Andriod vs Windows Mobile

Discussion in 'Future Motorola Q Smartphones' started by Technician, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Technician

Technician New Member

Andriod vs Windows Mobile

I have a funny feeling if Motorola ever releases a smartphone it will run Android.

If Motorola ever releases a new smartphone. Ok I know some people say they will release something 2009 but Motorola said the same thing 2008 and released nothing. If Motorola does release something they likely just sell it it Asia.

My question is what is motivating Motorola to look at Android it is my theory the only reason anybody looks at Android is Windows Mobile is not free and it cost them something to put Window Mobile in each smartphone.

Am I right?
    Does in come down to just cost?

People somehow think that Google would create a mobile O/S out of the common good of society. Google exists like all corporations to make money. Anybody know where Google gets money when somebody buys an Android smartphone?

I tend to think nothing is free and Google will somehow cause user grief.

Me I like Windows Mobile, seamless integration to my desktop, native exchange, the 100s of applications, and the ablity to customise but I do not think Motorola will support Windows Mobile in the future. Am I wrong?
  2. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

the last likely information that I heard was that motorola was planning to go back to WinMo in 2010
  3. rfarrah

rfarrah New Member

4. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

I should really like Android because I use a *lot* of google services. I love Google Maps, and gmail, and I use google for all my searches.

Ultimately though I like Windows Mobile better though. I dunno why but I don't really want to switch.

I don't know what Motorola has planned for Windows Mobile. I know they are still making windows mobile phones...look at the Moto Surf A300 or whatever it's called.

Anyways lets wait for Windows Mobile 6.5 to be officially released to see what Motorola has in store.
  5. Technician

Technician New Member

I tend to be skeptical about Google.

There has to be a hidden way they make money of they would not offer the service.

I still say the only reason that Motorola is into Android is because they do not need to pay a license.

Windows mobile has airsync, active sync, and MSN.

I wonder what the shiny new Android O/S does?

As far as WM 6.5 and Motorola, I think Motorola is only going to release Android.
  6. wnrussell

wnrussell Active Member

Motorola Switches Phone From Windows Mobile To Android

From a licensing perspective, Android is free whereas Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) charges for each phone that Windows Mobile is put on. Motorola's handset division has been in financial straits for some time now so this could be a cost cutting maneuver.
    It may also be that Motorola is trying to get the device out the door as soon as possible with a more modern OS. Windows Mobile 6.1 is a bit long in the tooth since it is visually almost indistinguishable from WinMo 5, a platform that shipped nearly 4 years ago. WinMo 6.5, which is substantially updated, was just completed this month, but it will be three months or more before the first devices start showing up.
    If Motorola wanted a phone out before then and wanted a more modern looking OS than WinMo 6.1, they could have switched to Android months ago if they wanted to guaranteeing a Q3 launch.
    Motorola and Microsoft aren't parting ways. Motorola said months ago, long before MS would have liked, that WinMo 7 would be out in 2010 and Moto would be a key player in that market.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=0PHXF4LZ4A2XSQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN