An Extensive Breakdown of the Motorola Q11

Discussion in 'Moto Q 11' started by ProtoJMB, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

An Extensive Breakdown of the Motorola Q11

Hey peeps, I am a long time lurker, first time poster. This issue about the Moto Q 11 though has caused me to join.

Alright, at first I was a little excited about the new Motorola Q coming out. I currently have the Q9 Global, and love it! My only qualms about it is no Wi-Fi, but I can live. When I saw this new phone was going to have wi-fi, I went estatic! Then today I just read the specs straight from Moto's website, and my jaw dropped, and like another thread on here says, I was also thinking "YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!"

To show you what I mean, here are specs of the Q11:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=267

and here are specs of the Q9h:

http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motoq9h/experience/pdf/MOTOQ9h_SpecSheet.pdf

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-q9h-at-t/4507-6452_7-32727080.html

Ok, let me break down the important parts:

BATTERY: Well it looks like you get more talk time with the Q11. Perhaps it's because it doesn't have 3G, but you get 450 minutes with Q11 while you get 390 minutes with Q9h. The standbye time looks significantly different, but I think that's because Moto isn't showing the MAX time for Q11. I would hope Moto decides to use the same batteries as the other phones. I enjoy using the same battery from my old motorola phone. So all in all the battery time is somewhat better.

3G/Wifi: Ok, I guess this is the biggest difference. Q9h has 3G and Q11 has Wi-Fi. Why Q11 doesn't have both is beyond me. I know that it is being released in Brazil first, but the only way I see Q11 having 3G is if they break the thing up into separate models as they did with Q9 series. I guess this could be considered a trade off, since you can't get 3G EVERYWHERE anyways, and Wi-Fi is tied down to hotspots. Either way you still have EDGE, so it all depends on your favorite flavor of high speed.

I personally prefer to have 3G if I had to choose.

MESSAGING: Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be the same between the two. Both support the SMS, MMS, Integrated ActiveSync Email Push, Java App for IM, and have the threaded SMS with Windows Mobile 6.1.

AUDIO: This also looks similar:

Q9h: AMR NB, AMR WB, MWA,
    MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WAV,
    MIDI, Real Media

Q11: MIDI, MP3, AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, WAV, WMA, WAX, WMV

VIDEO: All right, here is a big gaff I found. Both phones support MPEG4, H.264, WMV. HOWEVER, the Q9h supports full 30 frames per second, while the Q11 only supports 15 frames per second. This is indeed a step backwards. Maybe not big for some, but this is important for people who would use it as a media player.

CAMERA: The Q11 has a 3.0 megapixel, but the Q9h has a 2.0 megapixel camera. However, again the 9h takes video and plays back at 30 FPS. It doesn't doesn't say exactly what it is for Q11 but I would guess it's 15 FPS. I suppose it depends if you take more video than stills. Overall it looks like the camera is slightly better in the Q11

MEMORY: The memory in the Q11 is 128 MB embeded FLASH, and 64 MB of RAM. The memory of the Q9h is 256 MB embeded FLASH and 96 MB RAM. Now right there you can see is another problem. Yes, you can always add more FLASH memory but you CANNOT add more RAM. I find the RAM issue to be a problem because more RAM = faster performance. I have read in different articles that the Moto Q9h performs better than most smartphones because of it's boosted RAM.

Connectivity: Now while both phones have the USB and Bluetooth connectivity, there are some differences here too. The Q11 has USB 1.1 connectivity, but Bluetooth 2.1. The Q9h however has highspeed USB 2.0, but only Bluetooth 2.0. I really don't think there is THAT big a difference between the two bluetooth standards that it would make or break a choice. HOWEVER, the transfer rate difference between USB 1.1 and 2.0 is like day and night!

GPS: Concerning the GPS, it may be the Q11 has a better GPS than the Q9h. I can't really determine this based on specs.

In conclusion, this is not a BAD phone. You can decide for yourselves if this is a step backwards or if this is something worth getting.

I personally am going to keep my Q9h because overall there aren't any better features on the Q11 to make me buy it. I do not think this is a phone to upgrade to if you currently have a Q9 model.

However, for someone who still has an original Q, or is a first time smartphone buyer, this might be a good buy. I read that this phone will probably have a lower price point. If it is lower than the Q9 series, then I understand why some features would be sub par then because thats how they keep the price low. This is yet to be seen, and will be seen in the coming days.
  2. George Knighton

George Knighton New Member

It looks to me like the Q11 is an addition to the model line, and not the intended replacement for the Q9h.

Doesn't make sense, otherwise.
  3. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

Yes, good point. That's the way I see it, but it doesn't make sense with the numbering. Why not call it the Q9w? w of course for Wi-Fi
  4. darkdomino

darkdomino New Member

lets get real people.... american carriers make **** loads of money from 3G/EVDO services and they aren't going to release it in the states without it.

Look at Verizon's Napolean .. if anything I'd start there for what next-gen Q's are going to be like.
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

That has to be the ugliest Q I have ever seen in my life. I don't care if it has wifi or can fetch me beer from the fridge.That thing is capital U... g... l... y... no thanks! How is motorola supposed to regain market share with that thing???
  6. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

Well if the articles as of late are right, it's supposed to be marketable as a "budget" smartphone. So I guess they want to regain market share by putting it in the hands of the masses?
  7. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well they're going about it the wrong way. We all know that most people are not practical when it comes to cellphones. To most people, cellphones are an accessory. Lets have a look at the iphone shall we? It's behind in features and practicality compared to the Q. Yet it sold like crazy at... what was it when it first came out? $400? $500? Can't remember... but the point is masses won't care if the phone is free. People care more about the cool factor. This phone is just going to help the already sinking the motorola ship.
  8. spork27

spork27 Member

I still think this is only going to be seen in developing markets, much like the Q8.
  9. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

It doesn't matter what market it's going to be in, I much rather buy your version of the Q9m (your avatar) than the Q11. :tounge: Plus I the iphone is pretty much sold in every market now. They can't compete with that thing.
  10. spork27

spork27 Member

I'm glad you like my MS Paint skills. :2cool:
  11. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Motorola needs to hire you as their senior designer!!! They desperately need someone... not that they will only hire you out of desperation...
  12. BMWPower06

BMWPower06 New Member

Hey guys this is my first post here. So basically I have the original Q, I got it like the week it came out and its really showing its age now, the silver covering is like peeling off so I need a new phone. I've been waiting FOREVER for this new Q to come out, but now it seems like you guys are saying its worse than the current Q9 on the market. What do you guys think I should do? Get the Q9 or Q11? I love the looks of the Q11 and I love the Q in general because I can personalize EVERYTHING on it and its windows based. My carrier is Verizon Wireless, btw, and does any1 know when the Q11 will be available to VZW?

thanks
  13. cindra

cindra Active Member

Welcome to the forum! :smile:
  14. PacoJr67

PacoJr67 Active Member

yes; the Q11 (at least in it's current form) appears to be a step down, but my guess is that it will be changed before it's released in the US. it appears to be targeted at foreign markets at this point.
  15. BMWPower06

BMWPower06 New Member

I've heard there is a december release. Is that for the US Market as well? I sure hope it is, I REALLY want a new phone.
  16. ProtoJMB

ProtoJMB Member

Well, like I said, those who DO have an original Q, this may be a viable upgrade. Anything is a step up from what you have now. I guess it depends on which features you value more. As you have seen, I broke down pretty much the main feature comparisons. Hopefully that breakdown will help you get a better perspective.

That would have to be a pretty major upgrade, as it isn't just a matter of 3G or lack there of. So I seriously doubt it.
  17. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Well, if you like the styling of the Q11, then I say go for it. It's definitely an upgrade (with all due respect :smile:) from your Q.
  18. BMWPower06

BMWPower06 New Member

Great, I can't wait for this to come out then. I'm picking it up the DAY its released. Im so excited!!
  19. gdrougas77

gdrougas77 New Member

I'm so Glad I didn't buy an Iphone and got a Q. The Andriod from Google seems pretty slick though.
  20. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

Does anyone know if T-mo stores have a working display of the G1 yet? I wanna see it live.