Always accessing data?

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9n' started by teddyearp, May 29, 2009.

1. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Always accessing data?

On my Nap, it seems as though everytime I look at the screen, it shows the two little arrows by where the little tower showing signal strength should be. In my experience, that means it's accessing data services. Is this about normal? I haven't seen any data being logged at my account for VZW, but just thought I'd ask. I always shut off any programs in task manager once I'm done with them, i.e. tgps, etc., and although I have used dashwire once, I have since un-installed it from my nap.

TIA
  2. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

I think this has been posted already but you can go into Wireless Manager and click on Menu > 1 Disconnect Cellular Data to make sure there is no data connection. The "two little arrows" will go away.
  3. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Hey, that did it, thx!
  4. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Exactly what I do just to be safe. If memory serves me there is a setting somewhere you can set to have it it disconnect when idle for a certain time length but the function doens't seem to work the greatest if I recall correctly. Then again that was on my last Nap on not my current one tho. Guess I should go find that now....lol, and see if it is any better on this one.
  5. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Hey, and when you find that stting, let me know please. I just posted that what gold said worked, I then used IE on the phone and had to go back and do what gold posted again.

thx
  6. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you are right, so forgive me if I was redundant and sorry if this has been posted already, I thought I did read it deep within one of the threads here. It just gets a bit daunting for my old brain to try to glean the info out of a 10+ and 100+ post thread, so again, forgive me.

But, still this fix worked, so thanks a bunch, now I just need to find the setting that aix mentioned above so that I can get it to shut off after a bit.
  7. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

The setting Aixelsyd is referring to is in Connections click Menu > 1 Advanced > Menu > 1 Options
  8. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

The two arrows next to the signal meter just means that the phone is able to access data services - a small iconish Q near the middle of the top bar is what signals data use.
  9. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thanks
    i cant count how many times this has been asked
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp Member

Thanks guys for going easy on the new guy with the total n00b question.
    @gold, found the setting, but like aix said, it doesn't always work, but I've got a data plan anyway.
  11. GoldMembr

GoldMembr Member

Most of the time it works but sometimes it takes longer than the set time. For me i find it takes longer when using the Dynamic Home Screen apps like weather, stocks, rss etc.
  12. Vazguard

Vazguard Active Member

Haha no problem.
  13. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Active Member

Sweet thanks for the specific info.

Curious tho so when the arrows are displaying that really means nothing beside the fact it is ready for broadband access. Was curious if not disconnecting from broadband like GM mentioned will have affect on the battery at all tho. I always do it like he (GM) mentioned and did notice on my HTC homescreen I use that when I check say weather via the homescreen the arrows pop up and then the location icon right next to EV changes to a little smartphone icon. However as soon as I go to the clock the arrows stay but the icon changes back to the location icon. I'm assuming that means the data connection was dropped and it is back to phone even tho the arrows are still displaying. Really makes no difference to me I guess just curious and would like get the most out of my battery. And if that means turning off broadband like mentioned here no biggie, but if it doens't matter they I don't know I'll bother to do so. Any input would be great as always.
  14. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

i think the more you use the phone to just access the menu to disconnect data will use more battery that just letting it stay the way it is

same as killing tasks...why keep going in to the task manager to kill to save battery...leave it alone and you wont keep waking up the device using battery to kill apps that WM will kill when it needs to

i charged my phone yesterday for the first time since thursday...i dont kill apps or kill data and it was the standard Napoleon battery

my 2 cents
  15. igedoc

igedoc New Member

I use exchange and I find that if I set activesync to anything other than manually, the smartphone icon next EV icon and double arrow on the signal stays on. it really kills the battery. I've tried all the "idle disconnect after" settings in the advanced option without any difference. I now just check my emails manually which really defeats the purpose of having exchange and a smartphone. I guess blackberry is better for push emails than windows mobile devices but I like smartphones for other things.

Whenever I get this activated on verizon, I am going to try reflashing it to see if it makes a difference.