Another Computer Issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by n99hockey, Apr 8, 2009.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

Another Computer Issue

my boss is having an issue now...when him computer turns on it says 'Data Execution Prevention - Context Index Service' only option is to close it and then send an error report. then it just hangs, i hit CTRL + ALT + DLT and go to run and type in 'explorer.exe' that is the only way the computer will start to run other wise it just sits at a blank desktop theme

what i have done so far is run malware which found a ton of crap and then ccleaner to clean up his mess and it still does this each time the PC starts up...

anyone have any thoughts?!?
  2. oneeyed_q

oneeyed_q New Member

Take his computer away? :tounge: sorry I dont have anything productive...
  3. n99hockey

trust me i wish i could
    i spend more time trying to fix stuff he has 'no idea how it got there' :angry:
  4. EQBob

EQBob New Member

A couple of things to try. First, see if you can boot in safe mode. If you can, turn off fast indexing and see if that helps anything.

You can also go into My computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, Settings, and see what your (his) data execution prevention settings are. I think by default they are set to only essential windows services. If you turn the second radio button on, Windows explorer should come up in the box, check it and see if that works to solve the problem.
  5. n99hockey

thanks EQBob

his PC is scanning again so i started with your second suggestion
    under performance options - data execution prevention it was set to 'Turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only'

i hit the second radio button and 2 items came up
    1. context index service
    2. generic host process for win32 services

so in theory if i check the first box it should bypass that error when it starts up trying to load that file
    no?
  6. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Try just turning OFF indexing service for now. If his PC is THAT FUBAR'd, I'd suggest getting off all the needed data, reformating the HD and performing a clean (re) install of the OS. :) -Q
  7. FourTwenSesh

FourTwenSesh Active Member

8. EQBob

EQBob New Member

In theory, yes, but I would just turn off fast indexing first, then move on to the more draconian resolutions, which is Option 2. I highly doubt this is a virus.
  9. n99hockey

ok that will be next...safe mode and then turn off indexing if #1 doesnt work
  10. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Possibly but only a "thumb in the dike" one. If the PC is stuffed with malware there will be a plethora of upcroping issues coming and it actually sounds like a fresh start is indicated. 30 years of IT and I've wasted hours and hours of time on "quick fixes" only to ultimately start from scratch. Fix - next - Fix - next - Fix - next . . . goes on endlessly. IMHO :) -Q
  11. n99hockey

while yes this would be a quick way...its not a viable option right now

its not a Q where it can be done in 15 minutes:laugh2:
  12. n99hockey

ok so i didnt get the message in safe mode but i still had to 'run' explorer.exe for the start menu and such to load up

i am going to disable fast indexing and reboot and see what that does

still odd that i have to manually run explorer.exe for the damn thing to kick back in

and this thing is malware free...i ran spybot and malwarebytes
  13. FourTwenSesh

Have you added or removed any hardware recently?
  14. Q-Area51

Q-Area51 Guest

Of course. Been there, done that, got tons of T-shirts. :) -Q
  15. n99hockey

not aside from malware apps i recently installed

ok sooo i cant locate the fast find index...per the MS KB i dont have 'find fast' in my control panel...next?
  16. FourTwenSesh

Run msconfig from the command line as an administrator. Go to the startup tab and deselect just about everything that isn't required to run. Next, what size is the pagefile on that machine? You may need to reduce that as well.
  17. n99hockey

i have done the msconfig item

not sure what you mean by 'pagefile'

after returning from safe mode (and not doing anything but opening the control panel) i cant get to the task manager to run explorer.exe
  18. EQBob

EQBob New Member

If you can run windows explorer, right click on the root of C, do properties and uncheck the tab pertaining to index this drive.

Sure sounds tho, the more you describe, as tho there is a far deeper issue. I've seen the indexing service cause problems, but not to this extent.
  19. n99hockey

im about to reformat this thing through a wall

when i go into safe mode now i log in it says loading personal settings and then it says logging out and takes me back to the log in screen...i cant even get in anymore...all i did was log in once in safe mode and now i cant do anything
  20. FourTwenSesh

Formatting is probably the quickest at this point....do you guys take backup images of your employee pc's? If so you can just ghost the machine with all files current to today's backup (if you have that option available)