All the registry mods that I know of for Q9h

Discussion in 'Moto Q Hacks' started by jasoninaz, May 11, 2008.

1. n99hockey

n99hockey Moderator Staff Member

get a registry editor
    really...read...it helps
  2. ScottCP

ScottCP New Member

Which would someone recommend?
  3. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Active Member

4. Llaeryn

Llaeryn New Member

download the mobile registry editor from the first post in this thread. if that doesn't work you may have to download aceconfig first then use the mobile registry editor
  5. ninjaap

ninjaap Moderator

I recently switched from mobile registry editor to ceregeditor, because ceregeditor has a few more bells and whistles and a built in unlock tool. The unlock tool is the same as aeconfig or enableRapi, which is what you need to compliment MRE. Plus ceregeditor is still being updated. I believe MRE has been abandoned.
  6. OPOLO

OPOLO New Member

Music Note Key

Does anyone know of a working registry hack to map the Music Note Key diectly to Windows Media Player? Please hook me up!
  7. n99hockey

i think you might need a program called AE Button Plus
    a google search should bring it right up
  8. OPOLO

OPOLO New Member

Well I purchased the AEBplus application & it's nice, but I don't really have any use for it yet. This application cannot assign application specific programs to key.

However, I figured this one out on my own. So to change the music note key to launch directly to Windows Media Player do the following:

HKEY_current_user/controlpanel/keybd
    goto APP2_path and change the value from windows/cingularmusic.exe to windows/wmplayer.exe

enjoy
  9. mkurman

mkurman New Member

Removing AT&T bloatware on Moto 9q

Thanks everyone for the good info in this forum. I recently bought an AT&T Motorola 9q. I'm trying to remove the AT&T apps I don't want or use. Of course long calls to both AT&T and Motorola tech support did nothing expect walk me thru the "no you can't do this" mantra a couple of times.

I looked thru this site and saw that k_semler had some info about how to delete ATT bloatware. But I couldn't figure out how to "navigate to the registry string" as advised to make the changes. I got my PUK code. But when I punched that into my phone, the screen displayed a long number--but no registry files.

So, being left on my own, after a lot of research, it seems there are two major options for doing this.

1. download enablerapi software and use that to give you the permissions needed to delete AT&T programs. Intriguing summary here http://www.lanlogic.net/blog/post/2007/12/05/How-to-remove-files-from-a-Windows-Mobile-device.aspx

2. do a registry hack. Other intriguing summary here.http://www.lanlogic.net/blog/post/2007/12/05/Motorola-Q9h-customizations.aspx

I throughly explored options one and two above and found dead ends for each: Here's what happened.

1. Download Enablerapi option: After a lot of searching, I cannot find an enablerapi download that's current and that works. I found one and downloaded it but the .bat file bombed out in my Windows XP: message "The system cannot find the path specified."
    Another enablerapi file I downloaded gave me a folder with three files; the readme file said this: "1. Transfer Cert_SPCS.cab and EnableRapi.cab to your phone 2. Run Cert_SPCS.cab FIRST and EnableRapi.cab SECOND
    if there's a popup asking you to allow installation select YES
    3. SoftReset your device"

However, since I don't have permissions to add programs/files to my device, I couldn't run either of these files onto my phone as the directions called for.
    2. So I looked at the registry hack option but couldn't figure out how to get into the registry. Instrucitons mention a lot of "registry strings" but I don't know where to find them. Or whether I can even get into them since I lack necessary permissions.

So this leaves me stuck.

Does anyone have a working copy of an enablerapi file that works? For WIndows Mobile 6.1 and Motorola 9q.

Or, does anyone have detailed instructions on how to get to the right "place' on the device to do the registry hacks and what permission workarounds need to be done to get to that "place?". If accessing registry strings requires software, where can I download the software?

Any help would be great. I'm a novice at this and don't want to destroy my device; but surely there must be a reasonable way to remove the crappy AT&T software I don't want...

Thanks,

Melba
  10. n99hockey

um...get a registry editor...
    (hint: there is one posted in the first post of this thread)
    or look in the official software thread in the software forum
  11. mkurman

mkurman New Member

after you get the registry editor

Thanks, Scott. After I posted, I eventually found a working link to a working editor. One step forward.

However, the instructions with that editor included reference to downloading an additional file with a dead link to that file. See the reference to this thread. http://www.everythingq.com/forum/moto-q-9c/unlock-zip-23257.html According to these instructions, someone named "Big-D" offers the file on his web page. However, his web page has been ported over to a new site, and again, the trail is lost.

Does anyone know where a working copy of this additional file apparently need to work with the registry editor is located?

If there's a simpler way to do this, that would be great. Again, I'm a novice user looking for a reasonable way to customize and enhance my cell phone. Explicit, constructive advice would be great.
  12. Sathanvs

Sathanvs New Member

There's an easy way to select the band. If you just goto file manager/windows/band select.exe you get the option the code will supposedly open. I have a q9h and the code didn't open any new menu option.
  13. phatmanxxl

phatmanxxl New Member

Wheres that hack to increase the text limit from 160? I saw it somewhere but I cant find it now.
  14. ParaCAD

ParaCAD New Member