hopefully they will find a way to change some things there.
    Glad you like the IPhone. I have never seen one personally but would like to play with one for awhile to satisfy my curiousity.
    Hey--you could mail yours up to me for a week & let me play with it!!
    HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    I know, I know--I'm already taking that "flying leap off a tall building"
    HAHAHA!!!
    ((H))
  20. cindra

cindra Active Member

Yer funny, Magoo! This phone barely leaves my hand, much less my sight! :tounge: They do sell them at some Walmarts now though, so you might could play with one there...or the iPod Touch is pretty much the same thing without the phone. They are very functional. I do wish the calendar were better, I liked the 3rd party apps for the Q's calendar, but there is an upgrade coming this summer that is supposed to add some more functionality, I think. overal I am really happy with it. I'm glad you like your BBs! (Just that we miss seeing you over here as much.) :laugh2: