Alltel Q9c to VZW Q9c WM 6.1...info pls

Discussion in 'Moto Q 9c' started by MrWhite, Dec 2, 2008.

1. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

Alltel Q9c to VZW Q9c WM 6.1...info pls

(debated here or alltel forum, but since this technically deals with all q9c's I thought this the better place)

Now don't shoot me for asking, since I know the topic has been around, but quite frankly, I've read tons of threads here and at the 'other' forum and I'm still not 100% on what to do to upgrade to wm 6.1 on my Alltel q9c...

I've yet to read a straight-forward answer on this topic, or better yet a "how-to" for us Alltel suckers.

Here are just a few of the things I've heard:

- use the VZW 6.1 flash
    - re-branding it to alltel is a "no-brainer"
    - use US celullar flash which = less branding
    - w/ wm6.1 you won't be able to send pic mms msgs (don't do that anyway), but can send regular txt msgs
    - conflicting reports of a need to make settings changes to the registry and/or other places on the phone
    - will installed apps need to be re-installed?

Well, for someone new(er) to this, the re-branding is NOT a "no-brainer" (sorry). I've worked in IT for years so I have some background and I'm not a complete newb...I'm not afraid to go ahead and flash it, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into first...i.e. what to expect, what if any changes need to be made (registry or otherwise). Any other pertinent info would be really nice too.

I've seen a how-to for VZW q9c/m's elsewhere and they host the files, but I also know you can just d/l the flash pkg from Moto for vzw...any difference?

So does anyone care to share this?

One other thing while I'm at it, why does everyone say to backup (yes I understand the reason for a b-u) with dashwire--why not Active-sync?

Thx in advance. :smile:

PS - if everyone would be so nice as to provide me the info, I just might make up a full how-to that could be stickied so others like me aren't here 'bothering' the veteran users who could be discussing more pressing matters :wink:
  2. sherri

sherri Active Member

Not everyone has Outlook, so the can't sync w, active sync. (Outlook express won't work)

Dashwire backs up pics/texts/contacts/ & PIE favorites...
  3. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

ah, wasn't thinking about the outlook issue
    I've heard another good backup is sprite backup

From what I've now put together, we basically would follow instructions for VZW update, and have to reinstall apps at the end. Still looking for any more info...thx...
  4. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Hi MrWhite,

I am one of the ones who had Alltel 6.0 and have applied the Verizon 6.1 upgraded to it and it was all plain sailing.

1. I have my Q sync'd to an exchange account so all emails, contacts, address book and tasks were taken of via that.
    2. All my data files, eg documents, movies, music are on my SD card and so no issue there.
    3. Never worry about re-installing the apps that I have, KinomaPlay, Skyfire, see it as a great opportunity to have a clean install of these items.
    4. Applied the Verizon 6.1 ROM in about 5 minutes and without any tweaks I was able to do everything I could previously with the exception of two things:

• a. Ability to send MMS messages. (Not to concerned about that!)
    • b. Speeddial to voicemail uses Verizons # not Alltels.

To change the Speed dial for the Voicemail just navigate to Setting | Phone | Call Options and update the Voice mail number to your telephone number.

Other than that and having the Verizon Flash Screen come up when I start and switch off the phone everything is great.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Craig
  5. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

Well wouldn't you know, I just wrote a nice long response and IE7 froze up on me...ok, to go back over things quickly here...

1. mine is also sync'd to outlook, but I wasn't thinking about all the random images that came std with alltel, i.e. img files (not just 'my pictures' folder, also on root of 'Windows' folder), or any other alltel-specific files
    2. as policy, I don't add anything to the device unless I have to--I don't want to stuff-up or slow it down any more than it already is...good idea to keep EVERYTHING on SD card
    3. no worries of the re-install, other than the time it takes; I just wanted to make sure that no changes would be required post-install, settings or the like
    4. yeah mms, whatever, I don't care about that either, I'm not a teenage girl, lol.
    Interesting note on the speeddial, I hadn't heard that mentioned before.

Here's something else I just heard (maybe its old though); the camera and speakerphone keys at bottom of keyboard are switched--meaning one does the opposite action of the other and their pictured action...so camera becomes speakerphone and vice versa...
  6. altimax98

altimax98 New Member

Yup the buttons are switched, but its prob just a simple registry fix. Ill see if I cant fix it myself and get the work around up and goin.

I use dashwire for my backups. It backs up everything on your phone except programs and once you get your flashed phone working just log onto dashwire.com on your phone and it will download everything back down.
  7. cindra

cindra Active Member

Welcome to Everything Q!

We hope you enjoy hanging around. :)
    Don't forget--There is a search area at the top of every page and "sticky" posts in different forums. Chances are your answer is already there.

This has been a canned, but very heartfelt, welcome. :tounge:
  8. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

Thx for the welcome, fellow North Carolinian! :2cool:

I appreciate the 'heads-up'; I'm familiar with forums and post/search/stickies and checked em' all out first (read something like 55 pages to follow just one thread and milk out the relevant info!)...believe it or not, there isn't a straight-forward answer for this...looks like I'll be making one :foot:
  9. cindra

cindra Active Member

That would be neat! I hope you do find an answer. Sorry I can't help ya, AT&T here.

Guess I'll have to change the greeting from the canned response for smart folks (North Carolinians!), but you'd be surprised how many people just have no clue... :wink:
  10. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

Working on the "Allt-hell to Verizon WM6.1 Upgrade How-To"...have gotten some good info so far and good help from others

lol, yeah you know those of us from 'north cackilacky' are a bit quicker on the uptake!:laugh:

Trust me, I know how clueless some can be--it doesn't matter the hobby or interest, but when they first come across a forum, they tend to see it as a personal Q&A assistant, lol. Fortunately, it time people start to get it...it always sucks joining a new forum and being a 'newb' and having people 'look' at you like, well, like you're a newb!

Alright, well any more info or help on the headline topic would be great!

Stay posted for the complete how-to, with customized application/flash downloads...shooting for next week to have it mostly done (cross fingers)
  11. MrWhite

MrWhite New Member

registry fix makes sense...are those keys physically switched on the VZ models? Seems to be the only reason why they'd end up switched...

sweet, dashwire sounds like the best way to go...I'll probably do a few backups, trying out dashwire and sprite--gives me a chance to get to know the software
  12. smp123

smp123 New Member

This may seem obvious, but where do I download the VZW Q9c 6.1 update? I went through the motorola software update site, but when I connect my Alltel Q9c, it tells me my software is the latest version and does nothing. Also, do any settings have to be changed (other than the voicemail speed dial) after install is complete? Thanks!!
  13. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

thats because moto wont let you download the update

look in the many wm6.1 verizon threads there are for direct links to the update file and RSD lite to install it
  14. Mr. Anon

Mr. Anon New Member

I've been browsing around the site for a while...Found some excellent hacks, hints, tricks and whatnot. I would like to thank more people for their help but when viewing with my Q theres no thanks button. Anyway, I have Alltel and want to upgrade to VZW 6.1 but I do occasionally use MMS. Can someone with the verizon version running on alltel post the edit settings for the MMS messaging. I've been checking in the registry and found where MMS references alltel's website for mms messaging and I wonder if changing the reg settings to the alltel settings for MMS would help to solve the MMS issue.
  15. n99hockey

i dont believe it has been corrected by anyone here yet
  16. rudeboy

rudeboy New Member

but welcome aboard :}
  17. craiggiarc

craiggiarc Active Member

Exactly, I have made the change from Alltel 6.0 to the VZW 6.1 and while I can receive MMS messages a fix hasn't been found yet to allow the sending of them unfortunately.

Some people over on another Forum are actively working on it but without success....yet!

Craig
  18. n99hockey

thanks for the update!
  19. Dylan04

Dylan04 New Member

seems good il give it a try
  20. Razzul

Razzul New Member

I too am tired of waiting for Alltel to release a 6.1 update. It looks *very* unlikely at this point even though some of the newer Alltel Q9cs come with it. Can one of those people not dump the rom so we can put it on our phone? If not, I've been thinking of upgrading my Q9c to the Verizon 6.1 update. However, I also occasionally use MMS. I wonder if MMS will magically works once the integration is complete?

I am trying to decide if the upgrade would make the phone work that much better. What are the advantage of 6.1 that make this worth this risk? Also, where to get the original Alltel rom if I want to install the 6.0 WM standard back .

To the OP, great question. Thank you for asking and for all those who responded.